Juicy BBQ Chicken Burgers topped with sweet Caramelized Onions and drizzled with savory BBQ Sauce. This Chicken Burger is a must try this summer!
Well, it’s finally here and I seriously couldn’t wait!
It’s BURGER WEEK here at Joyful Healthy Eats and do I have an awesome lineup for you!
As you know I’m kinda obsessed with all things grilling. If I could I would totally grill every day of the week. In fact one year on Christmas Eve, it was hardcore raining outside so I made my husband, brother, and dad pull the grill from the backyard to the front porch so we could grill some of my famous juicy Baby Back Ribs for dinner! Yeah, I’m a little crazy. But it was so worth it!
Memorial Day is at the end of this month, then the fun summer pool parties or backyard BBQ’s begin, before you know it 4th of July will be here and the list goes on. So, as a way to help you out and my willingness to eat burgers all week 🙂 I’m gonna give you a head start on planning so that when those parties come around you have a recipe that will knock your friends socks off!
Gone are the days of plain lettuce, tomato, and pickle burgers!
I polled ya’ll on Facebook a couple weeks ago about the kind of burger you were looking for and a majority of you said Chicken burgers. To be honest, I had never made Chicken Burgers before and never actually worked with ground chicken before. I’ve used ground lamb, ground turkey, ground beef, and even ground buffalo but chicken .. nope. I was racking my brain trying to think of another Burger recipe that would wow you but also be simple to make.
So hello to my little friend.
The BBQ Chicken Burger with Caramelized Onions!!! This recipe was inspired by a family favorite around our house, BBQ Chicken Pizza!
Since it was my first time cooking with ground chicken I was a little surprised by the texture of it. I thought it would be similar to ground turkey but as soon as I put my hands in the bowl to form the patties I noticed it almost felt like shaved chicken pieces. So just an FYI for those of you are new to the ground chicken world.:)
These burgers are topped with sweet caramelized onions, butter lettuce, juicy roma tomatoes, creamy avocado, and a sweet BBQ Sauce. They are a great change up if you looking to make a burger that is healthy, a little different, but still full of flavor.
You could even serve these Chicken Burgers minus the bun if you’re going gluten free and it would still be absolutely delicious!
- 1.25lbs. of ground chicken
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 egg
- salt & pepper
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 4 whole wheat buns
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 4 leafs of butter lettuce
- 1-2 roma tomatoes, sliced
- BBQ Sauce (I used Sweet Baby Rays Honey BBQ)
- Heat a medium skillet to medium high heat, add olive oil and sliced onions. Saute onions for 10 minutes, stirring on occasion. Add butter, salt, and pepper. Stir until butter is melted and soaked into onions, about 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix, ground chicken, egg, oregano, salt, and pepper. Using your hands mix until it is all combined. Form into four patties.
- Heat the grill to medium high heat, spray grates with PAM or rub with olive oil. Add chicken patties to the grill.
- Grill for 4 minutes per side, until cooked through.
- Remove from grill, let sit while you toast the buns.
- Add buns to grill, inside on the bun face down. Grill for 1 minute, remove from grill.
- Assemble burger: bottom bun, lettuce, 2 slices of tomato, chicken burger, 2-3 slices of avocado, 1-2 tablespoons of caramelized onions, 1-2 tablespoons of bbq sauce, top bun.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT#JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!