Healthy juicy Southwestern Turkey Burgers stuffed with lettuce, tomato, a simple guacamole, and a Spicy Aioli made with Piquillo Peppers and Chipotle Peppers! The ultimate Turkey Burger recipe your family will love – just 20 minutes!
I cannot believe we have come to end for our Burger Week already!
I’m kinda sad about it, aren’t you?!
Lucky for you I decided to keep the best one for last so we are going out with a big bang today!
This Southwestern Turkey Burger was actually the second burger I tested of the group for burger week, but hands down our favorite.
The ground turkey mixture totally makes this dish shine, its actually the same base recipe I used for my Roasted Pepper Turkey Burger which has roasted red pepper and roasted poblano on top with goat cheese! If you haven’t checked that one out do it, its an oldie on JHE but a goodie! 🙂
The ground turkey mixture which becomes your burger patty has finely diced onions, garlic, fresh cilantro, ground cumin, and an egg for a binder. You will LOVE the flavor that this turkey burger gives off, in fact, dare I say it may be your new favorite over beef! Its so juicy too!
This burger is topped with lettuce, tomato, and a simple guacamole mixture which is just lime, avocado, and salt (easy peasy). But the kicker is this Spicy Aioli. Have you ever had piquillo peppers before? They are a type of red chili but it has more of a sweet taste instead of heat. I added a couple Piquillo peppers as well as chipotle pepper and lime to some mayo and this delicious aioli was born!
On Wednesday I gave you a bunch of tips on how to get the best burger… well I have one more.
Toast the buns!
I know its a simple thing and it literally takes 1 minute to do, but it adds so much flavor to your burger and the warm crunchy texture of the bun just amps everything up that much more! Do it! I promise you will notice a difference!
Alright folks, that wraps up burger week here at JHE, in case you missed it be sure to check out the other burgers featured this week.
Till next time…
IF YOU MAKE ONE OF THESE BURGER RECIPES, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT#JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!Print
Southwestern Turkey Burger:
- 1.25lb ground turkey
- 1/4 cup finely diced onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 egg
- salt & pepper
- 2 avocados
- juice of one lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 roasted piquillo peppers
- 1 small chipotle peppers (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobe sauce)
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Roma Tomato, slicced
- Red Leaf Lettuce
- 4 whole wheat buns
- Heat grill to medium high heat, about 400 degrees.
- To a food processor add, piquillo peppers, chipotle pepper, mayo, and lime juice. Blend until smooth and peppers are finely chopped. Set aside.
- In a small bowl add avocado, lime juice, and salt. Using a fork, gently smash the avocado – be careful not to over smash you want it to be somewhat chunky. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add ground turkey, diced onion, fresh cilantro, ground cumin, garlic cloves, egg, salt and pepper. Using your hands mix so everything is combined.
- Form ground turkey mixture into four equal patties.
- Place turkey burgers on grill, and grill for 4-5 minutes per side. (DO NOT push the burger with your spatula is pushes all the juices out) Remove from grill and let sit.
- Place whole wheat buns on grill and toast for 1 minute. Remove from grill.
- Assemble burger – bottom bun, lettuce, burger, tomato, guacamole, spicy mayo slathered onto top bun.