An easy Grilled Steak Fajita Salad that’s loaded with tender juicy steak, grilled veggies, avocado and a zesty Chimichurri Dressing. A balanced low carb tex-mex inspired dinner recipe that you can throw together in 30 minutes.
An Easy Grilled Steak Salad Recipe
I don’t know about you, but I feel like summer is my excuse to make all the salads. Bright colors, fresh produce and light refreshing bites … yes please! Add protein and you’re done with dinner!
This Grilled Fajita Steak Salad, where do I even start? (insert thinking emoji face) Well, let’s just say anything that comes together in 30 minutes and allows me to feed everyone in my family with one meal. Meaning, I don’t have to make another meal because someone doesn’t like it, is a winner to me! And this salad, yup, it does the trick!
Tender Juicy Steak tossed with chargrilled peppers, my homemade pickled onions, fresh cherry tomatoes and creamy avocado. Perfection! Then you add in a zesty chimichurri dressing to really give this salad that umami pop.
OMG… you’ll literally be in Salad Heaven! So the next time you’re thinking of having fajitas, skip the taco and go fajita salad. I promise you’ll never go back!
What is a Fajita Salad?
Think fajitas without the taco. It’s basically all the things you would see in fajitas and would eventually stuff in a taco, but put in a salad. So, it has a 25 grams of protein from beef, peppers and onions. I usually put guacamole or avocado on my fajitas as well as tomatoes or salsa, so I added them into this salad!
Ingredients you’ll need for this Fajita Steak Salad:
The key to a salad is good quality ingredients. You don’t need a ton, but if you purchase quality over quantity it will reflect in your food. Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this Fajita Steak Salad.
- Steak: Flank Steak or Skirt Steak are the perfect cut for this salad, just be sure to get them tenderized by your butcher. For the ultimate summer grilling guide be sure to head over to Beef Loving Texans.
- Bell Peppers: Fresh red and yellow bell peppers cut into julienne slices
- Pickled Onions: This is KEY, use my easy homemade pickled onion recipe. Trust me, you’ll be addicted.
- Avocado: I like to use plain fresh sliced avocado, however you could also mash it up or make a simple guacamole to put on top as well.
- Tomatoes: Fresh grape tomatoes or roma tomatoes are perfect in this salad, or even heirloom tomatoes since they are in season.
- Dressing: I opted to make my Chimichurri Dressing because the zestiness of this sauce really cuts through the richness from the steak and brings everything together nicely. However, there are a couple of other dressing options below.
What kind of steak to use for steak salad?
At the end of the day I think it depends on who you’re serving it to and your budget. If I’m making it during the week for my family I usually go with a cheaper cut like flank steak or skirt steak. However, if you want to make it for date night or when company comes. I will up the flavor of my cut a bit and use either a ribeye, filet mignon or top sirloin. They are a bit more tender and have more marbling, which equals flavor! To see more about cuts of beef head over to Beef Loving Texans.
How to make Fajita Salad?
This salad comes together in 30 minutes but packs a punch of flavor. You’ll need a grill for this recipe, however if you don’t have one you could sear the steak and peppers in a skillet on the stove. Here’s how to make it.
- Heat Grill: Preheat grill to medium high heat, about 350-375°F.
- Season Steak: Season both sides of flank steak with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Prep Veggies: In a medium bowl add julienned peppers, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper to season.
- Make Dressing: To a blender add garlic clove, fresh cilantro, red wine vinegar, lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to a small food processor or blender. Blend until the cilantro is finely chopped. Then add olive oil to the food processor and blend until the dressing combines. Set aside.
- Grill Peppers: First grill the peppers. Place them on either a grill basket or put a cast iron skillet right on the grill. Saute for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are charred. Remove from grill and let rest.
- Sear Steak: Next, up place the seasoned flank steak on the grill. Sear each side for 3-5 minutes. Remove from grill and let rest for 5 minutes to the juices redistribute then slice the steak.
- Assemble the salad: add spring mix to a large bowl, top with sliced steak, grilled peppers and onions, cherry tomatoes and sliced avocado. Serve with dressing on the side.
What to serve with Fajita Steak Salad?
While this salad can stand on its own. Here are a few other things we enjoy serving with it!
- Easy Mango Shrimp Ceviche with Avocado
- Crispy Air Fryer Avocado Fries with Dipping Sauces
- Homemade Pico de Gallo Recipe
- Frozen Strawberry Margaritas
- Cheesy Sheet Pan Steak Nachos
Balanced salad recipes you might enjoy:
- Detox Strawberry Chicken Salad with Honey Mustard Dressing
- Paleo Mason Jar Southwest Chicken Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Shaved Zucchini Asparagus Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
*** This recipe was sponsored by Beef Loving Texans. However, like always all opinions are 100% mine! Thank you for supporting the brands that support Joyful Healthy Eats. ***Print
An easy grilled fajita steak salad that’s loaded with tender steak, veggies, avocado and a quick chimichurri dressing done in 30 minutes.
- 1 lb. flank steak or skirt steak
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow pepper, julienned
- 1 red pepper, julienned
- 1 green pepper, julienned
- 4 cups of spring mix
- 1/2 cup pickled red onion
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat grill to medium high heat, about 350-375 degrees F..
- Season both sides of the flank steak with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In medium bowl add julienned peppers, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper to season. Toss to coat the peppers.
- To grill the peppers. Place them on either a grill basket or put a cast iron skillet right on the grill. Saute for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they are charred. Remove from grill and let rest.
- Place seasoned flank steak on the grill. Sear each side for 4-5 minutes. Remove from grill and let rest for 5 minutes to the juices redistribute then slice the steak.
- For the dressing: add garlic clove, fresh cilantro, red wine vinegar, lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to a small food processor or blender. Blend until the cilantro is finely chopped. Then add olive oil to the food processor and blend until the dressing combines.
- To assemble the salad add spring mix to a large bowl (or four individual bowls), top with sliced steak, grilled peppers, pickled onions, cherry tomatoes and sliced avocado. Serve with chimichurri dressing on the side.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cup salad + dressing
- Calories: 438
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 435 mg
- Fat: 32 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 13 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 27 g
- Cholesterol: 75 mg
Keywords: steak salad, fajita steak, grilled steak salad recipe