Healthy STRAWBERRY OATMEAL BARS filled with juicy strawberries and a buttery crumble topping for only 132 calories a serving! Serve it for breakfast, dessert, or eat it as a snack! Just make it!
It’s so crazy to think that 3 days ago we celebrated our one year anniversary as a church. I can still remember Mike dragging me to this “interest” meeting. I was annoyed. I had a church. A church that I loved, I didn’t want to go to another church.
I remember walking into the room and seeing lots of familiar faces, but learned quickly that those faces we just there to support Pastor John. They weren’t actually going to attend the new church.
As I sat there listening I was just frustrated and kinda ignoring what was going on. Cason, who was sitting next to me, was an easy distraction; and one that I gave all my attention too. When it got towards the end, Mike saw that I was distracted so he took Cason and walked him outside to play with the other kids.
And just like that, I had no excuse BUT to listen. Pastor John started talking about his vision. I sat there thinking, there is NO way I am going to this church. I told God, “Lord if you want us to go here I’m gonna need a verbal voice telling me to go. Otherwise I’m staying where I’m at! Period!”
Then Pastor John had us close our eyes, and ask the Lord. What He would have for us? If He was calling us to this new church? So I did it. Because I like to follow directions. But didn’t expect anything.
Literally two seconds later, I heard the Lord say. “Krista, I know you have been in a drought with community lately. This church is where you are going to find the community you have been longing for.”
Immediately tears came rushing down my face. I couldn’t control them. I tried to hide it, tried to hold it back but I seriously couldn’t stop! I felt ridiculous balling in the middle of all these people I didn’t know. Mike kept trying to ask me if I was ok, but I literally couldn’t speak through my crying. Then he just asked, “is it good tears?” I shook my head and he put his arm around me.
The Lord spoke directly to the place that had been hurting the most. The thing that Mike and I had been longing for for 4 years, community. Real Community!
I was all in. We signed up to be part of the launch team and haven’t looked back.
And you know what, we have the community we’ve been longing for! We have real and deep relationships with lots of the people at the church. We are serving again AND loving it! We feel engaged and not just people filling a seat.
When we went through the whole IVF process in November, Pastor John called us out. He had us stand up and with tears and boldness he prayed for us. Those people helped us walk through what could have been a dark time in our life, but knowing that we were supported, loved, and prayed for changed everything!
I know that we are right where we are suppose to be and I’m so glad that we heard and obeyed when we felt the Lords urging! Happy Anniversary Declaration Church, crazy that it’s already been 1 year!
Ok, now onto the yummy recipe that you’ve been staring at the past couple of minutes!
Strawberry Oatmeal Bars ya’ll .. is where it’s at!
I had a TON of strawberries left over and before they went bad I decided to create a recipe and use them in these bars. Holy Hannah are they good! These Strawberry Oatmeal Bars have an oatmeal bottom with a hint of cinnamon, topped with a juicy strawberry filling and then finished with a crumble topping!
These bars could be served for breakfast, snack or dessert! They are not overly sweet but perfectly satisfying! I hope you give them a try! I know you won’t regret it!
- Crust & Crumble:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1½ cups white whole wheat flour
- 1½ cups regular oats (not the instant kind)
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 3 cups of sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon white whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line the bottom of an 8×8 pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray for easy removal.
- To make the crust & crumble, to a large bowl add melted butter, white whole wheat flour, regular oats, honey, brown sugar, ground cinnamon and salt. Mix until just combined, mixture should be a little crumbly. Scoop out 1 cup of the mixture and set aside, that will be your crumble.
- Add the remaining mixture to the prepared pan. Spread the mixture out and using your fingers press into the bottom of the pan so the crust is in an even layer.
- To make the Strawberry Filling: to a small bowl add strawberries, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and white whole wheat flour. Toss to combine.
- Add the strawberry mixture on top of the crust and spread out evenly.
- Evenly sprinkle the crumble mixture over the top of the bars.
- Bake the bars for 50 minutes. Remove the bars from the pan and let sit for 10 minutes. Cut and serve.
- Serving Size: 1 small bar
- Calories: 132
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 11 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 20 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Cholesterol: 11 mg
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT #JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!