Air Fryer Beer Battered Fish Tacos are the best way to make crispy fish tacos at home! Flaky cod is dredged in a light batter then air fried until perfectly golden brown and topped with a Creamy Slaw and Chipotle Crema.
We love to serve this alongside my Mango Shrimp Ceviche with Avocado, Fresh Pico de Gallo and of course my Spicy Margarita!
The Best Beer Battered Air Fryer Fish Tacos
Beer Battered Fish Tacos are one of my absolute favorite kinds of tacos. Any kind of beer battered fish holds a special place in my heart with their golden brown coating and tender and flaky fish center. I love them even more now that I can fry fish in the air fryer. I can cook them at home and feel good about frying them the healthy way.
These simple air fryer tacos only take a few minutes to put together. You need a liquid batter and a dry mixture to coat the fish. The beer batter is so easy to make (just two ingredients!) and it’s perfectly light and crunchy. The trick is not to make a sticky and soupy beer batter like what you would see at a restaurant.
The dry mixture is simply flour and corn starch and a few special seasonings that make it extra flavorful. After dipping the fish in the dry mix, you put it into a beer and egg mixture, and back into the dry. Then they get a good spray of cooking oil and they’re good to go in the air fryer. The result is perfectly fried fish that is perfect for tacos.
Why You’ll Love This Air Fryer Fish Taco Recipe
Here is why you’re going to love making these air fryer tacos. I promise you’ll want to make this recipe every time taco night rolls around!
- It’s a healthier fish taco recipe. I love a good fried fish taco, but they aren’t exactly the healthiest option because they are deep fried. This is a guilt-free way to enjoy as many fish tacos as you’d like!
- Learn how to make your own beer batter. This beer batter method is so much easier than most beer batters. I simply combine beer and egg and then use a dry mixture for dredging. Once you master this technique, you can use it for other things, too like shrimp and chicken.
- Restuarant-quality tacos made at home. Honestly, anytime I make these at home I feel like I’m at a restaurant on the beach somewhere! The battered fish tastes perfect with the easy-to-make Creamy Coleslaw [LINK] and Chipotle Crema. They are simple sides with tons of high-quality flavor!
The list of ingredients that you need for this air fryer taco recipe is below. Don’t forget to check out the recipe card for the exact amounts of each ingredient.
- Sour Cream: You can also use plain Greek yogurt.
- Chipotles in Adobo Sauce: You’ll use the sauce from the can of chipotles.
- Lime Juice: Freshly squeezed lime juice is always best and you can use more or less depending on how tangy you want the sauce.
- Smoked Paprika: This adds another layer of smokey flavor to the sauce (in addition to the chipotles). You can also use regular paprika, but it won’t be as smokey.
Beer Battered Fish:
- Fresh Cod: I like to get fresh fish from the fish counter for this recipe. But you can also use frozen cod, just be sure to thaw it before you start the recipe.
- All Purpose Flour and Cornstarch: This is the base for the dry mixture that helps get a crispy coating on the fish.
- Garlic Powder: You can also use granulated garlic.
- Smoked Paprika: Again, this adds more smokiness to the recipe, but you can also use regular paprika if that’s all that you have.
- Onion Powder: Onion salt is also ok, just omit the regular salt.
- Salt and Pepper
- Beer: I used Modela for this recipe.
- Egg: You’ll mix the egg with the beer so that it sticks to the fish.
- Corn Tortillas: Or flour tortillas, based on your preference.
What Kind of Beer is Used for Beer Batter?
The best kind of beer to use when making beer batter is a light beer. I like to use Modela or Corona for Mexican recipes. But other light beers will also work. Just try to avoid dark beers and lagers. They are too rich for a light and crispy beer batter coating.
The best tacos are the ones with the perfect toppings that complement the main ingredient. Here are some of my favorite suggestions in addition to the ones listed in the recipe.
- Japaleno Slices
- Crumbed Queso Fresco
- Boom Boom Sauce
- Avocado Salsa Verde
- 5 Minute Salsa
- Diced Mangos
- Chopped Onions
- Pickled Onions
How to Make Air Fryer Beer Battered Fish Tacos
The steps for making Beer Battered Tacos in the air fryer are below.
First, make the Chipotle Crema. It’s so simple! Just combine the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
Next, prepare the batter station. Set up two bowls – one with the dry ingredients (flour, corn starch, and seasonings) and the other with the egg and beer mixture.
Now it’s time to coat the fish strips. First, place the fish in the dry mixture, then the beer mixture, and then back into the dry mixture (this is the trick for when you’re making beer battered fish in the air fryer!). You want the last layer to be dry so that it doesn’t create a huge mess in the air fryer and so it gets crispy!
Lastly, air fry the fish pieces. Make sure that you spray the basket and the fish with cooking spray before putting them in the air fryer. The fish is done when it’s golden brown and then you can add it to the tortillas and top it with your favorite toppings.
Follow these helpful tips when making these fish tacos in the air fryer and they’ll come out perfectly every time!
- Always make sure the fish is very dry before putting it in the batter. Moisture and frying (in the air fryer or not) just don’t mix. You won’t get crispy golden brown results if your protein isn’t patted dry before dipping into the flour mixture and batter.
- Use a wet hand and a dry hand. This prevents your hands from getting sticky and messy! So it’s best to have one hand do all of the dipping in the dry mixture and the other only work with the wet mixture. It’s a tip from a professional chef that I’ll never forget!
- Don’t forget the cooking spray! It’s important to spray the fish and the tray with cooking spray so that the fish doesn’t stick.
- Be ready to eat as soon as the fish comes out of the air fryer. The fish is the most delicious when it’s fresh out of the fryer because this is when it’s the crispiest!
What to Serve with Beer Battered Fish Tacos
This fish taco recipe is perfect for taco night! And here are some other recipes and dishes that you can serve alongside these delicious tacos.
- Other Taco Ideas: Check my list of other incredible Fish Taco Recipes for inspiration on what other type of taco you can serve on taco night. Or you can keep it simple and offer just another protein-filled option like my Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa.
- Side Salads: My favorite salads to serve with tacos are Mexican Street Corn Salad and Quinoa Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing.
- Beans on the Side: You can’t go wrong with a simple side of my Easy Mexican Instant Pot Black Beans!
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
These Air Fryer Fish Tacos are best served fresh and I don’t recommend keeping leftovers. This is because the beer batter coating will get soggy and unappetizing if you put it in the refrigerator for storage.Print
Air Fryer Beer Battered Fish Tacos
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 24 minutes
- Total Time: 39 minutes
- Yield: 8–10 1x
- Category: Seafood
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: Mexican
These Beer Battered Air Fryer Fish Tacos have the most delicious seasoned batter and fry perfectly every time. Add them to your favorite tortilla and top with Creamy Coleslaw and Chipotle Crema for the perfect fish taco!
- 1/3 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon of chipotles in adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
Beer Battered Fish:
- 1 lb. fresh cod, cut into 2” strips
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup Modello beer (or any beer)
- Corn Tortillas
- Creamy Coleslaw for Fish Tacos
- Toppings: jalapeno, fresh cilantro, crumbled queso fresco
- To a small bowl, add sour cream, chipotles in adobo sauce, lime juice and smoked paprika. Mix together until combined and smooth!
Beer Battered Fish:
- Place a wire rack over a baking sheet. Set aside.
- Cut cod into 1″ wide strips that are between 2-3″ long. Pat cod dry with a paper towel and place on the prepared wire rack.
- To a medium bowl, add flour, cornstarch, garlic powder, smoked paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper – whisk together until everything is combined.
- To another medium bowl add egg and beer and whisk until combined.
- First, completely coat the fish in the flour mixture. Shake off any additional flour and then place on the wire rack. Repeat until all cod strips are coated. Next, dip the cod in the beer mixture and completely coat. Then return the cod back to the flour mixture and coat well. Shake off any excess flour and place cod back on the wire racket.
- Heat air fryer to 375°F for 1-2 minutes. Spray the air fryer basket with cooking spray and place 6-7 pieces of cod in the basket in a single layer. Generously spray the beer-battered cod on top and cook for 12-14 minutes, turning halfway through. Once cod is done, remove from the air fryer and immediately season with salt. Repeat the process until all fish is cooked.
- Prep Tortillas: Heat a skillet to medium-high heat. Spray pan with cooking spray and add tortilla into the pan. Warm for 1-2 minutes per side. Set aside.
- Make creamy coleslaw for fish tacos, set aside.
- Assemble Tacos: To one tortilla add 1/4 coleslaw, 2 stips of beer battered fish and 1 tablespoon of chipotle crema. Optional: garnish with cilantro, queso fresco, or jalapeno.
- Serving Size: 2 tacos
- Calories: 280
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 418 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 39 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 13 g
- Cholesterol: 116 mg
Keywords: beer battered fish, beer batter recipe, fish in air fryer, air fryer tacos
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Wonton Chips
- Honey Garlic Air Fryer Salmon
- Air Fryer Avocado Fries with Dipping Sauce
- Shrimp in the Air Fryer
- Juicy Air Fryer Burgers