An everyday Easy Salad Recipe that’s sure to be your go-to. This simple salad is made in 5 minutes and served with a light homemade vinaigrette. The perfect side dish for your next dinner and a great way to eat more greens.
My Go-to Everyday Salad Recipe
Do you have a side salad at every meal? Or, if you have a salad do you like to make a “meal” out of it? I’m usually on the later camp. If I’m going to have salad I usually add protein, nuts and all the things to make a meal out of it.
However, this year, I’m trying to offer a quick side salad at every meal. Not only is it a great way to get more greens in your diet. But you also add fiber, which helps with digestion.
Benefits of Eating Salad Before a Meal
Salads are lighter and less dense than most foods. Which means they will move through your digestive system faster. Eating raw water packed vegetables will “lubricate” your digestive track and help move the heavier foods through with more ease. Therefore helpings with bloating as well. So eat a salad … before every meal!
The nice thing about this recipe is you’ll probably have everything on hand already. It doesn’t call for fancy ingredients, just straight up vegetables and then a homemade dressing. Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this simple side salad.
- Greens: I like to use spring mix because it is easy, triple washed and all I need to do is through it in the bowl instead of chopping and washing.
- Tomato: You can use any tomato you’d like. I prefer cherry tomatoes, but roma, heirloom and beef steak tomatoes would work as well.
- Cucumber: I find regular cucumbers are too waxy for me. So I use english cucumbers because I can use the peel and they are less bitter. They give a nice refreshing crunch with every bite.
- Red Onion: Not a necessary ingredient because I know some people don’t like onions, but it does add flavor.
How to Make a Light Homemade Salad Dressing
A simple salad dressing can be whipped up in minutes. For a fresh flavor I love to use lemon juice, however if you don’t have fresh lemons on hand you can always substitute with red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
- Lemon Juice: Fresh is always best.
- Olive Oil: Get a good first cold pressed extra virgin olive oil to add good flavor.
- Dijon Mustard: I love a good tangy dijon dressing and it adds so much flavor to a dressing as well as thickens it up. (if they dijon is too strong you can make it more mild by adding a 1/2 teaspoon of honey)
- Za’tar Seasoning: A flavorful Mediterranean spice that has a combo of sesame seeds, thyme, lemon peel, oregano and salt. If you don’t have za’tar on hand you can substitute with dry basil and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Garlic: Fresh garlic is a must in all my dressing. If you don’t have fresh garlic on hand you can use garlic powder, just use half the recommend measurement.
- Salt & Pepper: This is a must with everything you make.
How to Make this Easy Salad Recipe
This salad will take you less than 5 minutes to make which makes it the perfect healthy side to accompany every meal. Hence why I names it the everyday salad!
- Make Dressing: To a small bowl add: lemon, dijon mustard, za’atar seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper. Whisk together until combined. Then slowly pour in olive oil and whisk the entire time. Set aside.
- Toss Salad: To a large bowl add spring mix, tomato, cucumber and red onion. Drizzle with dressing. Toss. (or serve dressing on the side)
- Serve and devour.
Take this salad to the next level but adding in other ingredients. Here are some ideas for fun add-ins.
- Nuts: Most of us have a bag of nuts in the pantry begging to be used up. Add pecans, almonds or pepitas to your salad for a crunch and more protein.
- More Vegetables: I honestly try to add in any other veggies I have in the fridge. So grated carrots, mini bell peppers, olives, artichokes, sun-dried tomato or any other veggie you can think of.
- Protein: Make this salad a meal by adding pan seared chicken, rotisserie chicken or steak.
- Cheese: I’m from Wisconsin and we add cheese to everything. This salad would be great with a stinky gorgonzola, goat cheese, feta, manchego or an aged white cheese.
- Change up the Dressing: Don’t want to use a lemon vinaigrette, no problem. Change it up by making a balsamic vinaigrette, a Greek vinaigrette, a light blue cheese dressing or a homemade ranch dressing.
What to serve with this easy side salad?
Here are some of my favorite entrees to serve along side this quick & light salad.
- Whole30 Baked Salmon with Spice Rub
- Perfect Roasted Whole Chicken (Rotisserie Chicken)
- Pan Seared Ribeye with Herb Butter
- Baked Salmon with Avocado Salsa
- One Pot Quinoa Stuffed Pepper Recipe
- Keto Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers
- 20 Minute Garlic Butter Baked Salmon
An easy everyday Salad Recipe that’s sure to be your go-to. This simple salad is made in 5 minutes and served with a light homemade vinaigrette. The perfect side dish for your next dinner and a great way to eat more greens.
Everyday Salad Recipe:
- 5 oz. spring mix
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup english cucumber, sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon za’atar seasoning (or dry basil)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- To a small bowl add: lemon, dijon mustard, za’atar seasoning, garlic, salt and pepper. Whisk together until combined. Then slowly pour in olive oil and whisk the entire time. Set aside.
- To a large bowl add spring mix, tomato, cucumber and red onion. Drizzle with dressing. Toss and serve. (or serve dressing on the side)
Keywords: easy salad recipe, simple salad recipe, easy side salad, everyday salad, homemade dressing, side salad recipes, lemon vinaigrette, best side salad, easy salad dressing recipe,