Smashed Chickpea Crostini topped with a fresh tomato Bruschetta – a light vegetarian appetizer perfect for the summer!
Todays the big day. Today we are having our big dinner party with the elders of our church. And don’t worry, I finally set the menu and can’t wait to execute. It’s gonna be delicious. I’m making a pan seared beef tenderloin (basically filet mignon) finished off in the oven. Accompanying the beef they’ll have an option of black truffle garlic herb butter, zesty chimichurri or creamy horseradish sauce. For sides I made Smashed Garlic Parmesan Potatoes, balsamic marinaded Grilled Asparagus and my Grilled Chili Lime Sweet Corn Salad.
I can’t wait!
This past year I’ve realized I really enjoy just making all the food instead of having people bring different things.. Not only is it a blessing for those who come to just “show up” but I also love serving people. It fills my tank.
Ok, moving on.
So lately I’ve been kinda obsessed with Chickpeas.
I think it all started when I made that Vegan Chickpea Cookie Dough. I’m totally obsessed and I guess so are you, because it’s gone viral on the internet!
Along with my chickpea obsession is my bruschetta obsession.
In the summer time, bruschetta is a must. There is just something about juicy tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic and olive oil that makes my heart sing. Served on top of crunchy bread and well… it’s just perfection! Mike and I love to have bruschetta for dinner some nights, along with a glass of wine.
Today I decided to combine my two loves and make a Smashed Chickpea Crostini topped with a fresh tomato Bruschetta. Ya’ll! This is absolutely delicious!
It basically tastes like rustic hummus slathered on top of crunchy toasted bread with a fresh vibrant garden tomato bruschetta drizzled on top. You’ll love it! It makes the perfect summer appetizer. (or late night mommy and daddy dinner 🙂 )
Bon Appetit friends and happy weekend!
A fresh garden tomato bruschetta drizzled over smashed chickpeas and crunchy toasted bread.
For the Bruschetta:
- 4 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chiffoned
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
For the Smashed Chickpeas:
- 14 oz. can low sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
For the Crostini:
- 1 loaf french bread, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place sliced french bread on baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil. (you may need 2 baking sheets)
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the bread is slightly browned and crispy.
- In the meantime, to a medium bowl add roma tomatoes, garlic clove, fresh basil, olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Stir to mix everything together and set aside.
- To another medium bowl add chickpeas. Using a fork or masher, smash the chickpeas to until you no longer see large chunks. Add in the tahini, lemon juice and cumin. Using a spoon mix everything together.
- Assemble the crostini. Top each slice of toasted bread with 1 tablespoon of the smashed chickpeas (spread it out) then 1-2 tablespoons of the fresh bruschetta.
Keywords: crostini, how to make a bruschetta, bruschetta
Want More Appetizer Recipes?