Easy Chicken Enchilada Recipe with Creamy Green Chili Sauce
Can I tell you a secret!?
I love Mexican Food! Well, maybe its not that much of a secret.
I think it was fate that I moved down to Texas. I mean really, you don’t see good Mexican food in Wisconsin. Well, maybe El Fuentes downtown Milwaukee but thats about it.
Since living in Texas I have come to know and love Tex-Mex. There’s nothing like it! They have truly mastered the art down here and believe me I get LOTS of experience tasting it.
Chips and salsa are a necessity, margaritas a must, but enchiladas well… those are my favorite!
Usually my enchilada of choice is Chicken Enchiladas Suizas which is a creamy green salsa verde sauce made with tomatillos, it is absolutely delicious and way better than red sauce!
Today I am making something similar, its a creamy green sauce but its made with Green Chilis instead of tomatillos! The flavor from this sauce is amazing, a little bit of spice from the chilis, smokiness from the smoked paprika, depth of flavor from the chicken stock and a smooth creaminess from the greek yogurt.
The chicken enchilada mixture is plain and simple to let the sauce shine then rolled in whole wheat tortillas and topped with a small amount of cheese.
If you are a Mexican food lover like me then you will fall in love with this Chicken Enchilada Recipe. They are easy to make which is always a plus and the flavor is incredible.
It will most definitely become a family favorite!
This easy Chicken Enchilada with Creamy Green Chili Sauce is made with Greek Yogurt, smoked paprika and spicy green chilis! It’s an easy weeknight meal that beats going out to eat!
- 1 lb. chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup of monterrey jack cheese
- 8–10 whole wheat tortillas
Green Chili Sauce:
- 1 tablespoons of grape seed oil
- 1/2 cup of diced shallots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon of arrowroot
- 1 cup of low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup of plain green yogurt
- salt & pepper
- 7 oz. of diced green chili
- 1/2 cup of monterrey jack cheese
- toppings: avocado, diced tomato, cilantro, jalapano
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Heat a medium saucepan to medium high heat, add in grape seed oil and shallots. Cook until shallots are slightly browned, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add in garlic, 1/4 teaspoon of smoked paprika, and arrowroot. Stir until arrowroot is combined and sticking to the shallots, about 1-2 minutes.
- Next whisk in chicken broth. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Whisk in greek yogurt, green chilis, and salt & pepper let simmer for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl add cooked chicken, 1/2 cup of monterey jack cheese, and 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika. Toss to combine.
- Spray the bottom of a 13×9″ baking dish with PAM.
- Add 1/3 cup of chicken mixture to tortilla, roll it up and lay down (seam side down) in baking dish. Continue until all tortillas are used up.
- Cover enchiladas with creamy green chili sauce.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of monterey jack cheese on top.
- Bake in oven for 20 or until cheese is slightly browned.
- Serve! Garnish with diced tomatoes, avocados, cilantro, or jalapenos.
Keywords: Enchilada Sauce Recipe, easy chicken enchilada recipe, best chicken enchilada recipe, authentic chicken enchilada recipe, chili sauce recipe, homemade enchilada, homemade enchilada sauce, easy enchilada, easy enchilada sauce
IF YOU MAKE ONE OF THESE BURGER RECIPES, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT#JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!