This grilled sweet potato salad is a unique twist on the classic potato salad. Filled with thin slices of grilled sweet potatoes, crispy bacon, green onions and tossed in a tangy honey mustard dressing for one delicious bite! Guaranteed to be your new go to side!
Table of Contents
Healthy Sweet Potato Salad
Thinly sliced and topped with smokey bacon, this grilled sweet potato salad is crispy and tender at the same time. The only thing that’ll make you love it more is that it’s ready in 30 minutes!
Paired with a quick honey mustard dressing, every bite is wonderfully sweet, savory, and tangy. Don’t worry if you’re in a bit of a rush… You can always use your favorite dressing or add leftover roasted veggies. Kept simple or sprinkled with crumbled goat cheese, you might find yourself setting the main dish aside to load up on this sweet potato salad.
Whether you serve it warm or cold, good luck putting your spoon down once you’ve had a taste. This easy, healthy recipe is packed with so much flavor you’ll be making it on repeat all summer.
Why You’ll Love This Sweet Potato Recipe
Even with a homemade dressing, this recipe beats most (if not all) potato and sweet potato salads in terms of easiness and flavor.
- Prep-friendly. Dice the sweet potatoes, cook the bacon, and/or prepare the dressing in advance to cut down on cooking time throughout the week.
- Easy. All you need to do is keep an eye on the veggies for a short amount of time and then toss them in the dressing. Not a lot can go wrong regardless of what level home cook you are.
- Healthy. Coated in a homemade dressing and packed with sweet potatoes, this recipe is as healthy as sweet potato salads get.
What You’ll Need
You’ll be surprised how easy it is to make honey mustard dressing at home for this sweet potato salad. Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post for full ingredient amounts.
- Sweet potatoes
- Canola oil – Vegetable or corn oil work too.
- Bacon – Pork and turkey bacon are great.
- Green onions
- Garlic – Don’t use garlic powder for this.
- Whole grain mustard – Please don’t use yellow mustard.
- Dijon mustard
- Honey – Use honey or maple syrup. No sugary syrups.
- Lemon juice – Feel free to use lime juice.
- Apple cider vinegar – Don’t use white vinegar.
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
How to Make Grilled Sweet Potato Salad
It’s all about perfectly grilling the sweet potatoes. Check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for full step-by-step instructions.
- Prepare the grill. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat (about 375-400F.) Lightly spray the grill grates with cooking spray. This step is optional but will prevent the sweet potatoes from sticking.
- Add the oil. Place the sweet potatoes in a large bowl. Add the oil and toss until completely coated. Place them on the grill.
- Grill them. Grill the sweet potatoes for 4 minutes on each side. Remove them from the grill once charred and cooked through. Place them in a large bowl.
- Char the green onions. Place the green onions on the grill too. Don’t overlap them with the sweet potatoes. Grill them for 2-3 minutes or each side or until slightly charred.
- Chop them. Carefully remove the green onions from the grill. Roughly chop them and set them aside.
- Mix the ingredients. Add the green onions and bacon to the bowl with sweet potatoes. Mix everything together.
- Make the dressing. Add the garlic, whole grain mustard, dijon mustard, honey, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper to a small bowl. Whisk until well combined.
- Toss well. Drizzle the dressing over the sweet potatoes and gently toss to coat all the sweet potatoes. Serve and enjoy.
Tips for Success
Not only will these tips make life easier, they’ll also make your grilled sweet potato salad much yummier.
- Use leftovers. Adding leftover roasted veggies like potatoes, carrots, and squash is a great way to reduce food waste while adding more flavor and texture to the salad.
- Make it creamy. Sprinkling 1/4-1/2 cup of crumbled feta or goat cheese over the salad will add lots of richness and creaminess.
- Use store-bought. If you’re in a rush, you can always use your favorite store-bought honey mustard dressing instead.
- Add greens. Adding 1-2 cups of arugula, raw or sautéed spinach, or kale to the recipe will make it extra healthy.
- Make even cuts. If all your sweet potato slices are more or less the same thickness, they’ll cook evenly. If not, you’ll have to cook some slices much longer than others, making the process longer.
Is Grilled Potato Salad Served Hot or Cold?
This grilled sweet potato salad is best served warm, but it’s also quite good when served cold. Give it a go! Both ways are amazing.
What to Serve with Sweet Potato Salad
Sweet potato salad is a great side for beef, chicken, turkey, or seafood dinners. I love it with my Filet Mignon with Mustard Cream Sauce and of course an Epic Grilled Burger. If I’m going for chicken or turkey, my Air Fryer Chicken Breast and my Ultimate Turkey Burgers are great options. For seafood, try it with my Honey Blackened Salmon and Pan Seared Chilean Sea Bass.
How to Store Leftovers
Once fully cooled, you can refrigerate or freeze this grilled sweet potato salad.
- Fridge. Pop it into an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- Freezer. Place it in a freezer-friendly bag or container and freeze it for up to 2 months. Thaw it overnight in the fridge before reheating as usual.
For reheating, microwave it for up to a minute or until warm. You can also heat it in a pan over medium heat for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
More Healthy Sweet Potato Recipes
- The Most Epic Vegan Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry Recipe
- Easy Vegan Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Cajun Shrimp Sweet Potato Bites
- Crispy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Easy Sweet Potato Black Bean Quinoa Bowl with Crema
This 30-minute grilled sweet potato salad with bacon and honey mustard dressing is an easy side you’ll be making on repeat this summer.
- 4 sweet potatoes, sliced into 1/4” rounds
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 5 strips of bacon, cooked and diced
- 6 green onions
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat grill to medium high heat, about 375-400 degrees F.
- To a large bowl add sliced sweet potatoes and drizzle with canola oil. Toss to coat.
- Place sweet potato slices directly on the grill and grill each side for 4 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, place green onions directly on the grill. Grill each side for 2-3 minutes, until slightly charred. Remove from grill and roughly chop.
- Once the sweet potatoes are charred and cooked through, remove those from grill and place in a large bowl.
- To that same large bowl add charred green onions and bacon. Set aside.
- Right before serving, to a small bowl add minced garlic clove, whole grain mustard, dijon mustard, honey, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine everything.
- Drizzle the dressing over the sweet potatoes and gently toss to coat all the potatoes. Serve.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 157
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 150 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 6 mg
Keywords: grilled sweet potato salad, sweet potato salad, healthy sweet potato salad