An easy grilled chicken recipe with a homemade spice rub! Ready in only 20 minutes, get ready to enjoy the BEST flavor-packed grilled chicken breast of your life!
My Go-To Grilled Chicken Recipe
There are many ways to cook chicken! And since chicken is the main meat we eat in our house (much to my husbands chagrin, he’s a beef man) I’ve cooked it just about every way I can think of.
Pan Seared. Baked. Pouched. Grilled. Rotisserie. Raw.
Just kidding not raw… just wanted to make sure you were paying attention. 🙂
I have to say my top two favorites are: Grilled Chicken and Pan Seared Chicken. Those two methods tend to be the best at giving the chicken an awesome flavor on the outside, searing in all the goodness, and the keeping the center moist instead of dry!
What’s your favorite way to cook chicken?
Seasoning any protein with just salt and pepper can be great if its done right, but sometimes I’m just looking for something a little more flavorful. Sure you could add BBQ Sauce and make it BBQ Chicken. But in todays recipe we are going straight up spice rub blend. YES!
How to Make a Homemade Spice Rub for Grilling Chicken
- Smoked Paprika – adds a nice smokiness to the chicken
- Cumin – gives an aromatic nutty flavor
- Coriander – really compliments the other spices and enhances the taste of the chicken
- Garlic Powder – gives the spice rub a hint of garlic
- Sea Salt – you gotta add salt, it’s the primary seasoning in almost every dish
- Black Pepper – for the slight hint of pepper
If you want more chicken spice rubs, definitely go check out my post that includes 5 different spice rubs. These rubs can be used for chicken or vegetables! You’re welcome. There’s a basic spice rub, smoky chipotle spice rub, mediterranean spice rub, lemon pepper spice rub and my favorite a buffalo spice rub!
How to Make Grilled Chicken Breast
Before you even touch the chicken you want to make sure that your chicken has rested at room temperature for at least 15 minutes to take the chill off. Next, to make sure your chicken cooks evenly – pound the chicken to an even thickness so that everything cooks the same.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat, approximately 375-400°F.
- In a small bowl mix: garlic powder, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, sea salt, pepper, and olive oil. Mix until combined.
- Rub mixture over both sides of the chicken.
- Place chicken on grill and grill each side for 4-7 minutes depending on thickness or until no longer pink.
- Let rest for 5 minutes to let juices reallocate and slice to serve.
How Long to Grill Chicken
In my opinion, the key to a perfectly grilled chicken recipe is not touching the chicken when it’s on the grill. Once your chicken hits the grill grates let the grill do all the work. Set your timer for 4-7 minutes, depending on the thickness of your chicken and flip. If the chicken sticks to the grill it’s not done yet. Trust me, your protein will release when it’s finished. Chicken is considered “done” when the internal temperature reaches 165° F. Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature. Do NOT cut into the chicken to see if it’s pink this will release all the juices and make your chicken dry.
The best part about todays recipe is it’s done in under 20 minutes, it’s gluten free, and paleo! (And if you want to add a few more in there it’s keto and low carb.. just saying.) Hand down the perfect meal for a weeknight – super light, full of flavor and healthy!
Hope you enjoy! Well, actually I know you will! So I hope you will actually make it!
Bon Appetit Friends!
Recommended Tools for this Recipe:
What to Serve with Grilled Chicken
- Quinoa Tabbouleh Salad
- 10 Minute Asian Cucumber Salad
- Grilled Asparagus with Lemon Zest
- Crunchy Thai Quinoa Salad
- Thai Mango Avocado Salad
*** This post does contain affiliate links. Thank you for supporting Joyful Healthy Eats.**Print
Easy & delicious Grilled Chicken Recipe that only takes 20 minutes! Full of flavor from an epic spice rub, it’s the BEST grilled chicken you’ll ever make.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon of olive oil
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- In a small bowl, mix garlic powder, cumin, coriander, smoked paprika, sea salt, pepper, and olive oil. Mix until combined.
- Rub mixture over both sides of the chicken.
- Place chicken on grill and grill each side for 4-6 minutes depending on thickness. You just want to make sure there is no pink in the middle.
- Serving Size: 1 chicken breast (6oz.)
- Calories: 246
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 409 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 39 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: grilled chicken, grilled chicken recipe, easy grilled chicken, grilled chicken breasts, best grilled chicken recipe, easy chicken breasts recipe, chicken dinner idea, homemade spice rub, grilled chicken seasoning
DON’T MISS A RECIPE ->