Tender oven-roasted chicken thighs are seasoned to perfection with mustard, sage, balsamic vinegar and more in this easy Paleo dinner recipe. It’s a Mustard Glazed Chicken like you’ve never tasted before!
Juicy Mustard Glazed Chicken Thighs
The combination of herbs and spices flavoring these tender baked chicken thighs will make you melt. With the help of the gluten-free mustard and balsamic vinegar, your meat absorbs a medley of tangy, savory and herby goodness while getting super juicy in the process. And you don’t even need to marinate it!
This kid-friendly dinner is my saving grace on those hectic weeknights where I’ve fallen behind with my meal prep. The chicken is ready for roasting in just 5 minutes, and I’m never left with a mountain of dirty dishes in the sink. Plus, as soon as the smell of the chicken starts wafting out of the oven, it’s practically a race to set the table. Everyone wants their fair share!
What You’ll Need
Another great thing about this recipe is the simplicity of its ingredient lineup. Minimum effort, maximum flavor!
- Coconut Oil: Or butter, melted.
- Stone Ground Mustard: Use gluten-free mustard if needed.
- Balsamic Vinegar: For some serious sweet and sour goodness.
- Dried Thyme: Don’t use fresh thyme – it doesn’t have as strong of a flavor.
- Dried Sage: This earthy and peppery herb is always a great seasoning for chicken.
- Salt & Pepper: Added to taste.
- Chicken Thighs: Bone-in and skin-on.
How to Make Paleo Mustard Glazed Chicken
Making this chicken is as easy as mixing, brushing and baking. That’s all you have to do!
Heat Oven: Preheat the oven to 425°F.
Make Seasoning Mixture: In a small mixing bowl, combine the melted coconut oil, mustard, balsamic vinegar, black pepper, salt, thyme and sage.
Season Chicken: Place your chicken thighs on an oven-safe dish and brush the mustard mixture evenly over each one.
Bake: Bake for 45 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
Enjoy! Remove your chicken from the oven and let it sit on the baking dish for a few minutes before serving it.
Tips for Success
Baked chicken is a weeknight classic thanks to its ease and popularity. These tips and tricks will help you make the best chicken dinner yet!
- Use Bone-in, Skin-on Chicken Thighs: You won’t get as much great flavor with boneless chicken thighs, and you can’t achieve that nice and crispy exterior without the skin. If you must use boneless thighs, reduce the bake time by 10-15 minutes.
- Make Your Own Mustard: Sure, you could use bottled mustard if you’re really in a pinch. But grinding the mustard seeds yourself is more than worth it when it comes to the flavor of your chicken. If you don’t have a mortar and pestle, you can do it with a coffee grinder. Once it’s ground up, slowly add in water and mix until it’s slightly thicker than you’d like the mustard to be. Finally, stir in white vinegar until it reaches your desired consistency. Add salt and additional seasonings if desired.
- How Do I Know When My Chicken is Done? I always recommend using a meat thermometer to check the doneness of your chicken. Once the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F, it’s ready to be removed from the oven.
A main course as tasty as this one deserves some equally yummy sides to go with it. You’ll love the following ideas!
- Pair with Roasted Potatoes: The flavors of these Garlic Herb Roasted Potatoes go wonderfully with this tangy baked chicken. And they share the same tender texture with crispy outsides!
- Serve with Cilantro Lime Rice: You can never go wrong with rice and chicken. Serving this Cilantro Lime Rice alongside your mustard glazed chicken is a guaranteed home run! You can make it Paleo by using cauliflower rice and avocado oil.
- Pair with Veggies: A simple veggie side dish like my Grilled Asparagus with Lemon or Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Balsamic will round out your dinner in a healthy and delicious way.
- Serve with Soup: This Instant Pot Squash Soup is so cozy and comforting for fall and winter. It’s super creamy and flavorful with an array of warm spices and crispy bacon on top.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Leftover chicken thighs should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They will last for up to 4 days. To reheat your chicken, first let it come to room temperature and preheat the oven to 400°F.
Once the chicken reaches room temperature, bake it for about 15 minutes, or until its internal temperature reaches 165°F. You can also reheat it in the microwave if preferred.
Can I Freeze Baked Chicken Thighs?
Yes, once your chicken thighs have cooled completely, you can freeze the leftovers in a freezer-safe container. You could also wrap each thigh in plastic wrap and store them in a sealed freezer bag with all the air squeezed out. Thaw out frozen chicken thighs in the fridge and bring them to room temperature before reheating.Print
Tender oven-roasted chicken thighs are seasoned to perfection with mustard, sage, balsamic vinegar and more in this easy Paleo dinner recipe. It’s Mustard Glazed Chicken like you’ve never tasted before!
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or butter, melted
- 3 T. of stone ground mustard (gluten free)
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1/2 tsp. dried sage
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- black pepper
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In small mixing bowl, combine melted coconut oil, mustard, balsamic vinegar, black pepper, salt, thyme and sage.
- Place chicken thighs on a oven-safe dish, and brush the mustard mixture evenly over each one.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until temperature of chicken is 165°F. (insert thermometer into center of chicken thigh)
- Serving Size: 1 chicken thigh
- Calories: 202
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 352 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 14 g
- Cholesterol: 51 mg
Keywords: mustard chicken, baked chicken thighs, paleo meal
More Paleo Chicken Recipes
Want more diet-friendly chicken dinner ideas? Check out the easy dishes below!
- Pecan Crusted Chicken
- Balsamic Grilled Chicken Kabobs
- Avocado Chicken Salad
- Whole 30 Creamy Garlic Chicken Recipe
- Thai Chicken Zucchini Noodles with Spicy Peanut Sauce