These Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings are smothered in a delicious homemade honey barbecue sauce. Everyone will want seconds of this sweet and savory appetizer, and it only takes 20 minutes to make!
Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings
The Super Bowl is coming up which means it’s time for “all the chicken wings” baby! Marinating your chicken is officially a thing of the past, thanks to the air fryer. These flavorful Honey BBQ Chicken Wings are beautifully tender beneath ultra crispy edges. Just how chicken wings should be! I’m drooling just thinking about it! All you need is 20 minutes and an appetite.
The sauce is seriously so easy to make. It’s sweet, spicy with notes of smokiness from the smoked paprika. You’re going to be obsessed! I love dipping these wings in a side of ranch or blue cheese to add a cool and creamy element. Perfection! This recipe is definitely game day worthy. The napkins you use will be well worth it! After all, is it really game day food if it doesn’t get a little messy?
This dish comes together with a pound of chicken wings, a handful of spices and a 4-ingredient sauce. It doesn’t get much simpler than that!
For the Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- Chicken Wings: Use bone-in or boneless; whichever you prefer.
- Avocado Oil: This healthy oil has a high smoke point that makes it perfect for air frying.
- Garlic Powder: Chicken wings need a hint of garlic flavor to come out tasting just right.
- Onion Powder: Just half a teaspoon!
- Smoked Paprika: Crank up the heat by subbing with cayenne pepper or chili powder.
- Salt: A pinch of salt will make sure your chicken stays juicy and tender on the inside.
- Black Pepper: To taste.
For the Honey BBQ Sauce
- Barbecue Sauce: I use Stubbs original BBQ, but feel free to go with your personal favorite brand.
- Honey: The sweetness from the honey really adds depth of flavor to this dish.
- Dijon Mustard: Use the brand you prefer.
- Sriracha Sauce: Wings simply aren’t the same without a little sriracha!
How to Make Honey BBQ Air Fryer Chicken Wings
I adore how easy these wings are to make. The spice rub before hand adds an extra layer of flavor. So don’t skip it! Just turn that air fryer on season up those wings, air fry them and smother them with the most epic bbq sauce that will ever touch your lips!
For the Wings
- Combine Spices: To a small bowl, add garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
- Season Chicken: Pat the chicken wings dry and place them in a large bowl. Season with avocado oil and spice rub. Toss to coat. Set aside.
- Preheat Air Fryer: Preheat your air fryer basket to 400°F for 2 minutes.
- Cook Wings: Once preheated, place the chicken wings on the air fryer basket, evenly spaced so they aren’t crowded. Cook them for 8 minutes. Flip them over and cook the other side for an additional 8 minutes (or until the wings are crispy and golden).
For the Sauce
- Combine & Heat Ingredients: While the air fryer is preheating, make the BBQ Sauce. To a small sauce pan, add BBQ sauce, honey, dijon mustard and sriracha. Stir and bring to a low simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add to Chicken Wings: Once the chicken wings are done, place them in a large bowl. Cover them with the honey BBQ sauce and toss to coat.
Tips for Success
I’ve made thousands of chicken wings over the years. So I feel like I know a thing or two. Wink. Wink. Here are my quick tips and tricks to make the best air fryer chicken wings that are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside.
- Dry the Wings: Don’t skip the step of patting dry your chicken wings. Less moisture makes for crispier skin.
- Don’t Crowd the Air Fryer: Make sure you’re not putting too many wings in your air fryer basket, or they won’t come out as crispy. They should be spaced enough so they’re not touching one another. Work in batches if need be.
- Cook Until Golden: The cook time for this recipe varies depending on the size of your air fryer and how big your wings are. Once they’re done, they’ll look nice and golden-brown.
- Add a Spice Rub. Flavor is key. So I love to add multiple layers of spice for depth of flavor in your wings. Trust me. You’ll notice a huge difference – here are some of my favorite Spice Rubs for Chicken.
These wings will make a fabulous starter for any meal, and there are tons of tasty things to serve alongside them. Here’s how I like to enjoy mine!
- Dip in Ranch: These sweet and spicy wings are basically begging to be dipped into a bowl of ranch or blue cheese!
- Pair with Raw Veggies: I always serve my wings with some fresh carrots and celery sticks. They go with the same dips and really work well in conjunction with the wings.
- Add Parmesan: Sprinkle some grated parmesan cheese over your wings for an easy garnish that also adds great flavor.
- Serve with Grilled Corn: When it’s game day, and especially the Super Bowl, you’ve gotta break out your best appetizers. Try pairing your wings with my Perfect Grilled Corn on the Cob!
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Store any leftover honey bbq chicken wings in an airtight container in the refrigerator. First off, Chicken wings are best when fresh. However, they will still taste wonderful the second time around. Just enjoy them within 4 days. Reheat your wings in the oven at 350F for about 5-8 minutes.
You can freeze cooked chicken wings for up to 6 weeks in a freezer-safe container. Then thaw frozen wings overnight in the fridge before reheating and serving.
More Healthy Air Fryer Recipes
The air fryer is an amazing cooking tool, and I have plenty more delicious recipes to prove it. Be sure to check them out next!
- This easy Air Fryer Salmon Recipe is so simple, yet sophisticated. It’s bound to be a huge hit!
- These Crispy Garlic Parmesan Brussels Sprouts are packed with savory flavors you won’t be able to resist. Plus, they come together in about 15 minutes.
These Crispy Air Fryer Chicken Wings are smothered in a delicious homemade honey barbecue sauce. Everyone will reach for this sweet and savory appetizer, and it only takes 20 minutes to make!
Air Fryer Chicken Wings
- 1 lb. chicken wings
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Honey BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup of your favorite bbq sauce (I used Stubbs original BBQ)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- To a small bowl add garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
- Pat chicken wings dry and place in a large bowl. Season with avocado oil and spice rub. Toss to coat. Set aside.
- Preheat air fryer basket to 400°F for 2 minutes.
- While air fryer is heating make BBQ Sauce. To a small sauce pan add BBQ sauce, honey, dijon mustard and sriracha. Stir and bring to a low simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place chicken wings on air fryer basket, evenly spaced so they aren’t crowded. Cook for 8 minutes. Flip then cook an additional 8 minutes of the other side. (or until chicken wings are crispy and golden)
- Once chicken wings are done place in a large bowl. Cover with Honey BBQ Sauce and toss to coat.
- Serve with carrots and celery sticks if desired.
- Serving Size: 2 wings
- Calories: 167
- Sugar: 11 g
- Sodium: 416 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 13 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: air fryer chicken wings, bbq chicken wings, bbq wings, honey bbq wings, air fryer wings, air fryer wings recipe, crispy chicken wings, how to make crispy chicken wings, best wings recipe