These Paleo Crock Pot Balsamic Braised Short Rib Tacos will be your new favorite Crock Pot recipe! Cuz Tacos… duh! They are sweet & spicy, easy, healthy, and totally deliver on flavor! You’re gonna be in love!
Does anyone else worry about their children!?
Growing up is WAY different these days then when we were growing up. There is more bullying go on, our children are confronted with adolescent issues when they are in elementary school, smart phones are everywhere and can easily access things little children should not be looking at, they are confronted with sex at such an early age … the list goes on.
I can remember getting home from school, running outside and playing till the sun went down without parental supervision. No big deal! These days, if you aren’t outside with your child they might get grabbed right out of your front yard. You use to be able to let your children play at someone elses house, but now even the people you thought you could trust may be a child predator.
It is a scary world to grow up in these days and even more concerning as a parent. Ya’ll we have a very important job! We are shaping the future, developing the character of men and women, and showing them the love of God so they can in turn show the love of God to other people.
I don’t know about you, but I take that very seriously.
As the daughter of a ex-cop and FBI agent my mind is always going. Worry and fear of something happening to Cason are always on my mind and it eats at me … even in my dreams. But the other day I read this devotional and it was a great reminder that instead of worrying about Cason and any issue that he might face, I should pray for him. And recognize the challenging journeys they face at school — or in life — may be exactly what they need in order to hear God’s voice and receive His direction for their lives.
This is so hard for me, like even right now I am about to tear up because I want the BEST for him. I don’t want him to hurt. But you know what, some of the toughest times in my life I heard God’s voice the most. So if thats what it takes for him to hear the Lord, then so be it. I won’t be praying for hard times … believe me! But I will be praying that the Lord gives him the strength, perseverance and wisdom to get through it. And that he hears the Lords voice through those times!
So here’s my new vow. When a fear or worry for Cason comes to mind, I start praying immediately .. instead of lingering on that fear.
Philippians 4:6-7, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”
I would love to challenge you to do the same if you struggle with this like I do! Hugs to you sweet friends!
Ok, now onto this fantastic recipe that I couldn’t wait to share with you!
These Paleo Crock Pot Balsamic Braised Short Ribs Tacos are EVERYTHING! This dish has layer upon layer of flavor!
First the short ribs are rubbed down with a bold spice blend, then placed on a skillet for a quick sear to lock all the flavors in. Then into the crock pot they go, along with onions, dried apicots, balsamic, and tomato sauce. Ya’ll! I seriously cannot say enough how amazing the sauce is in these! You will want to bathe in it!
The kicker for this dish though are the jicama taco shells! Yup, you heard me! Jicama taco shells! It’s Jicama that is thinly sliced using a Mandolin so it looks like a tortilla! You can find them pre-cut in the grocery store in the produce section around where the pre-cut veggies are or where the salad mixes are. I saw them the other day and almost did a happy dance in the grocery store! These babies are awesome and cut a huge chunk of carbs out of your meal!
This recipe is paleo, gluten free, dairy free, and 100% freakin delicious! Plus you can’t beat throwing everything in the Crock Pot, coming home to a house that smells ah-mazing, and food that is addicting!
Bon Appetit sweet friends!Print
- 2-3 lbs. of bone-in beef short ribs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Spice Blend:
- 2 tablespoon of course sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon of dried sage
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- 1 tablespoon of smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 15 oz. can of tomato sauce
- ½ cup of balsamic vinegar
- 5 whole dried apricots
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 red onion, roughly chopped
- 20 jicama tacos
- 2 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup diced fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- In a small bowl, add course sea salt, dried rosemary, dried sage, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, black pepper, and ancho chili powder. Stir to mix.
- Pat the short ribs dry with a paper towel.
- Generously rub the spice mixture onto both sides of the short ribs.
- Heat a large skillet to medium high heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan. Add the short ribs to the pan, sear each side for 2-3 minutes until they have slight browning.
- Add the seared short ribs directly to the Crock Pot.
- Next add tomato sauce, balsamic vinegar, dried apricots, garlic cloves, and red onion to the Crock Pot.
- Cover and let cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours. (or on low for 6-8 hours)
- Remove short ribs from the crock pot and shred the ribs using two forks. Place the meat back into the Crock Pot with the sauce. Stir the meat around.
- Serve short ribs on a jicama taco and top with fresh avocado, cilantro, red onion slices, and a wedge of lime.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT #JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!