With fewer carbs and lower calories than mashed potatoes, this creamy 3-ingredient Mashed Cauliflower is the keto side dish of your dreams! It’s super easy to make with only butter and fresh garlic.
We love to serve this dish with my Crispy Balsamic Roasted Brussel Sprouts and my Perfect Whole Roasted Chicken.
Quick & Easy Keto Cauliflower Mash
If you’ve ever been following a keto diet plan during the holidays, you’ve probably been tormented by the steaming bowl of mashed potatoes on the table. Well, not this year! This simple recipe for mashed cauliflower gives you everything you love about mashed potatoes – without all of the carbs and calories.
Not only will this dish keep your keto friends and family members from feeling left out, but it will also satisfy everyone else at the table. No one has to sacrifice the smooth and creamy texture or the garlicky, buttery goodness they know and love. Plus, you can dress up your puree with cheese, bacon and other add-ins to make it even more special!
What You’ll Need
I love any recipe that uses fewer than 5 ingredients. It just doesn’t get any easier!
- Cauliflower: Cut into florets.
- Fresh Garlic: You’ll need 3 peeled cloves.
- Butter: Unsalted.
- Salt & Pepper: Optional, to season the mash.
Shop This Recipe
How to Make Mashed Cauliflower
If you have prepared any kind of mash or puree in the past, you already know the drill. You basically just steam the cauliflower, drain it and mash it up.
Combine Garlic & Cauliflower: Place the cauliflower florets and whole garlic cloves into a medium-sized saucepan. Add about 1 inch of water until the florets are halfway covered. Season with salt and cover the saucepan.
Steam: Heat the stovetop to medium-high heat and steam the cauliflower for 10-15 minutes, or until it’s fork-tender.
Drain & Let Rest: Drain the liquid and let the cauliflower rest in the colander for 5 minutes.
Melt Butter: Add the butter to the same pan you just cooked the cauliflower in. Melt it over medium-low heat.
Mash Cauliflower: Add the steamed cauliflower to a blender or food processor. Pulse until it’s smooth or at your desired consistency.
Combine with Butter: Pour the puree into the pan with the melted butter. Stir to incorporate the butter and season with salt and pepper, if desired.
Tips for Success
There are a couple of important things to note about making mashed cauliflower. Don’t forget to read through these tips and tricks.
- Cook the Cauliflower Covered: In order for your cauliflower to properly steam, the saucepan must be covered while it’s cooking. Otherwise, the steam will just escape from the pan.
- Don’t Forget to Let it Rest: After the cauliflower drains, it needs to rest in the colander for 5 minutes or so. This allows it to release excess moisture, preventing a watery mash.
- Work in Batches if Needed If you don’t have a large food processor or blender, you’re going to need to mash up the cauliflower in batches. You should never overload your machine.
- Don’t Have a Blender? If you don’t have a blender or food processor at all, you can use a potato masher to make the puree.
There are so many yummy things you can load into this mashed cauliflower! Here are some add-ins and toppings that won’t disappoint.
- Crumbled Bacon
- Chopped Parsley
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Lemon Zest
Need a main dish to pair with this creamy cauliflower mash? Or perhaps another side? Check out the delicious ideas below.
- Serve with Chili: I can’t imagine a meal more comforting than a bowl of chili with a side of mashed cauliflower. This Hearty Beef Chili recipe will seriously change your life!
- Pair with Baked Salmon: Have you ever had Baked Salmon with Avocado Salsa? If not, this is your sign. Seasoned with a super flavorful spice rub, this healthy entree is definitely worthy of a place on the table next to your pureed cauliflower.
- Serve with Deviled Eggs: If you need another side dish for your holiday celebration, I highly recommend preparing these Deviled Eggs with Bacon. They’re easy to make in just 30 minutes!
How to Store and Reheat Pureed Cauliflower
Mashed cauliflower stays fresh in the fridge for up to 5 days. Once it has cooled completely, transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate it. Reheat individual servings in the microwave.
Can I Freeze This?
Yes, you can freeze your cauliflower mash for up to 3 months if you’d like. Just make sure the container you store it in is freezer-safe. I suggest keeping it in a freezer bag with all the air removed. Thaw it out in the fridge before reheating it.Print
3 Ingredient Mashed Cauliflower
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Stove
- Cuisine: American
With fewer carbs and a lower calorie content than mashed potatoes, this creamy 3-ingredient Mashed Cauliflower is the keto side dish of your dreams! It’s super easy to make with only butter and fresh garlic.
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- salt & pepper to season
- Cut cauliflower into florets. Place florets and whole garlic cloves in a medium saucepan and add about 1″ of water until the florets are halfway covered. Season with salt. Cover.
- Heat to medium-high heat and steam cauliflower for 10-15 minutes, or until fork-tender.
- Drain liquid and let cauliflower rest in a colander for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, use the same pan you just cooked cauliflower in and add butter. Melt over medium-low heat.
- Next, add cauliflower to a blender or food processor. Pulse until smooth or at your desired consistency. Then pour back into the pan with butter. Stir to incorporate the butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
- To Store: Store cooled puree in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- To Reheat: Warm individual servings in the microwave.
- To Freeze: Freeze in a freezer bag with all the air removed for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge before reheating.
Keywords: cauliflower mash, pureed cauliflower, cauliflower mash keto
More Keto Side Dish Recipes
I have so many healthy keto side dishes to share with you. Try out these recipes next!