SOUTHWESTERN WEDGE SALAD with seasoned chicken, bacon, onion rings, charred corn a POBLANO DRESSING you’ll adore. This wedge salad only takes 30 minutes to make & is under 400 calories a serving!
A couple of weekends ago, Mike and I went to this event hosted by Thermador Appliances. We got invited by an interior designer we might use for the new house we are going to build.
She has been raving about Thermador for a while and really wanted me to check it out because she knows that the kitchen is my AREA and these appliances would rock my socks off. I was a little skeptical but gave her the benefit of the doubt.
The event was a cooking class. They brought in a chef and had us put aprons on and cook our meal, using the Thermador appliances. Pretty genius I know!
And totally the way to my heart! Basically they won me over. (head hanging low)
Thermador has this one oven called the Steam Oven. This thing is the bees nees ya’ll. It’s basically like a Sou Vide machine. You set the temperature and it cooks/steams whatever your making to the perfect temperature. It’s fool proof. It even reheats a medium rare steak back to medium rare. Kinda crazy huh!
Yeah, that’s what I thought! Which is why I’m totally in.
Anyways, enough about appliances. Let’s talk food shall we.
When I was at this event we had a Turmeric Jalapeno Dressing that was killer! So of course I had to try and make something similar because it was amazing!
In my opinion this Poblano Dressing is tied in the tasty department! The poblanos are raw when you add them to the food processor, but don’t fear! The heat is balanced out by the vinegar, honey, and fresh cilantro added in to the mix. It’s absolutely amazing! Drink worthy I would say.
I might just start making the dressing to have on hand to drizzle on fish, sandwiches, or a quick salad.
Ok, so we’ve established the dressing is killer!
Let’s move on to the rest of the components. I wanted to add as much flavor to this recipe as possible, because let’s be honest, you don’t really get much flavor from the iceberg lettuce.
One word ya’ll. BACON! This dish is centered around the bacon. But you only use 3 strips!
You cook the bacon first, then add the seasoned chicken to the skillet with all the bacon fat. Remove the chicken and then add the onions to that same skillet.
The flavors are seriously insane! I will totally be making this Southwestern Salad on repeat all summer long! And believe me, you will too after you try it!
This salad is a sonic boom of flavor and so easy to make! You’ll love it!
Bon Appetit friends and happy weekend!Print
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped poblanos
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- garlic clove
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3 strips of bacon, diced
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 red onion, sliced in rings
- 2 corn ears, shucked
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, quartered
- For the Poblano Dressing: to a food processor add fresh cilantro, poblano pepper, olive oil, lime juice, red wine vinegar, honey, cumin, onion powder, garlic clove, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth and completely blended. (there should be no chunks!) Set aside.
- In a small bowl add cubed chicken, 1 teaspoon of cumin, smoked paprika, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper. Toss to coat the chicken.
- Heat a skillet to medium high heat.
- Add bacon to the skillet and cook until crispy, about 4-5 minutes. Remove bacon from the pan with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- Add seasoned chicken to the pan (with the bacon fat), cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove chicken from the pan when all of the pieces are cooked through and there is no pink!
- Next, add the sliced onion rings to the skillet after chicken is removed. Saute until slightly charred. (about 4-5 minutes)
- Turn burners on to medium heat. Add corn directly to the burner. Cook on burners for 5-7 minutes, turning frequently until there is a slight char on all sides. (just so you don’t freak out, the corn will make popping noises, kinda like popcorn hehe) Slice the corn off the cob. Set aside.
- Assemble the wedge salad. Add one quarter of iceberg lettuce to plate, top with bacon, chicken, onion rings, charred corn kernels, cherry tomatoes, and drizzle with dressing.
- Serving Size: 1 wedge salad + dressing
- Calories: 397
- Sugar: 13 g
- Sodium: 639 mg
- Fat: 20 g
- Saturated Fat: 4 g
- Carbohydrates: 38 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 28 g
- Cholesterol: 71 mg
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT #JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!