Seasoned with a homemade chipotle spice rub, these Smoky Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast are easier to make than you may think. All you need is chicken, bacon, and a few spices. Wrap the chicken, pop it in the oven, and a dig into a mouthwatering dinner in less than an hour!
Easy Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast
These bacon wrapped chicken breasts are the perfect thing when you need a meal with a nice presentation and not a lot of work. If we have guests coming over and I don’t have a ton of time to prepare, this recipe is one of my go-to’s.
The thing that makes this chicken breast recipe stand out is the smoky chipotle spice rub. I used a handful of spices in the cupboard, from cumin and chili powder to smoked paprika to create a rub that has just the right amount of heat to it. It’s warm and flavorful but not spicy, so it’s approved by the kids and the adults alike.
Besides the spice rub, all you need is some chicken breasts and bacon! That’s it!
What You’ll Need
This easy chicken recipe is made with just two ingredients and a homemade spice rub.
- Chicken breasts – Choose boneless, skinless chicken breasts that are equal in size.
- Bacon – Use regular bacon, not thick cut.
- Spice rub – The homemade smoky chipotle spice rub is made with cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, chipotle chili powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
Can I Use Other Cuts of Chicken?
Yes, you can use pretty much any cut of chicken, such as thighs and drumsticks. I personally prefer to use boneless, skinless cuts of meat as they’re easy to slice before serving. You may need to adjust the cooking time as well.
Can I Use A Different Spice Rub?
Sure. You can use any spice rub you want on these bacon-wrapped chicken breasts. I love the warm, smoky chipotle flavor against the bacon but you can do a brown sugar spice rub, Italian seasoning mix, or even a Ranch seasoning mix. Anything you like that would pair well with bacon!
How to Make Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast
While bacon wrapped chicken may look fancy, it’s actually quite easy to assemble.
- Make the spice rub. Combine all of the spices together in a small bowl.
- Season the chicken. Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Season each side with the spice blend.
- Wrap the chicken in bacon. Start at one end, wrap the bacon around the chicken until covered. I used 2 strips but you may need 3 if your chicken breasts are bigger.
- Bake. Bake at 400F for 25 to 30 minutes, then increase the temperature to 450F and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes.
Can I Grill This Instead?
If you’d prefer to make grilled bacon-wrapped chicken instead of baked, you absolutely can. Follow the directions as normal but cook the chicken on a preheated outdoor grill. It should take about 20 to 25 minutes for them to cook fully, depending on the thickness. Flip halfway through.
Tips for Success
Here are a few tips to ensure juicy, flavorful chicken breasts every time.
- How to tell when the chicken is done. Baked chicken is ready when the internal temperature reaches 165F.
- Use equal-sized pieces of chicken. Whether you stick with chicken breasts or try this recipe with another cut of chicken, all pieces should be roughly the same size to ensure they cook evenly.
- Don’t use thick-cut bacon. Thick-cut bacon, while delicious, will take too long to cook for this recipe and won’t get the crispy outer texture that you want.
- Don’t overcook the chicken. Once the chicken reaches 165F degrees, remove it from the oven so that it doesn’t continue to cook. Otherwise, it may dry out.
- Let it rest before slicing. Allow the chicken breasts to rest for 5 to 10 minutes after removing them from the oven, before slicing and serving.
This baked chicken recipe makes a great main course when paired with any number of side dishes. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Southwest Quinoa Salad
- Potato Salad with Herb Dressing
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Crispy Herb Garlic Potatoes
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
How to Store & Reheat Leftovers
Leftover chicken wrapped with bacon can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can reheat in the microwave or in the oven, just take care to not dry them out. You can also add slices to wraps, salads, and sandwiches to avoid heating them up and enjoy a light lunch.
More Chicken Recipes:
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Paleo Mustard Glazed Chicken
- The Best Air Fryer Buffalo Wings
- Shredded Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
Seasoned with a homemade chipotle spice rub, these Smoky Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breast are easier to make than you may think. All you need is chicken, bacon, and a few spices. Wrap the chicken, pop it in the oven, and a mouth-watering dinner will await in under an hour.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 8–12 strips of bacon (not thick cut)
Smoky Chipotle Spice Rub
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with tin foil and then place a baking rack on top. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, add cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, chipotle chili powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Stir together.
- Pat the chicken breast dry with a paper towel. Season each chicken breast with about 1 teaspoon of the spice blend, making sure to get both sides.
- Carefully wrap each chicken breast with bacon strips. Starting at one end, wrapping around and repeating until the chicken breast is covered. (I used around 2 strips per chicken breast, but depending on the size you could use 3.)
- Place prepared chicken breast on baking sheet.
- Bake at 400°F for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Turn oven up to 450°F and place chicken back in the oven for 5-10 minutes, until bacon is crispy and internal temperature of the chicken is at 165°F.
- Remove from oven and allow chicken to rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Serving Size: 1 chicken breast
- Calories: 286
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 820 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 4 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 42 g
- Cholesterol: 111 mg
Keywords: baked chicken breasts, easy chicken breast recipes, chicken wrapped with bacon