Lightened up Broccoli Salad filled with fresh broccoli, cranberries, red onion, pepitas, BACON, and creamy dressing made with greek yogurt! This salad will be a hit and you’ll love the short cut I take!
Oh… the good old broccoli salad!
Did anyone else grow up on this stuff? My mom use to make it all the time!
I had a love hate relationship with broccoli salad. I LOVED the taste! It was hands down one of my favorite salads, especially around the holidays. I use to load my plate with my moms broccoli salad … basically it took up half my plate and the rest of the plate was left to the “other” stuff.
Now, the “hate” part … the making it part. See back in those days … because I’m old now (crying in the corner) … they didn’t have precut bags of broccoli florets. Ahhhh!!!
I know .. so my mom use to make ME little old ME cut all the broccoli florets. Apparently it was my penance for eating the salad, I had to do all the hard manual labor to enjoy the salad. And I hated every second of it.
So needless to say I LOVE the idea of buying a bag of precut broccoli florets! It saves me time AND doesn’t make me relive those horrible days of cutting 8 cups worth of broccoli.
Even though the cutting was horrid the flavor was worth every cut. I think that Broccoli Salad is a classic recipe in most families. Definitely around the holidays and summer months!
Normally Broccoli Salad is made with a dressing that has a base of mayo, vinegar, and sugar.
Yup .. that’s it. And it tastes awesome when it combined with everything else. But …. not the healthiest!
Until now! I recreated the tangy sweet flavors of that dressing and made it lighter but using greek yogurt, honey, apple cider vinegar and mustard. YUM! Absolute perfection!
If you’re like me .. addicted to broccoli salad … then you’re gonna adore this Lighten Up version!
It’s easy to make, comes together in less than 20 minutes, has BACON (um.. that should be reason enough to make it) and is down right delicious! So if you’re looking for a side dish to make for the 4th of July look no further.
Well.. maybe a little further .. just scroll down so you can get the recipe. 🙂
Bon Appetit my friends!Print
- 8 cups broccoli florets
- 7 strips of bacon, diced
- 3/4 cup diced red onion
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup pepitas
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt (full fat)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons stone ground mustard
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Heat a pan to medium high heat.
- Add the bacon to the pan and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until they are crispy. Place cooked bacon on a paper towel lined plate to dry and let some of the grease fall off.
- In a small bowl, add greek yogurt, stone ground mustard, honey, and apple cider vinegar. Whisk until combined. Set aside.
- To a large bowl add broccoli florets, bacon, red onion, cranberries, pepitas and dressing. Gently toss ingredients until they are mixed together and the broccoli is coated with dressing.
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup
- Calories: 138
- Sugar: 14 g
- Sodium: 214 mg
- Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 7 g
- Cholesterol: 7 mg
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT #JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!