Soup is one of the stars of the fall but this Crock Pot Potato Corn Chowder with Roasted Poblanos is gonna take the cake! It’s full of bold flavors, easy to make, gluten free, dairy free, and has BACON!
So, do you know that I’m kinda obsessed with turning any recipe into something Tex-Mex?
If you don’t …. ummm… you might need to go back through my recipes! Most of them have a Tex-mex flare. Including the one you’re looking at today!
When it comes to soups, the longer it cooks the better! And what better way for a soup to cook than in a crock pot?
I mean, crock pots were MADE for melding flavors together over a long period of time!
A couple years ago a made a Southwestern Corn & Potato Chowder that kinda blended my Tortilla Soup with Corn Chowder and it’s freakin delicious! So I thought why not use the same Corn & Potato base and change things up a bit.
Can I be honest with you?
I think I like this one better! It’s been a while since I had the other one. But this one packs a little more heat than the other Southwestern Chowder and I’ve perfected my skill of layering flavors over the years. The flavors are different AND with this soup I decided to take a couple of cups out of the crock pot and then blended it with the coconut milk. This part was huge because it allowed the coconut milk to blend together with the broth instead of separate, truly creating a delicious chowder!
I could have gone for seconds or even thirds of this soup. But … unfortunately … and fortunately I had signed up to bless a family in our church with a meal because their lives are cray cray right now.
So after I finished making the soup, I scooped just enough out to photograph two bowls and then saved a little one for Cason .. but that was it. After Mike and I finished eating we both looked at each out and were ready for more. But … no mas! (that means more for those who don’t know Spanish 🙂 )
I guess I’ll just have to make this soup again. Which I am perfectly okay with it!
This soup has so many different things going on. It’s comforting, creamy, spicy, smoky, bacon-y … basically it’s gonna blow your mind! Then it’s topped with avocado, which makes everything better!
All in all … it’s one winner of a soup that you’re gonna want to cozy up with under a blanket while binge watching Netflix.
Now go get the ingredients. You won’t regret it!
Bon Appetit my friends and happy Friday!Print
- 8 ears of corn, corn removed (about 8–9 cups)
- 5 yukon potatoes, diced
- 6 strips of bacon, diced
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 2 large poblanos, roasted then diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups of vegetable stock
- 3 cups of water
- 1 cup of coconut milk (from a can)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Turn two stove burners on medium high. Place poblanos directly on burners. Roast until all sides of the poblano are charred, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove. Let sit to cool down.
- Using a knife gently remove the charred skin off the poblano, then dice the poblanos. Set aside.
- Preheat a large skillet to medium high heat.
- Add in bacon, cook for 5-7 minutes until slightly crispy. Remove the bacon from pan and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain the grease.
- Empty the bacon grease from the pan and place pan back on the burner. Immediately add red onions to pan and saute for 2-3 minutes until onions are translucent.
- To a large crock pot, add corn, yukon potatoes, bacon, red onions, poblanos, ground cumin, smoked paprika, salt, garlic cloves, vegetable stock, and water.
- Place cover on and cook on HIGH for 4 hours.
- Using a ladle, add 2 cups of the soup from the crock pot to a blender or food processor. Then add coconut milk to the blender. Turn on high and blend until mixture is smooth and coconut milk is incorporated.
- Add blended coconut milk mixture back to the crock pot along with fresh cilantro and lime juice. Stir and cook for 10 minutes.
- Serve! Top with avocado and cilantro.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT #JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!