The ultimate BLT Sandwich topped off with an egg and spicy Harissa for one fantastic bite. This Open Faced BLT Sandwich is great for breakfast, lunch or dinner … you make the choice!
Guys … It’s August 1st! How did that happen!? I feel like I blinked and now we are headed into days of the internet turning into one big pumpkin fest!
For all things holy … please, pretty please hold off on making pumpkin recipes until late August or early September. I want to get my grill on and enjoy all the fresh fresh produce until my little guy is in school. Once school hits, then we’ll focus on the comfort food and pumpkin recipes. Mkay? Is that a deal!
Ok, now that we got that over with. Let’s talk Harissa shall we.
I’m kinda obsessed with the stuff and so is my son. I told him that we were having eggs with harissa for dinner and he literally started jumping around the kitchen saying … “mmm … yah mommy I like harissa!”
Harissa is a moroccan sauce that has a roasted red pepper base and then they had some heat to it to get you addicted. We stick to the mild version because I like my tastebuds to stay in tack. But for those who can brave it the spicy is pretty good too… just clears your sinuses out. 🙂
BLT’s are basically the bomb.com. Think about it.. mounds of bacon smushed in between two slices of bread, add a few veggies and then call it a sandwich. Sounds good to me! Right!?
It is good, just not the BEST for you. So as my way to lighten it up a little bit I make this BLT Sandwich open faced, got rid of the mayo, decreased the amount of bacon, and added the Harissa for a boost of flavor.
When in doubt, put on an egg on it!
Eggs just make everything better … and a runny yoke makes it even more irresistible. It’s basically like adding another sauce without adding another sauce. Genius!
This Open Faced BLT Sandwich with Harissa is definitely a winner. So many different flavors with only 7 ingredients! It’s perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner … I’ll let you decide. Personally I’m all about something like this for dinner, cuz breakfast for dinner is my thing! 🙂 Pancakes anyone?
Alright, I hope this makes your Monday better … and if not just think tonight we get to find out who JoJo picks on the Bachelorette! Woot Woot!
Bon Appetit sweet friends!Print
- 4 slices of bread
- 6 strips of applewood smoked bacon
- 4 thick slices of heirloom tomatoes
- 4–8 leaves of butter lettuce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 8 tablespoons harissa
- 1/4 cup diced green onions
- Heat a large cast iron skillet to medium high heat.
- Place strips of bacon in the pan. Cook bacon for 4-5 minutes per side so it’s nice and crispy. Remove and place bacon on a paper towel lined plate to let the grease drain.
- Toast the bread.
- Heat another large skillet to medium high heat.
- Place olive oil in the pan. Add eggs to the pan. Cook until desired temperature. (I cook mine for 1 1/2 minutes. Turn the stove off. Cover the eggs and let sit for 1 minute. It’s the perfect over easy egg. 🙂
- Assemble sandwich: place toast on plate, top with 1-2 leaves of lettuce, one tomato, 2 strips of bacon, one egg, 2 tablespoons of harissa, and green onions. Devour!
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT #JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!