The most bomb Whole30 Beef Chili Recipe you’ll ever have – done in 30 minutes. Each bite is filled with tender beef, vegetables, comforting spices and fire roasted tomatoes – perfect to warm you up in those cold months.
Best Whole30 Beef Chili Recipe
I grew up with chili that was loaded with vegetables, meat and beans and then served over noodles. My mom told me that she grew up with chili over noodles because it helped the meal “go longer.” When I moved down south I learned about the “frito pie” – which is beef chili over fritos corn chips, topped with cheese and all the fixins. Sometimes it’s even served in a fritos chip bag.
Well, today we are taking everything out by the meat and vegetables. We’re going Whole30 on our chili and you’re going to love it! Trust me. I had no complains over here, all my people just gobbled this chili right up!
What you’ll need for this Whole30 Beef Chili
Don’t worry. This recipe is basically a classic chili recipe with a few modifications. So you’ll see a lot of the same stars and then a couple new ones that I guarantee you’ll love. Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- Avocado Oil – for sauting your vegetables and meat
- Onion – You can’t have chili without onion, I like to use yellow onion in this for a milder flavor.
- Garlic – The more garlic the better is my motto. You’ll need minced garlic for this chili.
- Ground Beef – Buy grass fed beef, trust me it has way better flavor.
- Vegetables – There’s alot but they shrink down during the cooking process. I use red pepper, yellow pepper, poblano, carrots and celery – all these vegetables will help fill you up and add flavor to the chili.
- Tomatoes – I use a combo of tomato paste for depth of flavor, diced fire roasted tomatoes and crush tomatoes.
- Beef Bone Broth – This adds nutrients, depth of flavor and really pushes the beef comfort flavor forward. If you don’t have bone broth you can use beef stock.
- Spices – All the classics and two new ones you’ll like – I use cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, coriander and of course salt.
SHOP THIS RECIPE
How to make Whole30 Chili
The key to making a good chili is the best ingredients and some tender loving care. I love the process of making chili, I hover over the stove and smell the goodness all the way through to make sure it is perfection. The good news is, this whole30 chili only takes 30 minutes to make from start to finish. Here’s how to make it:
Saute Onions: Heat a large dutch oven to medium high heat. Add in avocado oil and onions. Saute until onions are translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
Add Garlic: Next add in garlic, saute for 30 seconds, stirring the whole time.
Brown the Meat: Add in the ground beef. Cook until beef is no longer pink and slightly browned, about 5-7 minutes. Smashing and stirring the whole time so the meat is broken up. I like to really break my beef up so that I get a little bit in each bite. No big chunks.
Spice Things Up: Next add in the spices – ground cumin, chili powder, coriander, smoked paprika and sea salt. Stir the spices in to the meat until everything is combined.
Saute the Vegetables: Now that the spices are added. Mix in your red pepper, yellow pepper, poblano, carrots and celery. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring throughout.
Add the Liquid: Next add in the tomato paste, diced fire roasted tomatoes, crushed tomatoes and beef broth. Stir everything together and cover.
Simmer: Keep the heat at medium high. Let the chili cook for 15 minutes. Serve
Chili Topping Ideas
Up your chili game this year with some fun ideas to top your chili with, or even create a “chili bar” out of! Most of these are whole30 compliant, however a few of them are not.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream or Plain Greek Yogurt
- Chopped Cilantro
- Diced Green Onion or Diced Red Onion
- Jalapeños (raw or pickled)
- Pickled Red Onion
- Fritos Chips or Tortilla Chips
Tips for the Best Chili
- To thicken your chili: If you want your chili to be a little thicker, the best way to do this is to just let it simmer on the stove a bit longer until you have achieved your desired thickness. You could also add in more chili powder, which is a natural thickener.
- Meat substitutions: You can also use ground turkey or ground chicken in this recipe, though of course it won’t be a beef chili anymore! Another idea is to add a second kind of meat in addition to the ground beef.
- Browning: I know this recipe is a 30 minute recipe, but if you have a little bit more time I highly recommend allowing the onions and ground beef to brown a little longer. Brown = Flavor. Trust me.
Chili Storage and Freezing Tips
Store leftovers in an air tight container for up to 5 days. To freeze, place cooled chili in a freezer safe storage bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating. To reheat, simply place chili in a dutch over and slowly warm over store. (or warm up in the microwave)
Other Chili Recipes you’ll Love:
- Healthy Crock Pot White Chicken Chili
- The Best Instant Pot Chili Recipe
- Smoky Lentil Chili Recipe
- Instant Pot Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- The Best Crock Pot Chili Recipe
The most bomb Whole30 Beef Chili Recipe ever – done in 30 minutes. Each bite is filled with tender beef, vegetables, comforting spices and fire roasted tomatoes – perfect to warm you up in those cold months.
- 2 tablespoons of avocado oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lb. grass fed ground beef
- 1 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 28 oz. can diced fire roasted tomato
- 14 oz. crushed fire roasted tomato
- 1 cup beef bone broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon of salt (or more for taste)
- Heat a large dutch oven to medium high heat.
- Add in avocado oil and onions. Saute until onions are translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Next add in garlic, saute for 30 seconds. Stirring the whole time.
- Immediately add in the ground beef. Cook until beef is no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes. Smashing and stirring the whole time so the meat is broken up.
- Next add in the spices, ground cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, coriander and sea salt. Stir the spices in to the meat until everything is combined.
- Add in the red pepper, yellow pepper, poblano, celery and carrots, cook for 2 minutes.
- Next add in the tomato paste, diced fire roasted tomatoes, crushed tomato and beef broth Stir everything together and cover.
- Keep the heat at medium high. Let the chili cook for 15 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 293
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 774 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 18 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 28 g
- Cholesterol: 70 mg
Keywords: whole30 chili, beef chili recipe, beef chili, whole30 chili recipe