Juicy and tender chicken wings are seasoned to spicy perfection and smothered in your favorite buffalo sauce. These Classic Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings will have you shamelessly licking your fingers!
Chicken Wings are my thang! Here are my top three favor
Crispy Buffalo Baked Chicken Wings
Crispy, spicy, warm and tender, buffalo chicken wings are a game day must-have. And they happen to be really easy to make! Any time you’re craving a zingy appetizer, these wings are guaranteed to satisfy.
You can use whichever buffalo sauce you like best for this recipe. In addition to the flavor that provides, the wings are coated in a heavenly blend of spices that will make your taste buds sing. You could even enjoy these chicken wings as a main dish by serving larger portions or doubling the recipe!
Why Bake Chicken Wings?
In my opinion, baking chicken wings is much better than frying them. First of all, you can hardly taste the difference! In fact, I find that baked wings get even crispier on the outside than fried ones do.
Not only that – baking uses a lot less oil than frying, making baked wings a much healthier option. You also don’t have to hang around by a hot stove! Once you try this recipe, you won’t touch your chicken wings to a frying pan ever again.
Shop This Recipe
You’ll appreciate the short and sweet list of ingredients required for this dish. Here’s what you’ll need:
For the Chicken Wings
- Chicken Wings: You’ll need 3 pounds of wings.
- Smoked Paprika: For a touch of spiciness.
- Garlic Powder: This provides depth of flavor.
- Chipotle Chili Powder: For a more intense heat. Feel free to use less or omit this entirely for milder wings.
- Ground Cinnamon: Half a teaspoon of cinnamon adds that lightly sweet warmth that makes buffalo chicken wings so irresistible.
- Canola Oil: Or vegetable oil.
For the Buffalo Sauce
- Buffalo Sauce: Use whichever brand you have on hand. We like Frank’s Original or Frank’s Buffalo.
- Coconut Oil: To help the sauce adhere to the chicken.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Wings
These baked buffalo wings come together with minimal effort. After you cook the chicken, you’ll want to broil it to get it nice and crispy. Yum!
Heat Oven: Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Combine Spices: Add the smoked paprika, garlic powder, chipotle chili powder and cinnamon to a small bowl and mix until combined.
Dry Chicken: Add the chicken wings to a large bowl and pat them dry.
Coat in Spices: Sprinkle the chicken with the spice blend and drizzle it with 1 tablespoon of canola oil. Toss to coat all the chicken.
Place on Lined Pan: Place your wings on a baking sheet lined with tin foil and a wire rack, as pictured. If you don’t have a wire rack, just line the pan with parchment paper.
Bake: Bake the chicken for 40 minutes, flipping it over after 20 minutes.
Broil: Turn the broiler on to HIGH. Once the oven is ready, place your wings under the broiler for 8-10 minutes, until browned.
Make Sauce: In the meantime, heat a medium-sized saucepan to medium heat. Add in the buffalo sauce and coconut oil, stirring until the coconut oil is melted and the sauce is warm, approximately 5-7 minutes.
Add to Wings: Remove your wings from the oven. Place them in a large bowl and pour the buffalo sauce over them. Use a pair of tongs to toss the wings until all of them are coated with the sauce.
Enjoy! Serve your buffalo chicken wings with ranch dressing and/or bleu cheese.
Tips for Success
This classic comfort food is easy to get just right. But in order to ensure your satisfaction, I have some helpful tips and tricks for the recipe.
- Season to Taste: Some may find these wings to be too spicy while others will crave even more heat. Feel free to adjust the amount of spices you use to suit your preference!
- Dry Chicken Well: Before you coat your chicken in the spice rub, be sure to dry it off very well. You can do this using paper towels. If you don’t dry off the wings, they won’t be able to get as crispy.
- Broil it Up! Broiling your chicken after baking it is SO worth the small amount of extra effort. It gets the outsides super crispy while allowing the insides to remain juicy and tender. Perfection!
There are plenty of things you can pair with buffalo chicken wings besides ranch and bleu cheese. Here are some delicious Ideas!
- Serve with Raw Veggies: There’s a reason why raw carrots and celery are often served with wings. The coolness of the veggies goes so well with spiciness of the chicken!
- Pair with Mac & Cheese: My Sriracha Macaroni and Cheese is the ultimate comfort-food pairing for these baked buffalo wings. Plus, it’s healthier than your average mac and cheese recipe!
- Serve with Salad: Try cutting up your chicken wings and serving them in this dreamy Buffalo Chicken Salad! If you’d like to do this, I suggest using boneless wings for easier dicing.
- Serve with Avocado Fries: These creamy and refreshing Air Fryer Avocado Fries have a crispy coating that’s made using gluten-free panko. They make a great partner for these spicy wings!
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Leftover wings should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Enjoy them within 3-4 days.
To reheat your wings, place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet in a single layer. Heat them in a 350°F oven for about 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the biggest wing reaches 165°F.
Can I Freeze Buffalo Chicken Wings?
Yes, baked wings freeze well for up to 4 months. Just make sure you keep them in a freezer-safe container. Thaw them out in the fridge the night before you plan to eat them and reheat them according to the guidelines above.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
Chicken can be served in countless ways. The following dishes are as yummy as it gets!
- Best Ever Balsamic Grilled Chicken Kabobs
- Baked Chicken Wings with Raspberry Hoisin Glaze
- Chicken Enchilada with Creamy Green Chili Sauce
Classic Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 30–35 wings 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Juicy and tender chicken wings are seasoned to spicy perfection and smothered in your favorite buffalo sauce – these Classic Baked Buffalo Chicken Wings will have you shamelessly licking your fingers!
For the Chicken Wings
- 3 lbs. chicken wings
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
For the Buffalo Sauce
- 12 oz. of buffalo sauce of your choice (I use Frank’s Original or Frank’s Buffalo
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a small bowl add smoked paprika, garlic powder, chipotle chili powder and cinnamon.
- Add chicken to a large bowl. Pat chicken dry.
- Sprinkle with spice blend and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of canola oil. Toss to coat all the chicken.
- Place chicken on a wire rack lined baking sheet. (if you don’t have a wire rack, just spray the baking sheet with cooking spray)
- Bake for 40 minutes, flipping the chicken after 20 minutes.
- Turn the Broiler on to HIGH.
- Place chicken under broiler for 8-10 minutes, until browned.
- In the meantime, heat a medium sauce pan to medium heat. Add in buffalo sauce and coconut oil, stir until coconut oil is melted and sauce is warm, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven. Place in a large bowl, pour the Buffalo sauce over the chicken wings. Using a pair of tongs, toss the wings to coat all of them with the sauce.
- Serving Size: 4 wings + sauce
- Calories: 340
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 4140 mg
- Fat: 23 g
- Saturated Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 25 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: buffalo chicken wings, how to make wings, crispy baked chicken wings
Hi Krista – These wings look delicious. Thanks for recommending a sauce – there are so many too choose from at the store.
Wowwww these looks ridiculously amazing! I am always so intimidated making wings at home but I just might give these a shot! Their soooo shiny! And yummy!
ohh… they are so easy Andrea! Do it! You will never go back and they taste so much fresher and better because YOU made them! 🙂
Girl these wings are EVERYTHING! Seriously EVERYTHING!
haha… thanks girl! These combined with your pomegranate ones would make me one happy chica! 🙂
I have 2 confessions. 1. I don’t like beer, Can I have vodka and wings? 🙂
2. I haven’t been to BWW! My hubby keeps wanting to go…and then we just don’t.
BUT I would rather make your baked wings in the comfort of my Pjs! Pinned!
haha.. I love you girl! I use to not like beer either, but then I tried Dosxx and fell in love its light and limey! I CANNOT believe you’ve never been to BWW, you need to go … listen to your husband. He goes to IHOP with you, return the favor! Thanks for the pin girl!
This is my 10 year-olds absolute favorite meal of all time. And your version looks amazing! I might have to get him to help me make these. 🙂 And I love that they are baked too.
I don’t blame him, buffalo wings rock!