Kick up your cocktail game with this refreshing Spicy Margarita Recipe! Homemade jalapeño infused tequila mixed with fresh lime, orange juice and agave for the ultimate sip. These Spicy Margaritas are gonna to give you a fiesta!
Spicy Margarita Recipe – Why they’re amazing!
Can we just talk margaritas for a second. Truth be told. I use to not be a fan. It was mostly because I would always get a headache after I had one. Who wants that? So I boycotted margaritas for a while. Until we went to this one restaurant in Dallas, La Hacienda Ranch and it changed my margarita world forever! They were the smoothest, not overly sweet, tastiest margaritas I’ve ever had AND no headache.
I was hooked. Lucky for you I have the exact same recipe this restaurant uses in my How to make the Best Margarita Guide. Today I’ve tweaked it a little bit to spice things up in the best way possible. Mike told me these are the BEST margaritas I’ve made so far! We like to serve them with my Cheesy Beef Enchiladas or my Baja Fish Tacos. But they are definitely perfect for Cinco de Mayo, which is coming up in the month! (I even have a pitcher version for you) So, let’s dive in.
Ingredients you’ll need:
This is a straight up classic margarita recipe. In fact, I actually use my Ultimate Margarita Recipe as the “base.” The only thing I changed was infusing the tequila with jalapeño. To make this margarita you’ll need:
- Tequila – When it comes to margaritas I like to use a resposada, blanco or añejo!
- Jalapeño – To infuse the tequila I use fresh jalapeños, slice them up and place in the tequila with the seeds to soak and really let the juices from the jalapeños into the liquor.
- Cointreau – I like to add Cointreau because I find it adds a bitter orange taste that pairs well with the orange juice and is less sweet than grand mariner or triple sec.
- Lime Juice – Fresh squeezed lime juice is best, if you’re using a store bought lime juice usually it will have added sugars. So please use fresh squeezed, it makes a world of difference.
- Orange Juice – Fresh orange juice adds the sweetness you need without adding a simple syrup. Please DO NOT use tropicana, go fresh squeezed.
- Agave (optional): If you like your margaritas sweet like my husband, adding just a touch of agave really balances things out and makes this margarita so smooth!
How do you spice up a margarita?
There are a couple of thoughts behind how to spice up a margarita. I’ve heard some people muddle jalapeños to release the juices from the jalapeño into the drink. Other people use mezcal instead of tequila, which is a spicier liquor. I opted for infusing the tequila with jalapeño to really give you a spicy punch when you take that first sip. Once you infuse your liquor, you’ll never go back and will start infusing all the things.
How do you infuse tequila?
You’re going to be kicking yourself when you find out how easy it is to infuse tequila. Are you ready for it? Just add 1 1/2 cups of tequila to a mason jar and 1/3 – 1/2 cup of whatever you’re going to infuse it with. In this case, we are making jalapeño infused tequila and one large sliced up jalapeño with the seeds is about 1/3 cup. Cover and let the tequila sit at least overnight if not longer. Then strain and pour away.
How to make a Spicy Margarita Recipe?
To make these margaritas in a single serve form you’ll need a cocktail shaker and shot glass. Here’s how to make them:
- Make Jalapeno Infused Tequila – Add tequila blanco and sliced jalapeños to a mason jar. Cover and let sit for at least 24 hours. (the longer you let it infuse the more “spice” it will have.)
- Mix Cocktail – To a cocktail shaker add jalapeno tequila, cointreau, lime juice, orange juice and agave. Shake and pour over crushed ice. Garnish with more jalapeno slices or a lime wedge.
How to make Spicy Margaritas in a pitcher?
Let’s be real. Sometimes you just want more than one margarita. Or maybe you’re hosting a get together and you don’t want to be stuck with a cocktail shaker in your hand all night. I’ve got your back with an easy pitcher version of this epic Spicy Margarita Recipe as well. Here’s how to make it:
- Prep the Jalapeño Infused Tequila – Add tequila blanco and sliced jalapeños to a mason jar. Cover and let sit for at least 24 hours. (the longer you let it infuse the more “spice” it will have.)
- Mix Ingredients – To a medium pitcher add jalapeño tequila, cointreau, lime juice, orange juice and agave. Stir to incorporate everything. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Chill & Serve – Fill a glass with crushed ice and pour spicy margarita mixture over ice. Garnish with jalapeño slices and lime wedges.
Tips for Margarita Success:
- Good Tequila. This is a game changer! Good tequila to me means no headache afterwards. So I usually by higher end tequila like Don Julio, Herradura, el Jimador or Campo Azul.
- Fresh is Best. When it comes to margaritas, fresh squeezed juice is best.
- Crushed Ice. Trust me, crushed ice makes a difference. If you’re making a single serve I even like to add crushed ice to the cocktail shaker
- Shaken not stirred. I know, I know. I have a pitcher version and you stir it. But, if you have the time, add a 6 oz serving to a cocktail shaker with some crushed ice. Give the margarita a good shake and then serve. I don’t know what happens in that shaker, but it’s definitely different in the most wonderful way possible.
What to serve with Spicy Margaritas?
- The Best Guacamole Recipe
- Marinated Carne Asada Tacos
- Best Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Grilled Steak Fajita Salad with Chimichurri Dressing
- Pico de Gallo Recipe
- Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Lime Slaw
Kick up your cocktail game with this refreshing Spicy Margarita Recipe! Homemade jalapeno infused tequila mixed with fresh lime, orange juice and agave for the ultimate sip.
Jalapeno Infused Tequila:
- 1 1/2 cups blanco tequila
- 1 large jalapeno, sliced (with seeds)
- 2 oz. jalapeno tequila
- 3/4 oz. cointreau
- 1 oz fresh lime juice
- 1 oz. fresh orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon agave
Pitcher of Spicy Margarita
- 1 1/5 cup jalapeno tequila
- 4.5 oz. cointreau
- 6 oz. fresh lime juice
- 6 oz. fresh orange juice
- 3 teaspoons agave
Jalapeno Infused Tequila
- To a mason jar add tequila blanco and sliced jalapenos. Cover and let sit for at least 24 hours. (the longer you let it infuse the more “spice” it will have.)
- To a cocktail shaker add jalapeno tequila, cointreau, lime juice, orange juice and agave. Shake and pour over crushed ice. Garnish with more jalapeno slices or a lime wedge.
Pitcher of Spicy Margarita:
- To a medium pitcher add jalapeno tequila, cointreau, lime juice, orange juice and agave. Stir to incorporate everything. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Pour over ice and garnish with jalapeno slices and lime wedges.
- Serving Size: 1 margarita
- Calories: 216
- Sugar: 11 g
- Sodium: 0 mg
- Fat: 0 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 13 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: spicy margarita recipe, skinny spicy margarita recipe, spicy jalapeno margarita