The BEST Healthy Banana Blueberry Muffins you’ll ever eat! These fluffy moist blueberry muffins are super easy. Made with whole wheat flour and naturally sweetened with applesauce, honey and bananas! Perfect for a healthy breakfast or mid-day snack!
The BEST Healthy Blueberry Muffins Recipe
Bah! My baby is a year! She is no longer a baby.
Now she has a shopping cart, a purse and a little person dollhouse. Where has time gone?
I’m even giving her big people food now. She loved the cranberry chicken salad I made a couple weeks ago, tuna, pasta sauce, nutella lava cake and these banana blueberry muffins! That’s right, these healthy banana blueberry muffins are Maddie tested and approved!
In all honestly, this was the third round of testing on this recipe. It originally started off as banana blueberry bread, but I couldn’t quite get the texture and flavor right. I usually don’t end up making something more than once, so to say I was frustrated is an understatement.
But … I am proud to say after MU-CH testing I have perfected this recipe!
Made with whole wheat flour and naturally sweetened with apple sauce, banana and honey ensure that these muffins stay moist!
So here’s the big question.
How to Make Blueberry Muffins from Scratch?
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- To a small bowl add mashed banana, unsweetened applesauce, coconut oil, honey, egg and vanilla extract. Mix together and set aside.
- To a large bowl add whole wheat flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Whisk together, slowly add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Using a spatula stir together until well mixed.
- To a small bowl add blueberries with 1 tablespoon of whole wheat flour. Gently toss blueberries to coat.
- Add the blueberries to the batter, gently fold in.
- Fill muffin tins 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean
How to Make Blueberry Muffins Healthy?
- Substitute honey and applesauce for white sugar.
- Use whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour.
- Use mashed bananas for texture and added sweetness.
The Best Blueberry Muffins for a Baby or Toddler?
These Banana Blueberry Muffins are a great healthy muffin recipe for toddlers to start with. They are sweetened with natural sugars from the fruit and some honey and use whole grains. A moist easy to chew muffin that your little peanut will love!
How to Freeze Blueberry Muffins:
- Once blueberry muffins are cooled. Place muffins on a baking sheet in the freezer for one hour.
- Remove from freezer and place muffins in a freezer safe storage bag.
- Freeze up to 3 months.
- To reheat, wrap muffins with paper towel and place in microwave for 60 seconds. Serve.
These muffins are bursting with blueberry goodness and are only 151 calories per serving! I like to top them with a little almond butter for some added protein. Cason likes them warmed up with peanut butter.
They make a great on the go breakfast if you’re in a hurry, a fiber filled food to throw into your kiddos lunch or a great protein burst for a mid-day snack!
I cannot wait to hear what you guys think. Happy Monday.
The Best Healthy Banana Blueberry Muffin Recipe
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 17 min
- Total Time: 22 minutes
- Yield: 15 muffins 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Muffins
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
The BEST Healthy Banana Blueberry Muffins you’ll ever eat! These fluffy moist blueberry muffins are super easy. Made with whole wheat flour and naturally sweetened with applesauce, honey and bananas!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, add bananas. Using a fork mash up bananas until just very small lumps are left. Add honey, applesauce, coconut oil, vanilla extract and egg.
- Using a fork mix until combined.
- Next add in whole wheat flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Using a spatula, mix until wet and dry ingredients are completely combined!
- In a small bowl – combine 1-1/2 cups blueberries & 1 tablespoon of white whole wheat flour & toss to coat.
- Gently fold blueberries into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into muffin pan filling each hole about 3/4 of the way full (line or spray with cooking spray if not using the cupcake liners)
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Serve.
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 151
- Sugar: 10 g
- Sodium: 166 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 12 mg
Keywords: banana blueberry muffins, healthy blueberry muffins, blueberry muffin recipe, healthy muffin recipes, kid friendly, healthy snack recipes
Want More Healthy Muffin Recipes?
Lemon Raspberry Protein Muffins
Skinny Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
These are so good! How long are they good for? do they need to be refrigerated?
You can freeze these muffins for up to 3 months, and they are super easy to reheat; wrap muffins with a paper towel and place them in the microwave for 60 seconds.
Made these today! They were so good! I love that they aren’t as sugary as most muffins are. My 5yo loves them!
Things I did different.
Only had one banana so added 1/3 extra applesauce. (still yummy but I’d prefer more banana taste so next time I will make sure to have 2 bananas)
I used frozen blueberries tossed in the flour and it turned out just fine.
I topped them with a little raw sugar and rolled oats before sticking into the oven.
Half the batch I added some walnuts for the household since nuts aren’t allowed at school.
Will make again!
One of my favorite muffin recipes! Thank you for the 5-star review!