An Easy Whole30 Baked Salmon rubbed down with a smoky spice rub, rosemary, thyme and fresh lemons. This quick and healthy dinner idea is bursting with flavor and packed with nutrients for the ultimate bite.
Whole30 Baked Salmon with Spice Rub
One of my good friends and her husband are doing Whole30 this month. I know it’s kinda a thing for January. Truth be told, I’ve never done Whole30 before. But, she has been asking me to do more Whole30 Recipes. So, of course I had to deliver. This ones for you and all those other Whole30’ers out there!
Whenever I’m struggling with what to make for dinner, my go to is always – Salmon. It’s quick, no fuss, healthy and so easy to add flavor to! Plus my kids love it! Some of our favorites are this Paleo Baked Salmon with Avocado Salsa, Whole30 Chili Lime Grilled Salmon with Mango Avocado Salsa and my 20 Minute Garlic Butter Baked Salmon.
This recipe has minimal ingredients and is great for cooking levels of all kinds.
- Salmon: I prefer to buy the large filet instead of individual portions. However this recipe will translate for both. Just buy skin on.
- Avocado Oil: Adding a small brush of this oil on top will give you a nice crust and hold all the spice rub together on the flesh.
- Spices: I use a combo of garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper for the spice rub. Then I gently rub these spices onto the flesh side of the salmon. It gives a nice flavorful crust on top.
- Fresh Herbs: I find that fresh herbs on top of salmon really add flavor. You’ll need fresh rosemary and thyme for this baked salmon. As they bake in the oven over the salmon it permeates the fish and makes it irresistible.
- Lemon: Slices of fresh lemon underneath or on top of the salmon keep your fish moist and flavorful. You can also squeeze the lemon on top after baking to brighten the fish back up.
Can you have farmed raised Salmon on Whole30?
Farm Raised Salmon is Whole30 compliant. However, wild caught salmon is always better and more nutrient dense than farm raised.
How to Make Whole30 Baked Salmon?
Don’t let this recipe deceive you. It’s easy enough for a weeknight family dinner but fancy enough for date night.
- Prep Oven & Baking Sheet: Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with tin foil. Place salmon in the center of the foil.
- Mix Spice Rub: In a small bowl, add garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Mix everything together until combined.
- Season Salmon: Pat salmon dry. Brush avocado oil on top. Season with spice rub and fresh herbs. Tuck lemon slices under the salmon.
- Bake: Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes, you want it flaky. Remove salmon from oven and turn broiler on HIGH.
- Place under Broiler: Place salmon back under broiler for 2 to 3 minutes till there is slight browning on top. Remove from oven. Garnish with chopped parsley and more lemon slices.
How to Store Leftover Salmon
In my opinion, Salmon is always best day of. But if you end up with leftovers I highly recommend storing the in an air tight container within the first 30 minutes. (so they are fresh and don’t sit in open air too long) Then store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
You can reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop. I would also make sure to finish with fresh lemon to brighten the dish up. Leftover salmon tends to be a little dry.
What to serve with this Baked Salmon?
Salmon goes with just about anything. But here are our favorites sides to serve with salmon.
- Warm Fall Farro Salad with Maple Dijon Dressing
- Best Spinach Salad with Apples, Pecans and Gorgonzola
- Refreshing Tabbouleh Salad
- Grilled Asparagus with Lemon Zest
- Classic Wedge Salad with Light Blue Cheese
An Easy Whole30 Baked Salmon rubbed down with a smoky spice rub, rosemary, thyme and fresh lemons. This quick healthy dinner is bursting with flavor and packed with nutrients for the ultimate bite.
- 2 lb. salmon
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1 large lemon, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with tin foil. Place salmon in the center of the foil.
- In a small bowl, add garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Mix everything together until combined.
- Pat salmon dry. Brush avocado oil on top. Season with spice rub and fresh herbs. Tuck lemon slices under the salmon.
- Place in oven and bake for 10 minutes, you want it flaky.
- Remove salmon from oven and turn broiler on HIGH.
- Place salmon back under broiler for 2 to 3 minutes till there is slight browning on top.
- Remove from oven. Garnish with chopped parsley and more lemon slices.
- Serving Size: 4 oz.
- Calories: 213
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 118 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 1 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 23 g
- Cholesterol: 57 mg
Keywords: baked salmon, baked salmon recipe, whole30 salmon, whole30 baked salmon, how to bake salmon, how to make whole30 salmon, salmon with spice rub