These Gluten Free Peppermint Chocolate Cookies make the perfect holiday dessert! Soft, pillowy chocolate cookies dipped in chocolate & topped with peppermint. A must make this Christmas!
Ewww… is usually the response I get from my son when it involves peppermint.
Oh, and then it’s followed by a nose plug.
For whatever reason the kid does NOT like peppermint. He thinks it’s “too spicy.” And if by mistake I forget there’s peppermint in something and he tries it. It’s immediately followed by a gag reflex. Ugh.
But this time. This time, things were different.
Cason came home from school and I had just finished making these Gluten Free Peppermint Chocolate Cookies. They were sitting on the counter looking all pretty and sparkly, and to my surprise he wanted one. I informed him that the cookies had peppermint on them and he said “it’s ok mommy, I’ll try it.”
Well guys, HE LOVED THEM! I call that a huge mom win. He even said that his favorite part was the “hard chocolate” (the chocolate dipped part) with the peppermint candies. And now, apparently he loves peppermint. HA! Well, only crushed up peppermint … at least that’s what he tells me.
All that to say. I converted a peppermint hater to a lover with these cookies which means this are DANG good! Pillowy soft chocolate cookies dunked in melted dark chocolate and sprinkled with crushed peppermint candy. Yup, they are absolutely dreamy and the perfect cookies for the holidays or for a Christmas Cookie exchange!
For these particular cookies I use gluten free flour and cocoa powder. Dutch Processed Dark Chocolate is the key here, it gives the cookies that deep chocolate flavor!
- Bake cookies in the oven and place on a baking rack. Let cookies cool.
- Add chocolate melting wafers to a small bowl.
- Melt chocolate wafers in microwave until smooth.
- Dunk cooled cookies in melted chocolate and place on parchment paper.
- Let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Honestly the key to these chocolate cookies is the hard shell of chocolate and peppermint around it. The the crunch, extra chocolate and the bits of candy cane goodness is incredible! You’ll absolutely love it!
It’s a Christmas Cookie must make this year! Plus, it just looks like Christmas. Right?
Bon Appetit friends!
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 8 min
- Total Time: 13 min
- Yield: 18 cookies 1x
- Category: Cookies
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: american
Gluten Free Peppermint Chocolate Cookies make the perfect holiday dessert! These soft pillowy chocolate cookies dipped in chocolate & topped with peppermint are a must make this Christmas!
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 1/4 cup dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cups dark chocolate melting wafers
- 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a stand mixer add butter and sugar. Beat until creamy.
- Add in the cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat until all the ingredients are combined. Scrap the sides to mix everything if you need to.
- Next add in the egg and vanilla extract. Beat until combined. Then add in the flour and beat until combined.
- The dough should be a good ball rolling consistency, if not, put the dough in the refrigerator for a bit to harden up.
- Scoop into 1″ balls and place on parchment lined baking sheets (or you could use silicon mats, which is what I prefer) about 2″ apart.
- Using your thumb or a teaspoon measure, press each ball in the middle making a slight imprint. This will help cookies flatten out.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cookies sit for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, to a small bowl add chocolate melting wafers. Melt chocolate in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring each time until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Dunk each cookie in the chocolate (cover about half of the cookie) and place on parchment paper.
- Sprinkle the chocolate dipped side with crushed peppermint candy.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 98
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 74 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 24 mg
Keywords: chocolate cookies, gluten free cookies, gluten free chocolate cookies, peppermint chocolate, chocolate peppermint, healthy christmas cookies, christmas cookie exchange recipes, holiday recipes, healthy dessert recipes, christmas cookie recipes
Want More Christmas Cookie Recipes?
- Easy No Bake Almond Snowball Cookies
- Chocolate Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies
- Soft & Chewy Ginger Cookies
- The BEST Peppermint Brownies
I made these last night (for a Christmas treat) and they turned out nicely! The texture was a little crumbly (similar to a ‘Jojo’ cookie from beloved Trader Joes) but they did hold together well. The chocolate and peppermint were a wonderful touch, adding delightful crunch and richness. Next time I might add some mint extract to the batter for some more minty freshness 🙂