This creamy spiked eggnog is infused with amaretto and rum just screams Christmas. Serve it with a nutmeg coated rim for an extra special sip!
Why You’ll Love This Spiked Eggnog Recipe
Starting out with pre-made eggnog is what makes this creamy cocktail such an easy and convenient holiday drink.
- Perfect for gatherings. Serve it in the pitcher so everyone can have as much as they want!
- Simple. All you need to do is stir 4 ingredients together and you’re done.
- Lactose-free. This recipe is perfect when you’ve got lactose-intolerant guests coming over but still want to serve this traditional holiday cocktail.
- Great for the holidays. It’s thick, rich, creamy, and has all the cozy goodness a winter drink needs thanks to the amaretto, rum, and nutmeg in the recipe.
What is Eggnog?
Eggnog is originally from medieval Britain but it’s a well-loved holiday drink in the US. The base ingredients are milk, cream, sugar, and lots of eggs. Spices like nutmeg and cinnamon can be added for extra warmth. It’s typically spiked with rum but some variations of this drink use bourbon or brandy. The creamy mixture is simmered until thickened and then cooled completely before serving at room temperature or chilled.
Amaretto is the secret to the ultra nutty, slightly fruity notes you’ll find in each sip. Check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact quantities.
- Lactose-free eggnog – You can use regular eggnog.
- Amaretto liquor – Feel free to use hazelnut liquor instead.
- White rum – It’s got a milder spice compared to other rums but the sharp, clean finish is perfect.
- Ground nutmeg – Cinnamon works too.
How to Make Spiked Eggnog
A stir-only recipe is my definition of a fail-proof one. Check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for more detailed instructions.
- Fill the pitcher. Add all of the ingredients to the pitcher.
- Stir. Gently stir everything together.
- Serve. Pour 1/2-3/4 cup into each serving glass. Garnish it with nutmeg and enjoy.
Tips & Variations
From heating it to adding whipped cream on top, these tips will help you take any eggnog with alcohol (or without it) to the next level.
- Add a rim. Dip the serving glasses into sweetened condensed milk and then into vanilla cookie crumbs. Let it air dry for 10 minutes before pouring in the eggnog. Cinnamon sugar is great for this too.
- Use homemade. If you’ve got a family recipe for eggnog, go ahead and use it!
- Add a stirrer. Cinnamon sticks and pirouette cookies make great stirrers. One adds warmth, the other adds crunch.
- Heat it. Place the eggnog in the microwave for 15 seconds at a time until warm or hot to taste. Enjoy!
- Add toppings. Swirl in some whipped cream and sprinkle it with candied pecans for extra flavor.
- Swap the booze. Dark rum, bourbon, cognac, or brandy make great swaps for the white rum in this recipe and all yield a similar smokey sweetness.
- Make a small batch. If you’re not expecting anyone over, halve the recipe so it makes 2.5 servings instead of 5.
This spiked eggnog is great with your favorite holiday desserts. For fall flavors, pair it with my Vegan Pumpkin Pie Bars or Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes. For Christmas I love it with my Peppermint Brownies and Chocolate Cake with Peppermint Buttercream. If it’s already New Year’s, go for my Baked Brie with Fig Jam or Apple Galette. You can also just dip my Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti into the eggnog if you’re not celebrating anything in particular.
Skip the holiday craze by making it ahead of time, just make sure to store it properly.
- Store it in the fridge. Refrigerate it in an airtight container or mason jar for up to 5 days. You can also store it in the pitcher but tightly cover the opening with plastic wrap. Keep it away from strong-smelling foods like onions.
- Reheating and serving. This recipe doesn’t need to be reheated. Serve it straight out of the fridge or leave it on the counter for 5-10 minutes so it comes down to room temperature.
More Holiday Drink Ideas
- Spiced Cranberry Whiskey Sour
- Cranberry Gin Moscow Mule
- Spiked Cranberry Mulled Apple Cider
- Cranberry Mimosa
- Christmas Holiday Sangria
This creamy spiked eggnog recipe with hints of nutmeg is a velvety cocktail you’ll be serving at all your holiday parties this year.
- 3 cups lactose free eggnog
- 1/2 cup amaretto liquor
- 1/4 cup white rum
- dash of ground nutmeg or cinnamon on top
- Pour eggnog, amaretto liquor and white rum into a pitcher. Using a wooden spoon, stir to mix everything together.
- Pour 1/2 – 3/4 cup per serving.
- Garnish with cinnamon stick and a dash of nutmeg or cinnamon.
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup
- Calories: 307
- Sugar: 30 g
- Sodium: 122 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 38 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Cholesterol: 72 mg
Keywords: spiked eggnog, spiked eggnog recipe, eggnog with alcohol