Detox Strawberry Chicken Salad drizzled with a Honey Mustard Dressing – the perfect light and easy dinner recipe!
Detox Strawberry Chicken Salad with juicy strawberries, mandarin oranges, blueberries and grilled chicken then drizzled with a Honey Mustard Dressing. The perfect light and easy dinner for your family – guaranteed to be a new favorite salad!
Ok. So I’ve got three exciting things. First one is, my parents finally come back from France on Sunday. They have decided to spend all my inheritance and travel the world. I don’t blame them. Late last year they went to Austria for 15 days. About a month ago they went to Australia and New Zealand for 21 days and recently they went to France and Germany. I’m ready for them to be home.
I guess now you know where I got the travel bug from. 🙂
The second thing I’m excited about is that March Madness starts next week! Woohoo! I love sporting events and I especially like trying to play games around those sporting events, I guess that’s why I like Fantasy Football, it helps me get into the season. For March Madness we typically do a huge bracket with our families, everybody fills one out. It’s so fun, winner gets bragging rights! Although, now that I think about it, maybe we should do a prize too. Hmmmm. Do you guys fill out brackets to try to get into all the hype?
Lastly, the third thing I’m excited about is Strawberry Season. It literally is right around the corner! Peak Season for Strawberries, when you see the prices drop to $1.99 a pint, is April – June. I don’t know about you, but I can’t wait. We eat A LOT of berries over at this house so it will save me some money.
To help “kick off” strawberry season and salad season I combined the two and made a Detox Strawberry Chicken Salad.
The first thing you need to make sure of before you start, is ensuring you get the perfect strawberry!
How do you pick strawberries?
Buy strawberry during their “in season.” During the winter months strawberries are usually imported. If strawberries come from far away locations that usually means they are picked before they are ripe, which means your strawberries won’t be as sweet, they will not fully ripen and most likely will go bad faster. So, buying in season is the best. When you do buy strawberries you want them to be bright red in color, don’t worry about the shape of them or the size … do buy organic because strawberries are on the dirty dozen list.
If you use these simple guidelines you’ll end up with a bright red SWEET juicy strawberry every time. What’s your favorite way to eat strawberries? Do you just eat them plain? Do you make jam with them? Or put them in a dessert?
I’m all about putting them in salads. It’s a nice sweet bite that takes away some of the bitterness leafy greens can give you some times.
How do you make a Simple Strawberry Salad?
- Start with 4 cups of spinach, add it to a bowl.
- Add in 1 cup of fresh sliced strawberries, pecans, green onions and goat cheese.
- Drizzle with a fresh lemon vinaigrette.
- Toss and coat everything. Serve immediately.
This recipe is just for a basic strawberry salad. But todays salad is anything but basic! It is amped up with more juicy berries, flavorful grilled chicken, veggies and a sweet tangy honey mustard dressing for the finish.
I guarantee everyone at the table will be begging for more of this one. My 6 year old son devoured this salad, spinach and all! (fist pumps all around) He’s actually turning into quite the little salad lover, which makes me happy.
Detox Strawberry Chicken Salad with juicy strawberries, mandarin oranges, blueberries and grilled chicken then drizzled with a Honey Mustard Dressing.
- 8 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
- salt & pepper to season
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/3 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup mandarin oranges
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
Honey Dijon Dressing:
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dry basil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat a grill to medium high heat, about 350-375 degrees F.
- Season both sides of chicken with salt & pepper.
- Spray grill grates with cooking spray or rub down with olive oil soaked cloth.
- Place chicken on the grill. Grill chicken for 5-7 minutes per side, or until there is no longer any pink. (this will depend on the thickness of your chicken)
- Remove from grill and let rest on a cutting board for 5 minutes to let the juices redistribute.
- In the meantime, to a small bowl add: whole grain mustard, dijon mustard, honey, lemon juice, garlic clove, dry basil, salt and pepper. Whisk until smooth and looks like a dressing. Set aside.
- Assemble the salad: to a large bowl add baby spinach, strawberries, blueberries, broccoli, mandarin oranges, pecans and green onions. Top with sliced grilled chicken and drizzle with honey mustard dressing to serve.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups + 3 oz chicken
- Calories: 189
- Sugar: 14 g
- Sodium: 300 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 21 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 14 g
- Cholesterol: 28 mg
Keywords: strawberry salad, strawberry chicken salad, chicken salad recipe, gluten free salad recipes, detox salad recipes, easy chicken salad recipes, spinach salad
Other Healthy Salad Recipes?