Simple Classic Wedge Salad with a Light Blue Cheese Dressing – a easy refreshing salad loaded with flavor from crispy Bacon to tangy Blue Cheese! Definitely a crowd pleaser and only 179 calories!
Can I just say that this is the first time EVER I posted something with Blue Cheese in it!
And on a side note I have gone back and forth with spelling.. is it Bleu Cheese or Blue Cheese? Personally I think it is Bleu Cheese, but apparently everyone else that searches on google types in Blue Cheese… so alas I surrender and give in to the higher powers of the google search gods and spell it wrong on purpose. 🙁
Just wanted to get that out of the way before you hard core grammar people say… “you spelled it wrong!”
So why I have I never posted anything with Blue Cheese before? Well, to be honest I don’t like it. Or at least I didn’t for a long time. It’s a very potent stinky cheese. The idea that I am eating something that has been intentionally molded kinda weirds me out!
While we were in Colorado for a family vacation, there was a night when all the adults went out to the Breckenridge Brewery and the kiddos headed back to the house with Grandma and Grandpa. It was a nice night out to spend time together, relax, eat good food (hands down my favorite restaurant there), and drink good local beer… especially after a long day of skiing!
One of the things we had was their Buffalo Wings with house made Blue Cheese Dressing. I actually unknowingly dunked my wing in Blue Cheese, I thought it was Ranch Dressing. Whoops. To my surprise I fell in love with the Blue Cheese Dressing and have been addicted ever since!
Hence todays recipe, a Classic Wedge Salad with a Homemade Light Blue Cheese Dressing!
This dressing is made with greek yogurt instead of mayo! It has the perfect amount of tangy flavor from the greek yogurt, a subtle blue cheese taste and rounded out by lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce. It is absolutely addicting! And remember this is coming from a “use to be blue cheese hater”… so that’s saying A LOT!
Now that the dressing is made the vehicle for this sauce is a Classic Wedge Salad .. ok there is a slight twist on it. But not much…
You know me. I have to put my own stamp on the recipes. Just like I’m sure you guys do as well!
This Wedge Salad is loaded with crispy salty Apple Wood Smoked Bacon, sweet Cherry tomatoes, and Green Onions.. everything a classic recipe has. But I also added Roasted Piquillo Peppers (they can be found where the Roasted Red Peppers are in the grocery store) they taste like a slightly spicy red pepper. Ah-mazing! I also added thinly sliced red onion, more for the color than for the taste. 🙂
You gotta make things look pretty! After all we eat with our eyes first!
This Wedge Salad could easily make be a main entree or serve it as a side dish for guests with a fancy steak recipe or salmon… I’m sure you could find a recipe somewhere on the world wide web.. ahem… maybe here! (wink wink)
Alright friends. Don’t be afraid of the “stank” .. aka the stinky Blue Cheese. It is very subtle in this recipe and I think you’re going to love it! 🙂
Bon Appetit friends and Happy Monday!
An easy and refreshing salad loaded with flavor from crispy Bacon to tangy Blue Cheese! Definitely a crowd pleaser and only 179 calories!
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce, sliced into quarters
- 1/2 cup diced cherry tomatoes
- 6 slices of bacon, diced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup green onions, diced
Light Blue Cheese Dressing:
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- salt & pepper to taste
- Make the Dressing: To a small bowl add greek yogurt, blue cheese, milk, lemon juice, garlic clove, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Mix until combined and set aside.
- Cook Bacon: To a medium skillet add diced bacon pieces. Saute for until bacon is browned, about 5-7 minutes. Pour bacon onto a paper towel-lined plate to soak up some grease.
- Cut Iceberg into Wedges: Remove the loose leaves off the outside of the head of lettuce.Place iceberg lettuce on a cutting board. Slice lettuce in half so you have two equals halves. Flay each half on the flat side and slice in half again, so you have quarters.
- Assemble Salads: Top each iceberg wedge blue cheese dressing, bacon, cherry tomatoes, red onion and green onions. Add more crumbled blue dressing if you’d like. (optional)
- Serving Size: 1 wedge salad
- Calories: 179
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 819 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 12 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 10 g
- Cholesterol: 28 mg
Want More Salad Recipes?