The BEST Peppermint Brownies made from scratch with a secret ingredient to make them extra fudgy then topped with crushed candy canes for the perfect holiday finishing touch!
The past couple of days I have been walking around in a half zombie state. Mostly because I have been hopped up on Benadryl the past 4 days. I’m not one for taking medicine so that’s saying A LOT!
After coughing non stop and wearing tissue as my new accessory. My husband finally convinced me it was time to go to the doctor and have him check me out. Well, guess what. I thought it was allergies… turns out it was Bronchitis.
Awesome! Just what I wanted for thanksgiving. (crying in the corner)
So now I will be hopped up on Benadryl AND steroids!
I guess the good thing is, the sickness forces me to slow down a little bit, enjoy the holiday season, watch some Hallmark Christmas Movies (oh you know that is going down for sure), and rest! And that I AM thankful for!
Something else I’m thankful for is chocolate! Are you thankful for chocolate? I sure am!
I figured since we are one day away from Thanksgiving we should have a spirit of thankfulness! Right!
Chocolate is my weakness, my lover, my vice, and my perfect soulmate! It comforts me on a bad day and can make a good day even better just by indulging on one simple bite. Not many things do that … but chocolate! Oh chocolate. It works it’s magic every time!
Ok, kinda weird. So I’m gonna stop with my love affair writing with chocolate. (see I told you … I actually just took a shot of benadryl and the weirdness is coming out in my writing .. I’m truly sorry for those of you reading)
Back to the point. Chocolate.
One of my favorite combos during the holiday season, besides pumpkin, is peppermint or mint anything! Combine that with chocolate and you have yourself a winner!
These Peppermint Brownies are not only fudgy, uber chocolate-y, with a slight taste of peppermint. But they are super easy to make! The trick to a tasty chocolate-y brownie is adding melted chocolate to it on top of the cocoa powder. Using just cocoa powder will leave you with more of cake-like brownie, but add some chocolate to it and viola fudgy brownie.
AKA… the brownie of your dreams!
You will have some much fun making AND devouring these Peppermint Brownies with your kiddos. So go out, get the ingredients, and get to baking!
Bon Appetite my friends and Happy Thanksgiving!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup crushed peppermint candies or candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease an 8×8 glass baking dish with cooking spray. Then line the bottom with parchment paper and up the sides for easy removal after baking.
- In a small bowl, add chocolate chips and butter. Melt chocolate in the microwave, heating in 30 second shifts and stirring until chocolate is smooth and completely melted.
- Pour chocolate into a large bowl and let rest for 5 minutes.
- To the chocolate bowl whisk in eggs, one at a time. Whisk in the sugar.
- Next add vanilla extra, cocoa powder, white whole wheat flour, ground cinnamon, sea salt. and half the candy cane mixture. Whisk everything together until completely combined.
- To the prepared baking dish, add the brownie mix.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for a10-15 minutes, top with remaining crushed candy canes.
- Serving Size: 1 brownie
- Calories: 166
- Sugar: 10 g
- Sodium: 53 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 17 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 55 mg
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT #JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!
Want More Chocolate?