Easy Low Carb Philly Cheese Steak Stuffed Mushrooms done in 30 minutes!
Easy Low Carb Philly Cheese Steak Stuffed Mushrooms filled with tender steak, sautéed vegetables and gooey cheese. These Stuffed Mushrooms are done in 30 minutes and loaded with flavor!
I went to college in Chicago. I can remember one night freshman year, during volleyball pre-season, we had the night off. A couple of the soccer guys asked me and some friends to go get dinner with them. I felt the coolest! They were upper class men asking freshmen girls.
But this wasn’t any dinner. Oh no. Apparently we were being introduced to the ultimate “hoagie” sandwich. This particular hoagie was the perfect combination of flavor bursting meat, soft yet crunchy bread (which is the KEY to a good hoagie), sautéed veggies and then slathered with the right amount of mayonnaise. Leading to one ultimate hoagie sandwich that you will swoon over.
These boys were introducing us not to just any food, but the perfect Chicago Hoagie. They watched intently to see our reaction after we took the first bite. And it was just as good as they said it was.
And today I am introducing YOU, not to just any philly cheese steak but a healthier low carb (that’s just as good as the real thing) philly cheese steak!
For this version, I replaced the bun with a big portobello mushroom and stuffed it with all the ingredients for a truly legit philly cheese steak!
I seared top sirloin on a skillet, thinly sliced it and then sautéed some peppers and onions … obvious staples for a philly cheese steak. Once all the searing was done I added in a little bit of mayo, provolone cheese, garlic powder and then some horseradish for a little kick. But mainly because Mike and I are obsessed with horseradish. AND steak and horseradish in our house are synonymous.
The best way to prep a portobello mushroom is to use a spoon to gently scoop out the gills from the inside. Gently spray each side of the portobello with cooking spray and then season with salt.
Once you have the philly cheese steak filling all prepped, stuff each portobello mushroom with the filling. Then bake for 20 minutes till the cheese is all melt-y and is slightly browned on top. The mushrooms will be tender and the filling all warm and gooey.
It’ll be the BEST guilt free Philly Cheese Steak you’ll have in your life. I guarantee it. Even the kiddos will like this one!
These stuffed mushrooms clock in at 220 calories a serving with 16 grams of protein and only 9 grams of carbs.
They are done in 30 minutes, loaded with flavor and sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Bon Appetit friends! I hope you enjoy!
Easy Low Carb Philly Cheese Steak Stuffed Mushrooms filled with tender steak, sautéed vegetables and gooey cheese.
- 6 large portobello mushrooms, stem and gills removed
- 8 oz. top sirloin steak, if more than an 1″ thick thinly slice in half
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 red pepper, julienned
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 oz. shredded provolone cheese
- parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Remove stems and gills from each portobello mushrooms. Place on a baking sheet. Spray both sides of the mushroom with oil (or cooking spray) and season with salt. Set aside.
- Season both sides of top sirloin with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large skillet to high heat.
- Spray with cooking spray and place top sirloin in pan. Sear both sides of the steak, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove steak from pan and let rest. Immediately spray pan with cooking spray again and add peppers and onions to the pan. Saute for 2-3 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and onions are somewhat translucent.
- Add vegetables to a large bowl.
- Thinly slice the top sirloin and add to the bowl with the sautéed vegetables. Next to that same bowl add, sour cream, mayonnaise, prepared horseradish, garlic powder, ground black pepper and provolone cheese. Using a spoon, stir to combine all the ingredients.
- Stuff each portobello mushroom with steak mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve!
- Serving Size: 1 stuffed mushroom
- Calories: 220
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 252 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 16 g
- Cholesterol: 47 mg
Keywords: mushrooms stuffed, portobello stuffed mushrooms, easy stuffed mushrooms
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT #JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!
Want More Low Carb Recipes?