One Pan Southwestern Chicken and Rice
Growing up in Wisconsin, the closest thing we had to “local food” unique to that region of the country was Polish or German food. So think perogies, polish sausage, goulashes, schnitzel.
Growing up my mom use to make this polish soup called Chanina, but she liked to call it “Chocolate Soup.” Sounds good right? Chocolate in a soup! Yes please. Until I found out what was really in it. It’s Duck Blood Soup with Duck meat and canned fruit cocktail mix. Absolutely disgusting! So needless to say, I wasn’t fond of “hitting up the local scene” in Wisconsin and still am scared of Polish food!
So when I moved down to Texas, I was pumped to hit up the local scene …. no more Chanina for me!
Now in my humble opinion Texas is known for two things. Great BBQ and some of the best Tex-Mex restaurants in the US. If I had to choose between the two I’d choose Tex-Mex every time. Which is why when partnering with Macy’s and Lagostina Cookware to create a unique regional recipe I chose Tex-Mex!
But really now, do you think I’d choose anything different! 🙂 hehe I bleed Tex-Mex!
On a side note, I don’t know about you, but I’m pretty picky about my pots and pans. I’ve actually had the same set since we were married, a little over 10 years. Those pans still rock it like they did when I first got them. When I partnered with Macy’s & Lagostina to write this post, I was interested to see how the non-stick casserole pan would perform. I’m more of a stainless or skillet girl.
One Pan Recipe
Well, I’m here to tell you it freakin rocked! Not only is this pan absolutely beautiful with a polished hammered stainless steel lid but it cooks, sears, and steams like a champ! I may be in love! This cookware has premium hard anodized construction with a 3.5mm base … which is just fancy talk for the pan evenly distributes heat! Woohoo!
Can I get an amen! No more uneven heating with certain parts of the pan hot and other parts cold! Nobody likes that, it’s just down right frustrating!
Plus you can throw this bad boy in the dishwasher for easy cleanup! Lagostina believes in their product so much that they give you a lifetime warranty. So if anything ever happens you can get a new one!
Ok, so that’s the deets on the pan. Here’s on it performed. This One Pan Southwestern Chicken and Rice recipe had just about every cooking method in it. Which is a great way to test out your cookware.
How to Make One Pan Southwestern Chicken and Rice
I started out with searing the chicken, and based on the pictures you can see that it got one nice sear! Then I sautéed the veggies. Now usually, I have issues with my veggies burning or cooking a little faster on one side of the pan than the other. Not this time. The veggies cooked super fast and were equally translucent within minutes. Then I added the rice in as well as the liquid to start the “steaming” process. I put the lid on, set my timer, and literally walked away to play Legos with Cason upstairs.
When I came back down I got nervous I was gonna have “spillage” over the pot. But all I saw was steam coming out the sides! When I pulled the top off I had perfectly cooked rice. It’s like a rice miracle ya’ll! Hola!!!
One of the things I love about this One Pan Southwestern Chicken and Rice dish is everything is cooked in one pan! Which means easy cleanup! If you have this pan, it makes life even easier cleanup because you can just throw it in the dishwasher. So LITERALLY no cleanup! It’s basically a mom’s dream!
The recipe itself is bursting with flavor. The chicken has a nice subtle seasoning blend on it and then each ingredient that’s thrown in the pan adds another layer of complexity to the dish. My family literally inhaled it after I was done taking photos! It’s a great easy dinner recipe that you’re family will fall in love with. I can’t wait to hear what you think!
Ok ok, I know I can’t go bragging on this pan and not give you a chance to get one for yourself. Soooo I’m giving one away! Woohoo.. Hip Hip Hurray! All you have to do is enter below! There is only one winner, so if you don’t get it, just know you can head over to Macy’s and buy one! Fingers Crossed you win though!
*** This recipe was sponsored by Macy’s. However, like always all opinions are 100% mine! Thank you for supporting the brands that support Joyful Healthy Eats. ***
One Pan Southwestern Chicken and Rice is an easy, healthy dinner recipe that’s made in one pan for easy cleanup. It’s the perfect family dinner that’s bursting with flavor!
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 lb. boneless skinlesss chicken cutlets
- 1 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups diced sweet onion
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 poblano pepper, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice & wild rice blend
- 14 oz. can diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 3 1/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 14 oz. can sweet corn (no salt or sugar added), drained
- 1/3 cup shredded mexican cheese
- garnish: fresh cilantro, diced green onions, lime wedges and sliced avocados
- In a small bowl, add cumin, smoked paprika, ancho chili powder, salt, and ground pepper. Stir.
- Pat chicken cutlets dry with a paper towel. Season both sides of the chicken with spice blend.
- Heat Lagostina Casserole Dish to medium high heat.
- Add grapeseed oil to pan and then the chicken. Cook each side of the chicken for 4-5 minutes. Remove chicken from the pan and place on a plate.
- Immediately add sweet onion, red pepper, and poblano pepper to the pan. Saute until onions are translucent. Approximately 2-3 minutes. Season with salt.
- Add garlic cloves and brown rice & wild rice blend to the pan. Saute for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Next add in the fire roasted tomatoes and chicken broth. Stir all the ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce the heat to simmer. Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the liquid is evaporated.
- Add the corn to the pan while rice is cooked. Stir to combine everything. Place chicken on top of the rice blend. Sprinkle with mexican cheese.
- Cover to melt the cheese, about 2 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro, green onions, lime wedges, and sliced avocado
- Serving Size: 1/2 chicken + 1 cup rice blend
- Calories: 433
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 1083 mg
- Fat: 11 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 57 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 27 g
- Cholesterol: 47 mg
Keywords: southwestern chicken, one pan chicken recipe, one pan chicken, one pan dinner, chicken and rice, chicken and rice recipe, easy chicken and rice recipe, easy chicken and rice, healthy chicken and rice recipe
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT #JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!