Here is one of the best ways to cook jasmine rice – in a pressure cooker! This Instant Pot Jasmine Rice is so quick and easy. Plus, the rice comes out perfectly every time. Just hit the button and you’re good to go.
Table of Contents
Perfect, Fluffy Jasmine Rice, Every Time
If cooking rice stresses you out, you’ve come to the right place. I can see how cooking rice can be a little stressful. One simple ingredient can be so finicky! Do you rinse it? Does the water need to be boiling? How do I make sure it doesn’t turn into mush?!
Finally, with this Instant Pot Jasmine Rice, there’s no more stress. You simply put the ingredients into the Instant Pot and hit a button. And that’s it! There’s no standing over a pot wondering if it’s going to be undercooked or overcooked.
The jasmine rice comes out perfect every time! This is why I LOVE my Instant Pot. They’re easy to use and produce consistent and delicious results.
How Is Jasmine Rice Different from Regular Rice?
Jasmine rice is slightly different than other rice. It’s white rice that’s thinner and usually longer than even most long-grain rice.
It’s also usually lighter and fluffier when cooked compared to regular rice. It’s not as likely to clump together.
What You’ll Need
You don’t need much other than an Instant Pot to make this recipe! Here are the ingredients. The rice-to-water ratio is detailed below in the recipe card.
- Jasmine Rice
- Water: You can also use chicken or vegetable broth for more flavor! (Keep in mind, that the recipe is no longer vegetarian if you use chicken broth.)
How to Cook Jasmine Rice in the Instant Pot
In just a few simple steps your pressure cooking will be on its way to cooking perfect jasmine rice!
Measure and rinse the rice. Use cold water and rinse the rice until the water runs clear.
Add the water and the rice to the Instant Pot. Then, secure the lid.
Next, cook the rice. Make sure the pressure is set to HIGH and cook for 5 minutes. You’ll also want to do a natural release afterward for 10 minutes.
Fluff and season the rice. Gently fluff the rice with a fork and season with salt if you’d like.
Why Do People Rinse Rice?
There are a few good reasons to rinse rice. First, when you rinse rice the starch is removed. Therefore, the rice doesn’t stick together when it’s cooked. It results in a fresh-feeling, fluffy rice dish!
Secondly, rinsing the rice also removes any debris that may have collected with the rice.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when making jasmine rice. These tips can also relate to cooking any type of rice!
- Add flavor by cooking with broth. You can use vegetable or chicken broth instead of water.
- Add seasonings. You can also add seasonings like turmeric, chicken boullion, or a bay leaf.
- Try brown jasmine rice. You can use brown jasmine rice, but you’ll need an extra half-cup water and a pressure-cook time of 20 minutes. Keep in mind that brown jasmine rice has a different texture and flavor.
Here are some of my favorite ways to serve jasmine rice. It’s so versatile and fits well with a lot of different cuisines.
- Use it as a base for stir frys. You can try this jasmine rice with my Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry or Vegetable Stir Fry.
- Try it with my Hunan dishes. It goes perfectly with Hunan Beef.
- Serve it with your favorite curry. I like to serve rice with my Easy Crockpot Chicken Curry.
- Make a simple vegetarian dinner. Sometimes, I like to have jasmine rice with my favorite vegetable sides like Roasted Broccoli and Grilled Vegetables.
How to Store and Reheat Leftover Jasmine Rice
It’s really easy to store and reheat jasmine rice. Just store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. Then be sure to use them within 5 days.
I like to reheat them on the stovetop and add a little extra water to reconstitute the rice. You can also cover a bowl with plastic wrap and reheat in the microwave.
Can I Freeze Cooked Rice?
Yes, you can freeze cooked jasmine rice. It’s best to store in freezer-friendly bags. And then make sure that you defrost the night before in the fridge prior to serving. You could also defrost the bag in a bowl with warm water.
Then just reheat as normal! This is a great way to make weeknight meals even easier.Print
Instant Pot Jasmine Rice only takes a few minutes to make! This recipe teaches you how to cook perfectly fluffy rice in a pressure cooker.
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 2 cups cold water
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon salt
- Rinse the Rice: Place rice in a strainer and run water over it. Using your hands, swirl the rice around while the water runs, continue to do this until the water is no longer milky but clear. (this removes any residue or starches on the rice and prevents it from being sticky)
- Add Ingredients to Instant Pot: Add rinsed jasmine rice and water to pot, secure the lid.
- Cook Rice: Once the lid is locked, turn to Pressure Cooker mode on HIGH for 3 minutes. Do a natural release for 10 minutes and then press the steam valve to release the rest.
- Season and Fluff: Remove the lid quickly and season the rice with salt. Using a fork, fluff the rice and serve.
- Serving Size: 1/3 cup
Keywords: instant pot rice, how to cook rice in an instant pot, jasmine rice instant pot