Easy Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps – a lean high protein low carb weeknight dinner that’s full of flavor. Seasoned with a unique homemade taco seasoning, served on lettuce wraps with a Cilantro Lime Crema for the perfect finish!
Loving this easy taco recipe? Be sure to check out my Grilled Mahi Mahi Tacos with Chipotle Lime Crema as well! Taco nights have never been better.
Easy Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps
How many times each week do you make Tacos? I absolutely love tacos. I would have them everyday of the week for every meal if I could. For starters, they are super versatile. You can make with chicken, fish, beef, turkey, or go vegetarian. You can serve them on a flour tortilla, hard shell taco, corn tortilla or lettuce cup. The toppings are endless and flavors are unlimited. You can make them as healthy or unhealthy as you like. For breakfast or for dessert!
That my friends is why I love them so much and why they will never grow old! But the final kicker is how crazy simple they are to make!
PEOPLE if you’re looking for an easy meal to make during the week Tacos should be your answer! EVERY TIME! Today’s turkey tacos are a gift from heaven! These babies come together in less than 20 minutes, are high in protein and low carb. Trust me, you’re gonna want to have these in your back pocket if you need dinner in a hurry.
What you’ll need for these Turkey Tacos
Most of the ingredients for these tacos I guarantee you’ll already have in your pantry and the rest is fresh produce or meat. I serve them on lettuce wraps for a lighter low carb dinner, however you could serve it on a flour or corn tortilla as well. In fact, I usually do that for the kids because they give me the stink face when I put lettuce on there plate. Here’s what you’ll need:
Ground Turkey Tacos
- Ground Turkey – Use 93/7 ground turkey meat
- Spices – Just open up your spice drawer and get ready. I use cumin, smoked paprika, ancho chili powder, chili powder, cinnamon, salt and pepper.
- Oil – Turkey is a leaner protein so you’ll need to add “fat” to the pan when cooking. I always use avocado oil when I’m searing on the stove because it has a high cook point.
- Onion – You’ll use this in the ground turkey mixture, I like to use red onion because I feel it’s a little milder in flavor and sweeter.
- Garlic – Everything needs garlic, you’ll need minced in this recipe.
- Toppings – Do what you want here. I like to go classic with tomatoes, sliced red onion, avocado and cilantro.
- Lettuce – This is what we’ll use instead of the tortilla, my favorite is Butter or Boston lettuce.
Cilantro Lime Crema
- Yogurt – I use plain greek yogurt for this recipe. MAKE sure it’s Plain!
- Cilantro – Fresh cilantro will add a ton of herbaceous flavor and make the ground turkey pop.
- Lime – You’ll need the juice from 1 large lime, about 2 tablespoons for this crema. It brightens up the dish and thins out the yogurt.
- Spices – We’re going light on the spices here since we were so bold on the flavors with the meat. You’ll just need cumin, salt and pepper.
How to make Cilantro Lime Crema
Crema may sound fancy but it comes together in the amount of time it takes your to press pulse on the food processor. Here’s how to make it:
- Blend: In a food processor add, garlic clove, greek yogurt, cilantro, lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, salt and pepper to taste. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
How to Make Turkey Tacos
Unlike my Carne Asade Tacos or Chipotle Chicken Tacos, these Turkey Tacos don’t require a lot of prep or marinating. Just add everything to the pan, saute, season and voila. A healthy low carb, high protein dinner that’s done in 20 minutes!
- Saute Aromatics: Heat a large skillet to medium high heat. Add avocado oil and red onion to the pan. Saute until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add in garlic, saute for 30 seconds.
- Cook Turkey: Once aromatics are cooked add lean ground turkey to the skillet, cook until no longer pink. Approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Add your Taco Seasoning: Add in 1 1/2 tablespoons of cumin, smoked paprika, ancho chili powder, ground cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Stir until all the spices are mixed together.
- Assemble Tacos: Serve turkey mixture on top of butter lettuce with avocado, cherry tomatoes, fresh cilantro, and cilantro lime crema.
Can I freeze the meat?
Yes. Absolutely. Just allow the meat to cool completely and store in a freezer safe storage bag in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Favorite Taco Toppings
These Turkey Tacos are very classic on the toppings front. Tomato. Avocado. Onion. Cilantro. The one twist on these tacos is the Cilantro Lime Crema, think of it like a sour cream with a major punch of flavor. That being said, there are TONS more toppings that I’d recommend putting on top of these babies. Here are a few of our favorites.
- Guacamole – You can’t go wrong with guacamole. My motto is guacamole on “all the things.”
- Salsa – There are a couple options for salsa here. I love a good classic Pico de Gallo but my kids love my blender Restaurant Style Salsa or Avocado Salsa Verde.
- Pickled Jalapenos – For a pop of spice.
- Pickled Onions – These are my families absolute family. My daughter will straight up eat them plain. I am “required” to have a mason jar of them in the refrigerator at all times.
- Mango Salsa – I love a good mango salsa and it would go perfectly we this ground turkey taco meat.
More Taco Recipes you Need to Try:
- Epic Fish Tacos with Avocado Crema
- Steak Tacos with Radish Pineapple Salsa
- Southwestern Grilled Salmon Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
- 20 Minute BBQ Chicken Tacos
- Spicy Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Lime Slaw
- Healthy One Pan Cheesy Quinoa Taco Skillet
Easy Turkey Taco Lettuce Wraps – a lean high protein low carb weeknight dinner that’s full of flavor. Seasoned with a unique homemade spice blend a Cilantro Lime Crema for the perfect finish!
Ground Turkey Tacos
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1.5 lbs lean ground turkey (93/7)
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
Cilantro Lime Crema:
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 10–12 leaves of Butter Lettuce
- 2 tablespoons of fresh cilantro
- In a food processor add, garlic clove, greek yogurt, cilantro, lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, salt and pepper to taste. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet to medium high heat. Add avocado oil and red onion to the pan. Saute until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add in garlic, saute for 30 seconds.
- Once aromatics are cooked add lean ground turkey to the skillet, cook until no longer pink. Approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Add in 1 1/2 tablespoons of cumin, smoked paprika, ancho chili powder, ground cinnamon, salt, and pepper. Stir until all the spices are mixed together.
- Serve turkey mixture on top of butter lettuce with avocado, cherry tomatoes, fresh cilantro, and cilantro lime crema.
- Serving Size: 2 taco
- Calories: 172
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 307 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 17 g
- Cholesterol: 61 mg
Keywords: turkey tacos, lettuce wrap, turkey taco recipe