This Epic Steak Flatbread Pizza is topped with a creamy Gorgonzola sauce and fresh arugula, then piled high with filet mignon and pickled onions. This easy gluten free pizza recipe is must make, it’s perfect as a main dish or an appetizer.
Easy Steak Flatbread Pizza Recipe – That’s Also Gluten Free!
What’s more romantic than steak you ask? Steak on a flatbread pizza that’s covered with a tangy gorgonzola sauce, peppery arugula and pickled onions. I mean, just pour me a glass of wine and call it Valentines Day!
But in all seriousness. Our family loves us some steak and some pizza. So we just combined the two for one epic bite. Now, we make pizza at home fairly often. I just love making a night of it with the kids and letting them make their own. It’s a fun “night in” activity. Most of the time I make my own whole wheat pizza dough. But when Bobs Red Mill sent me this Grain Free Flatbread Mix I knew exactly what I was doing with it.
Trust me. Y’all have never had a pizza like this! And one of the best things? This flatbread mix is gluten free, so you even if you are on a GF diet you can enjoy this steak flatbread with an easy gluten free crust.
There are a couple epic components to ensure that you have the most bomb pizza of your life! The first component is a quality piece of steak. Next, add in a creamy sauce that pairs perfectly with the steak and of course my homemade pickled onions for that umami bite.
However, the most important part is the crust! After all, you can’t have a pizza without well, pizza! Bob’s Red Mill has you covered on this with their grain free flatbread mix. Their mix is made from almond & cassava flour. It has the perfect flavor and crisps up like a champ. Bob’s Red Mill offers the largest lines of organic, whole grain foods in the country. So it will definitely be at your local grocery store. All of their products are certified Kosher and made with ingredients grown from non-GMO seeds. Basically, if you start with great products then you are guaranteed to have a great end product.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for the steak flatbread pizza.
- Ghee – This whole30 friendly clarified butter adds a buttery taste to the flatbread as well as is a great fat to cook the steaks in.
- Water – You’ll need this to make the grain free flatbread mix by Bob’s Red Mill.
- Eggs – Another ingredient you’ll use for the flatbread mix.
- Bobs Red Mill Grain Flatbread Mix – The key ingredient for the crust. You can find this at any local grocery store or order off of Amazon.
- Olive Oil – You won’t need much olive oil. Just a little bit to brush along the edges of the dough before the pizza goes into the oven to be baked.
- Filet Mignon – Most of the time I would tell you, buy a Prime cut. However, because the steak is being sliced and then placed on the pizza. Choice is ok to use here.
- Seasoning: A little salt and pepper is all you’ll need to season the steak.
- Fresh Arugula – This fresh bitter green is put on top of the pizza at the very end. It brings
- Pickled Onions – Trust me, don’t skip this step! It might sound strange on pizza, but it is a key component to the overall flavor bomb that is this flatbread. Tip: make sure you have a least one slice of pickled onion for every bite. Here’s is a recipe to make your own quick homemade pickled onions.
- Parmesan Cheese (optional) – This is definitely not needed, but if you want to add a little grated parmesan cheese on top go for it.
Ingredients for the Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce:
This sauce was inspired by a restaurant we love, except the chef uses blue cheese. I think that gorgonzola is a little creamier and not as much of a punch if your face kinda taste. It’s subtle but still gives you that classic pungent taste. Paired with the yogurt, fresh herbs, lemon and then the steak – YUM!
- Plain Greek Yogurt – Most cream sauces use heavy cream as the main component. I went the greek yogurt route that’s a little healthier, has protein and packs a tangy punch.
- Lemon juice – The lemon juice just smooths the sauce out and tames some of the sour notes from yogurt and gorgonzola.
- Garlic Clove – Because honestly, what recipe is complete without garlic.
- Rosemary – This fresh lemony herb brightens up the sauce and is one of my favorite herbs to use with steak.
- Gorgonzola Cheese – Say hello to the star of this sauce.
- Seasoning: Just a little salt and pepper is all you’ll need. If you want a little more “spice” to this sauce, you could add in 1/8 teaspoon of red pepper flakes.
How to Make the Flatbread Pizza
Think of this as a four stage recipe. Bake. Mix. Cook. Assemble. Trust me, it will be worth every bite in the end.
- Make Gorgonzola Sauce: To a medium bowl, add yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, fresh rosemary, gorgonzola, salt and pepper. Mix together so there aren’t any huge chunks of gorgonzola. Set aside.
- Prepare Grain Free Flatbread: Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a baking sheet or pizza pan with cooking oil. Set aside. In a large bowl, mix melted ghee, water, eggs and Bob’s Red Mill Grain Free Flatbread Mix. Once combined, let the mixture rest for 5 minutes. Spread flatbread mix out on prepared baking sheet until it forms a 10″ round pizza. Crimp the edges up to form a crust and then lightly brush with olive oil. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest.
- Cook Steak: Preheat oven to 415°F. Generously season both sides of filet mignon. Heat a large skillet to high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of ghee to the skillet and immediately add steak. Sear for 2 minutes per side. Then place skillet with filet in 415°F oven, uncovered, and bake for 5-6 minutes. (for medium rare which is 125-130°F or until you’re desired doneness) Remove from oven and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Sauce Flatbread: Spread Gorgonzola Sauce all over the baked flatbread crust. Leaving about an 1″ around the sides. Place in 400°F oven and bake for 5-7 minutes, until sauce is a little bubbly. Remove from oven.
- Build your Flatbread: Top with fresh arugula, sliced filet mignon and pickled onions. Optional: garnish with grated parmesan. Serve
Additional Topping Ideas:
When it comes to pizza, the toppings are endless! I went simple and classic here while trying to hit all the flavor notes of salty, bitter, sweet and sour. But if you’re a “load me up” kinda person here are some other toppings I think would go perfect with this steak flatbread pizza.
- Roasted Red Pepper
- Pickled Jalapeños
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Sautéd Mushrooms
- Balsamic Caramelized Onions
- Bacon or Prosciutto
- Roasted Garlic
What Goes with Homemade Flatbread Pizza?
Honestly, you don’t need to serve it with anything in my opinion. But if you really wanna get fancy and make a night of it – here are my top picks.
- When it comes to appetizers, you can’t go wrong with these Garlic Herb Roasted Shrimp or Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms.
- Every pizza needs a salad! At least that’s what the Italians say, and this Everyday Salad is delicious and super simple to whip up. Another great option is this Spinach Salad with Apple or this Simple Arugula & Spinach Salad.
- Need something to wash it all down? I’ve got to options for you – my Strawberry Sangria or an Epic Salty Dog Cocktail (or both if you want the variety haha)
- Last but not least. Dessert. I’m a chocolate girl through and through so this Peanut Butter Chocolate Mousse speaks to the core of who I am – or of course a Classic Vegan Chocolate Cake.
** This recipe is sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill. All opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that support Joyful Healthy Eats.”
An Epic Steak Flatbread Pizza topped with Gorgonzola Sauce, fresh arugula then piled high with filet mignon and pickled onions. This easy gluten free pizza recipe is must make, it’s perfect as a main dish or an appetizer.
Grain Free Flatbread:
- 1/4 cup ghee, melted
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1 bag of Bobs Red Mill Grain Flatbread Mix
Creamy Gorgonzola Yogurt Sauce:
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- 1/3 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- 6 oz. filet mignon
- salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 1/2 cup fresh arugula
- 1/4 cup pickled onions
- optional: grated parmesan
For the Creamy Gorgonzola Sauce:
- To a medium bowl, add yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, fresh rosemary, gorgonzola, salt and pepper. Mix together so there aren’t any huge chunks of gorgonzola. Set aside.
For the Grain Free Flatbread:
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray a baking sheet or pizza pan with cooking oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix melted ghee, water, eggs and Bob’s Red Mill Grain Free Flatbread Mix. Once combined, let the mixture rest for 5 minutes.
- Spread flatbread mix out on prepared baking sheet until it forms a 10″ round pizza. Crimp the edges up to form a crust and then lightly brush with olive oil.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest.
For the Steak:
- Preheat oven to 415°F.
- Generously season both sides of filet mignon.
- Heat a large skillet to high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of ghee to the skillet and immediately add steak. Sear for 2 minutes per side.
- Then place skillet with filet in 415°F oven, uncovered, and bake for 5-6 minutes. (for medium rare which is 125-130°F or until you’re desired doneness)
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5-10 minutes.
Build Flatbread Pizza:
- Spread Gorgonzola Sauce all over the baked flatbread crust. Leaving about an 1″ around the sides.
- Place in 400°F oven and bake for 5-7 minutes, until sauce is a little bubbly.
- Remove from oven. Top with fresh arugula, sliced filet mignon and pickled onions.
- Optional: garnish with grated parmesan.
Keywords: flatbread pizza, steak pizza recipe, flatbread pizza recipe, how to make a flatbread pizza, gorgonzola sauce recipe, gluten free pizza, homemade flatbread, gluten free flatbread