Grilled Sweet Potato Salad with bacon and a tangy honey mustard dressing. The perfect healthy & delicious side dish this summer!
GRILLED SWEET POTATO SALAD with crispy bacon, grilled scallions and a tangy honey mustard dressing. This Potato Salad is so flavorful, easy to make, gluten free, paleo and the perfect side dish to bring this summer!
Well, we just got back from Denver late Sunday night! It was our first trip with Maddie, more specifically our first trip on an airplane with Maddie.
If I’m being honest I was super nervous. Nobody wants to have a crying baby in an enclosed area for 2 hours while suspended in the air with no where to go. Add in the “seatbelt sign” and well, then you’re just screwed. Luckily, Cason has always been a great traveler. We haven’t had any issues with ears hurting or him screaming uncontrollably. So I was hoping, praying … fingers and toes crossed that Maddie was going to be the same.
She did great. On the way there she started to fuss a little while we were boarding. I call her our little raptor or pterodactyl, because she has such a high pitch scream that pierces your ears. I felt bad as people were boarding and knew they were probably thinking … oh no crying baby already! But I knew she was crying because she was hungry. I wanted to hold her off until we started take off. We’ve always fed the kids on the way up and on the way down so it helps them swallow and therefore pop their ears. I ended up feeding her early and then she fell asleep on me.
She woke up right when we were starting the decent into Denver so we let her finish the bottle and voila. We landed!
First trip in the books and a success! Whew!
Do you get anxious before flights with kids?
Or is that just me?
When Cason started to get older and was able to play on the ipad it was a game changer. I didn’t have to entertain or watch over him as much. I just had to make sure he had snacks, a drink and a show to watch and he was good. Soooo nice!
Ahhh… airplane travel with kids.
Ok, now that we’re back home it’s back to life, back to cooking and back to work!
Starting with this Grilled Sweet Potato Salad.
I love a good potato salad, but more times than not it’s usually covered in a mayo or greek yogurt based sauce. While tasty it isn’t always the best.
This potato salad is slightly different. First off, you get flavor from the sweet potato themselves because they have more flavor than regular potatoes. Then those sweet potatoes are thrown on the grill along with scallions and pick up a slight smokey taste. Once that’s done, I added everything into a bowl with some crispy bacon (YAASSSS) and then topped it with a Honey Mustard Dressing!
This Potato Salad is absolutely delicious! Hands down it will be a staple along side burgers for us all summer long!
I liked this salad best served warm but honestly it’s good cold too. I had a hard time not munching on it while the main course was cooking. Best of luck to you!
Bon Appetit friends!
Grilled Sweet Potato Salad with bacon and a tangy honey mustard dressing. The perfect healthy and delicious side dish this summer!
- 4 sweet potatoes, sliced into 1/4” rounds
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 5 strips of bacon, cooked and diced
- 6 green onions
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat grill to medium high heat, about 375-400 degrees F.
- To a large bowl add sliced sweet potatoes and drizzle with canola oil. Toss to coat.
- Place sweet potato slices directly on the grill and grill each side for 4 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, place green onions directly on the grill. Grill each side for 2-3 minutes, until slightly charred. Remove from grill and roughly chop.
- Once the sweet potatoes are charred and cooked through, remove those from grill and place in a large bowl.
- To that same large bowl add charred green onions and bacon. Set aside.
- Right before serving, to a small bowl add minced garlic clove, whole grain mustard, dijon mustard, honey, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine everything.
- Drizzle the dressing over the sweet potatoes and gently toss to coat all the potatoes. Serve.
** it’s better served warm but will still be good cold**
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 157
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 150 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 6 mg
Keywords: sweet potato recipes, easy sweet potato recipe, healthy side dish, healthy sweet potato side dish, healthy side dish idea, easy side dishes
Want More Healthy Side Dishes for the Summer?