Healthy Paleo Chipotle Turkey Burgers topped with zesty guacamole all done in 30 minutes!
Healthy Paleo Chipotle Turkey Burgers filled with tex-mex flavor then topped with zesty guacamole and pickled onions. These Turkey Burgers are low carb, high in protein, done in 30 minutes and guaranteed to be a favorite!
These days one of my favorite ways to eat a burger is ‘sans’ the bun. (meaning without the bun)
I find burgers with a bun walk a very fine line. There is a bun to burger ratio that cannot be crossed. You want to taste the burger and all the amazing toppings, not be overwhelmed by this huge bun it’s served on. And more times than not, the bun overwhelms. So I just decided, burgers without buns is the way to go.
Plus it’s a easy way to cut back on the carbs and remove the gluten.
These Chipotle Turkey Burgers have been in my repertoire for a while now. I know I know. Why did I wait so long to share them?
You know, I’m not sure. I guess I was just so focused on creating fun new recipes that I didn’t focus on the staples I already have at our house. These burgers are definitely one of our favorites and loaded with flavor before they even hit the skillet.
In my opinion, ground turkey needs that extra boost of flavor. If you’re making a beef burger, all you need is some salt and pepper. But with ground turkey, which can get dry fast, I like to add flavor before it hits the grill. Or in this case, the skillet. 🙂
These burgers have minced chipotle peppers, fresh cilantro, garlic powder and onion powder for a nice smokey Tex-Mex flavor. They are served on a wedge of iceberg lettuce a thick slice of tomato and then topped with zesty guacamole. I added pickled red onions for a little more zing, but mainly because I’m obsessed with pickled onions.
Did you know fermented veggies are great for gut health? Well, they are! Which just gives me another excuse to load up on pickled onions.
Even though it might still be cold outside by you. No need for the grill, these burgers can be made year round because I cooked them on a skillet. So you can still have a taste of the summer when the snow is on the ground! Woot Woot!
These Chipotle Turkey Burgers have a little sweet, spicy, creamy and tangy. You’ll absolutely love all the flavor combination and how quickly they come together!
Bon Appetit friends!
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 1 burger
- Calories: 341
- Fat: 21 g
- Saturated fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 12 g
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 589 mg
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 29 g
- Cholesterol: 105 mg
- 1.5lbs. ground lean turkey
- ⅓ cup fresh diced cilantro
- ½ tablespoon diced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- salt to season
- 1 tablespoon grape seed oil
- 1 beef steak tomato, sliced
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce, sliced into wedges
- 3 avocado, mashed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Homemade Pickled Onions
- Make Pickled Onions.
- To a large bowl add ground turkey, fresh cilantro, chipotle peppers, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper. Using your hands mix to combine everything together.
- Then form into 4 equal patties (should be about ⅓lb. per patty). Set aside.
- In a small bowl add avocado, lime juice, and sea salt. Using a fork or a potato masher, mash the avocado and stir other ingredients together. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet to medium high heat.
- Add grape seed oil to the pan. Next add in the chipotle turkey patties. Cook each skillet for 5-6 minutes, you should have a night sear on both sides.
- Remove from pan.
- Assemble the burgers: place a lettuce wedge on the bottom, top with tomato slice, turkey burger, 1-2 tablespoons of guacamole and top with pickled onions.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT #JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!
Want More Healthy Sandwich Recipes?