Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili made in the Instant Pot, this vegetarian chili will be a favorite!
Instant Pot Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili a quick gluten free dinner filled with corn, beans, sweet potatoes and deep chili flavor with a surprise ingredient! A healthy vegetarian chili that’s sure to be a favorite!
This past week was just what I needed. I needed to be surrounded by people that understood me. That got the ‘struggle bus’ that is blogging. As a blogger you are not just a content creator. You’re an author, editor, copywriter, photographer, marketer, public relations person, administrator, and accountant. I’m sure there’s more in there but that’s what I can think of off the top of my head.
It’s a lot!
Don’t get me wrong. I love every part of it… well most of it. Sometimes I loathe all things facebook, but I think that’s everyone. Facebook use to be fun and I loved interacting on it, now … well… yeah it’s just not fun. (thanks Zuckerberg)
I think the biggest “take away” I got from this weekend is work smarter, not harder. And for the longest time I’ve been working harder.
Do you realize I have over 900 recipes on my site?
I know kinda crazy right? How many of those have you seen? Maybe half? Yeah, I know that’s the part that’s even more crazy. I realized this weekend that I write post after post but some of those recipes you’ve never seen. So how do I work smarter not harder? Well I’m gonna start going to be to some of those old recipes and update… bring them back to the front so you can see all those amazing recipes. Here are just a few that you may have never seen … my Cranberry Orange Muffins, Butternut Squash Alfredo Pasta with Bacon, my Pumpkin Bundt Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, my Pumpkin Spice Energy Balls or my Pan Seared Salmon with Sage Brown Butter.
Speaking of working smarter, not harder. Let’s talk Healthy Instant Pot Recipes, shall we?
Guys, I’m totally on the Instant Pot band wagon now. It’s been a game changer. I love that you can sauté and pressure cook all in one pan. There are settings galore to really customize what you want to make. Rice. Soup. Broth. Saute. Egg. Porridge, Pressure Cook. The options are endless.
So, what instant setting do you use for chili?
Well, on my Instant Pot (which is the Ultra 10 in 1) I have a Chili Setting. However, I know most of you may not have that option. So for this recipe I used the Soup/Broth Setting. What you want the Instant Pot to do is meld all those awesome flavors together without turning it into mush. Which is exactly what the Soup/Broth setting will do!
How long do you Instant Pot chili?
Well it depends on when you want to eat it. With this Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili I didn’t have to brown or braise the beef. I sautéed the vegetables then flipped it over to the Soup/Broth setting. Once on that setting, seal the lid and cook for 10 minutes. It came out perfect for me. If you have beef or chicken you may want to do it a little longer, maybe 15 minutes.
This Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili is legit for a vegetarian chili. It has crazy depth of flavor. It’s sweet, spicy, savory all in one AND it’s thick not broth-y. Which in my opinion is the key to a good chili!
How do you thicken a Vegetarian Chili?
Chili Powders! Chili powders are made of a combination of spices like cumin, garlic powder and ground chili peppers. The peppers are the key, they act as a natural thickening agent. In this Vegetarian Chili I use both chili powder and chipotle peppers the combination of those two peppers thickens this soup right up!
I’ll definitely be making this Instant Pot Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili again.
It’s easy. Minimalistic. Crazy flavorful, you’ll taste all the taste tantalizing spices I used in this recipe, including the cinnamon, after your first bite! Meat? Who needs meat! The beans and sweet potatoes give this chili a hearty bite.
Bon Appetit friends! Now, go get your chili on!
* This post does contain affiliate links, I use these links because I value the products and believe in them 100% and would like to share that with you! Thank you for supporting Joyful Healthy Eats. **Print
Instant Pot Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili a quick gluten free dinner filled with corn, beans, sweet potatoes and deep chili flavor with a surprise ingredient! This healthy vegetarian chili is sure to be a favorite!
- 1 tablespoon grape seed oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, sliced into coins
- 4 cups diced sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoon cumin
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- salt to taste
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 28 oz. fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 14 oz. low sodium black beans, drained & rinsed
- 14 oz. low sodium kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- juice of 1 lime
optional garnish: greek yogurt, cilantro, diced red onion, sliced jalapeno, avocado, or cheddar cheese
- Turn your Instant Pot onto the Sauté setting and let it heat up.
- Add Grape Seed Oil to the Instant Pot.
- Next, add diced onions, red peppers and garlic to the Instant Pot. Saute until translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Then add in carrots, sweet potato, cumin, chili powder, smoked paprika, chipotle peppers, cinnamon, black pepper and salt. Saute for 3-4 minutes while stirring to mix everything together.
- Next pour in vegetable stock and fire roasted tomatoes. Using a spoon stir everything.
- Place the cover on the Instant Pot. Seal the lid.
- Cancel the Saute setting. Switch the Instant Pot over to the Soup/Broth setting and set timer for 10 minutes.
- When it’s finished, use the the Quick Pressure Release method. Remove the lid once the pressure is completely released.
- Cancel the Soup setting. Switch the Instant Pot over to the Saute setting.
- Add in the black beans, kidney beans, frozen corn, fresh cilantro and lime juice. Let the soup saute for 5 minutes.
- Optional: top with greek yogurt, diced red onion, fresh cilantro and sliced jalapeño.
Keywords: instant pot, vegetarian, gluten free, soup, kid friendly, black bean chili, sweet potato chili, instant pot chili, healthy instant pot recipes, vegetarian chili recipes
Want More Chili Recipes?