This easy bruschetta chicken recipe combines tender, perfectly cooked chicken with irresistible bruschetta flavors. You’ll love the simple topping made with fresh tomatoes, basil, red onion, and garlic, then spooned over the chicken along with a balsamic reduction.
Easy Bruschetta Chicken Recipe
Topped with a refreshing mixture of diced tomatoes, basil, and garlic, this chicken bruschetta is my idea of the perfect lunch or simple summer dinner idea. Ready in only 20 minutes and super prep-friendly, this simple chicken recipe is one of my family’s favorite meals.
Loaded with traditional Italian bruschetta elements, this recipe is a protein-packed twist made with juicy chicken instead of bread. Every bite packs crunchy tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic, onion, and olive oil – it’s almost like a salad, but better!
Drizzled with a homemade balsamic reduction, this chicken recipe is one of those easy but fancy meals everyone loves.
What Is Bruschetta?
Bruschetta is an Italian antipasto or starter dish, that consists of three main components: toasted bread, a topping, and a spread or sauce. There are lots of variations of these elements, with hundreds of recipes for bruschetta.
Bruschetta recipes can have a veggie-only topping (which usually consists of tomatoes) or a mixture of meat and vegetables. The spread or sauce can be creamy, tangy, salty, bitter, etc. These are meant to add moisture to each bite, so olive oil is a very common ingredient. Finally, some variations of bruschetta completely substitute the bread for grilled chicken, like in this recipe.
What You’ll Need
Despite how fancy this chicken bruschetta looks, it only requires a couple of basic ingredients. Check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact ingredient amounts.
For the Chicken
- Boneless skinless chicken breast – You can also use chicken thighs.
- Avocado oil – Vegetable, olive, corn, and canola oil are great swaps.
- Salt and pepper
- Balsamic reduction
For the Fresh Bruschetta
- Roma tomatoes – Heirloom tomatoes are good substitutes if you remove most of the seeds.
- Red onion – Yellow onion works too.
- Garlic cloves – Please don’t use garlic powder for this.
- Fresh basil – This will give it more of an Italian flair, but feel free to use parsley.
- Olive oil – Don’t use vegetable oil.
How to Make Chicken Bruschetta
If you can mix vegetables and grill some chicken, you’ve already won with this recipe. Making chicken bruschetta is extremely easy!
- Make the bruschetta. Add the Roma tomatoes, red onion, garlic, fresh basil, and olive oil to a medium bowl. Gently mix everything together until well combined. Season with salt to taste. Set it aside.
- Cook the chicken. Use a paper towel to pat the chicken dry on all sides. This step is super important to reduce splattering during cooking. Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Add the oil to a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken. Let it cook for 4-5 minutes per side or until nicely browned. If you have one, use a meat thermometer to check for doneness. It should read an internal temperature of 165°F. Remove the chicken from the heat and set it aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Assemble it. Place the chicken on a plate, top it with 1/2 cup of fresh bruschetta, and drizzle it with balsamic reduction to taste. You can also serve the fresh bruschetta on the side and let everyone add it to taste.
Tips for Success
Follow these tips for the best possible chicken bruschetta:
- Season it. Sprinkle the chicken with 1/2-1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning before cooking for an unexpected burst of flavor.
- Drain excess moisture. Remove most (if not all) of the seeds from the tomatoes to avoid an excess of moisture on your plate.
- Chop the chicken. For an easier-to-eat packed lunch, you can chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces and toss it with the veggie mixture for a chilled salad-type dish. This way you won’t need to pack a knife.
- Add carbs. For a heartier meal and bruschetta points, serve this dish with some toasted bread like baguettes or ciabatta.
- Use turkey. Don’t worry if you’re out of chicken! Grilled turkey is an amazing variation of this recipe.
Can Bruschetta Chicken Be Prepared In Advance?
Absolutely, but I recommend storing the chicken and veggie mixture separately. The vegetable bruschetta mixture can be made and refrigerated up to 5 days in advance. However, the chicken can only be prepared up to 3 days in advance to reduce the risk of food poisoning.
What to Serve with Chicken Bruschetta
I love to serve my chicken bruschetta with my Grilled Asparagus with Lemon Zest. It’s a heavenly combination that adds a lovely zestiness to every bite. For salad options, I like my Classic Wedge Salad with Light Blue Cheese Dressing, Kale Chicken Caesar Salad and my Everyday Go-to Salad.
For other side dishes, try my Gluten-Free Basil Pesto Pasta with Grilled Vegetables, Pappardelle Pasta, or Mediterranean Orzo Pasta Salad. Finally, pair the meal with a fruity drink like my Pineapple Ginger Beer Mocktail.
How to Store & Reheat Leftovers
The chicken and bruschetta mixtures need to be refrigerated separately once fully cooled. The chicken will keep for up to 3 days, but the bruschetta mixture can last up to 5 days.
The bruschetta doesn’t need to be reheated, only the chicken. Sprinkle it with 1/2-1 teaspoon of water and pop it into the microwave for up to a minute or until warm. You can also heat it in a pan over medium heat for 4-6 minutes.
More Easy Chicken Dinner Recipes
- Best Crispy Baked Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings
- Creamy Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Thai Chicken Noodle Soup
- Super Flavorful Chicken Mole
- Quick Teriyaki Chicken Bowls
20 Minute Chicken Bruschetta is a light dinner perfect for the summer – grilled or pan-seared chicken topped with fresh tomato bruschetta and a balsamic drizzle for the finishing touch.
- 4 chicken boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- salt & pepper to season
- balsamic reduction
- 2 cups diced roma tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chiffoned
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt to taste
Make Fresh Bruschetta:
- Add roma tomatoes, red onion, garlic, fresh basil, olive oil and salt to a medium bowl. Using a spoon, gently mix everything together until combined. Set aside.
- Pat both sides of chicken breast dry with a paper towel.
- Season with salt and pepper on both sides and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet to medium high heat. Add avocado oil into the pan and then add chicken breast. Saute for 4-5 minutes per side until nicely browned and the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Remove chicken from the pan and let rest for 5 minutes.
Assemble Bruschetta Chicken:
- Place chicken on a plate, top with 1/2 cup of fresh bruschetta and drizzle with balsamic reduction.
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 272
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 520 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 6 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 32 g
- Cholesterol: 101 mg
Keywords: chicken bruschetta, easy bruschetta chicken, chicken breast bruschetta, chicken with bruschetta, chicken bruschetta recipe