Learn how to make the perfect Honey Garlic Cedar Plank Salmon on the grill every time. Slather each piece of fresh salmon with a savory honey garlic butter, top with fresh lemon then infuse with smoky cedar flavor for the ultimate summer dinner recipe!
Table of Contents
- Easy Cedar Plank Salmon on the Grill
- Do you have to soak cedar planks before grilling?
- Are cedar planks for salmon reusable?
- What does a cedar plank do for salmon?
- How to make Cedar Plank Salmon?
- Can you cook Cedar Plank Salmon in the oven?
- Tip and Tricks for Cedar Plank Salmon:
- What to serve with Cedar Plank Salmon?
- Get the Recipe
Easy Cedar Plank Salmon on the Grill
Fish can be a touchy protein to cook on the grill. There are a lot of “fears” surrounding fish and how to not make a massacre on the grill. To be honest, I get it. I was afraid for the longest time. I started out with baby steps, I learned how to grill it on a cedar plank firs and I’m teaching you all my tips and tricks to make the most flavorful Cedar Plank Salmon ever!
I have literally made this recipe 3 times in the past 2 weeks, it’s that good and honestly I could keep making it! It’s easy, super flavorful and healthy!
Do you have to soak cedar planks before grilling?
Yes. Soaking the cedar plank for at least 30 minutes is optimal. This will translate into more cedar flavor into whatever you’re cooking, whether it’s fresh, chicken or vegetables. You could even add fresh herbs or whole spices to add more flavor to the cedar plank, because it will soak up whenever you’re soaking it in. While all this is great, the KEY is that soaking helps minimal flare ups while cooking on the grill. Be sure to have a spray water bottle near when grilling in case you still have minor flare ups.
Are cedar planks for salmon reusable?
You can absolutely reuse cedar planks if they are prepared and cared for properly. For example, if you are cooking salmon on the cedar plank I would use that plank for fish or salmon from then on. If you’re careful to soak it for a decent amount of time and not put directly on high heat so the board warps you should be able to use them again.
What does a cedar plank do for salmon?
This is such a simple and elegant technique for cooking salmon that infuses so much flavor with minimal effort. Think about it, all you’re doing is adding a cedar plank. The fish steams gently in the heat of the grill, while staying incredibly tender and moist. It also picks up smoky flavors from the grill and woodsy flavors from the cedar. So to answer the question, cooking on a cedar plank does wonders for salmon!
How to make Cedar Plank Salmon?
- Soak Cedar Planks: This part is key, soak cedar planks in water for at least 30 minutes. This brings out the natural flavor from the cedar and helps prevent the planks from catching on fire.
- Make Sauce/Glaze: To a small bowl add minced garlic cloves, dijon mustard, raw honey, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, salt, pepper and melted better. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Preheat grill: Heat grill to medium high heat, about 375-400°F.
- Heat Planks: Place cedar planks on grill and grill for 4-5 minutes to preheat.
- Grill Salmon: Flip the planks and place salmon skin side down, with skin removed, on cedar plank. Season with honey garlic sauce. Top each salmon filet with two slices of lemon. Put cedar plank salmon over indirect heat side of grill and cover. Grill for 20-25 minutes, until salmon becomes flaky or until thickest part of salmon reaches 135°F. Remove from grill and serve.
Can you cook Cedar Plank Salmon in the oven?
Baking on a cedar plank imparts a subtle wood flavor to meat, fish, shellfish, poultry, and vegetables, adding warmth and complexity to any dish. 2. The baking planks are designed for baking in the oven and they last for years (even if they crack, you can place them on a baking sheet to catch any juices).
- Soak cedar plank for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place prepared cedar plank on a baking sheet then place salmon on cedar plank skin side down. (just with the skin removed)
- Rub honey garlic sauce into salmon, top with lemon slices.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes, until internal temperature comes to 135°F or salmon is flaky. Serve.
Tip and Tricks for Cedar Plank Salmon:
- Be sure to remove skin before placing salmon on cedar plank. This helps to ensure a thoroughly cooked salmon.
- SOAK cedar planks, fully submerged ,for at least 30 minutes but better if longer.
- Have a water spray bottle nearby just in case flare ups do occur.
- Cook salmon low and slow over indirect heat for optimal results.
- Make sure to have a meat thermometer to check the doneness of your salmon. Salmon should be at 135°F which is a medium rare for salmon before it is removed from the grill. (in my opinion the perfect flaky temperature!)
What to serve with Cedar Plank Salmon?
- Honey Soy Oven Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- Healthy Cranberry Apple Brussel Sprout Salad
- Garlic Parmesan Potato Wedges
- Grilled Corn Salad with Jalapeno Dressing
- Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus
- Classic Wedge Salad with Light Blue Dressing
- 3 Ingredient Honey Mustard Glazed Carrots
Learn how to make the perfect Honey Garlic Cedar Plank Salmon on the grill every time. Slather each piece of fresh salmon with a savory honey garlic butter then infuse with smoky cedar flavor for the ultimate summer dinner recipe!
- 1 lb. of salmon (or four 4oz filets), skin removed
- 2 cedar plank boards (7″x12″)
- 1 lemon, sliced
Honey Garlic Sauce:
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to season
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted
- Soak cedar plank in water for at least 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, to a small bowl add garlic cloves, dijon mustard, honey, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, salt, pepper and melted better. Stir to combine.
- Preheat grill half of the grill to medium high heat, about 375-400°F.
- Place salmon skin side down, with skin removed, on cedar plank. Season with honey garlic sauce. Top each salmon filet with two slices of lemon.
- Put cedar plank salmon over indirect heat side of grill and cover. Grill for 20-25 minutes, until salmon becomes flaky or until thickest part of salmon reaches 135°F.
- Remove from grill and serve.
- Serving Size: 1 salmon filet
- Calories: 280
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 198 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 32 g
- Cholesterol: 102 mg
Keywords: cedar plank salmon, cedar plank salmon recipe, honey garlic salmon, cedar plank salmon on the grill, grilled salmon, how to grill salmon