A classic recipe for crispy Homemade Baked Pita Chips! These crunchy pita chips are easy to make in under 30 minutes, customizable with your favorites herbs and perfect for snacking.
Quick & Easy Homemade Pita Chips
I cannot say it enough. Making your own food is not only rewarding, but it is also WAY better than the store bought stuff.
Case and point –> these Homemade Baked Pita Chips. They have just the right amount of crunch on the outside while being semi-tender on the inside. They are absolutely divine when they are fresh out of the house! As in they are straight up addicting so you may not have any leftovers! Just saying.
Let’s dive in so you can get to baking!
Are pita chips healthy?
Many women think that pita chips are a healthier alternative to regular chips. However, some varieties can rack up as much fat and sodium as a bag of Doritos. Flipse suggests you opt for baked, not fried, varieties, and seasoned, not salted. Stacy’s Multigrain Pita Chips are a good choice
Ingredients you’ll need to make Homemade Pita Chips:
Pita Chips are so easy to make, you’ll never go back to store bought once you’ve made your own. Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make these epic baked pita chips.
- Pita Bread – You can use plain or whole wheat pita bread for these pita chips. I like to keep them with the pocket in the middle instead of separating the pita pocket which would create thinner chips. However, if you like the thinner chips then by all means separate the pockets.
- Olive Oil – Use a good olive oil to coat the pita bread so it browns nicely and gives good flavor.
- Herbs – This is your opportunity to add flavor or seasoning to your pita chips. I use dry basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. I have also used a mediterranean spice called Za’atar which is delicious as well.
How to make Homemade Baked Pita Chips?
- Prep Oven: Preheat oven to 350°F. Next, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make Herb Oil: In a small bowl, mix olive oil, basil, garlic powder, black pepper and salt.
- Cut Pita Bread: Using a knife cut a whole pita bread into 8 even triangles.
- Season: Place pita triangles in a large bowl and pour your seasoned olive oil over the pita. Using your hands, gently toss to coat each triangle with the seasoned olive oil. Then place seasoned pita bread on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake: Place baking sheet in oven and bake pita chips for 8-10 minutes, until slightly browned.
Are pita chips gluten free?
If you are using store bought plain pita bread then most likely it is not gluten free. Pita Bread is made from flour which means it will have gluten in it. However, if you’d like a gluten free option. I’d recommend these.
How to Store Homemade Pita Chips?
Once pita chips have cooled, store in an air tight container at room temperature. If stored properly these homemade pita chips will last up to 7 days. However, I recommend not letting them go past 3 days so they are at their freshest and still have that nice “crunch.”
What to serve with Homemade Pita Chips?
- Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
- Creamy Tzatziki Sauce
- Roasted Garlic White Bean Hummus
- Greek Turkey Meatball Gyros
- Light Greek Salad with Grilled Chicken
- Best Guacamole Recipe
A classic recipe for crispy Homemade Baked Pita Chips! These crunchy pita chips are healthy, easy to make in under 30 minutes, customizable with your favorites herbs and perfect for snacking.
- 4 Whole Wheat Pitas, cut into 8 triangles
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of dry basil
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix olive oil, garlic powder, black pepper, basil, pepper and salt.
- Place pita triangles in a bowl and pour seasoned olive oil over pita. Gently toss to coat each pita triangle, use your hands for this.
- Next place pita triangles on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until slightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Serve immediately or store in an air tight container.
Keywords: pita chips, homemade pita chips, baked pita chips, pita chip recipe, how to make pita chips, healthy pita chips, after school snack
DON’T MISS A RECIPE ->