Fluffy Whole Wheat Pancakes made with a few secret ingredients, top with a Cinnamon Apple Compote that’s made with honey instead of brown sugar for the grand finale!
So I have a confession to make!
When I make pancakes I usually use a box mix …. gasp!!!!
For some reason, whenever I make pancakes from scratch they just don’t taste right. They are either to bland or the texture is off. Hence why there are NO pancake recipes on JHE. Well, today I am going to change that.
I put my big girl panties on, pulled out the flour and baking powder, turned on my griddle and got to mixing.
My idea of the perfect pancake is – one, they have to have a unique taste … something in the batter that when you take a bite makes you go “hmmm… what was that.” Two, they need to be light and fluffy. Three, visually they need to be appealing. If all three of those are in place, then I consider it to be one amazing pancake!
I haven’t been able to master those three points, which is why I haven’t posted any pancake recipes yet. Until now! I think I finally have it! The perfect recipe!
These Fluffy Whole Wheat Pancakes are exactly that, fluffy and light! They have a slight hint of cinnamon throughout every bite and then a surprising crunch from chopped pecans. Instead of sugar I used honey as the sweetener and it actually helps to ensure that the pancakes don’t dry out through the cooking process too. Woot woot! No body likes a dry pancake!
And because fall is in the air, an easy Cinnamon Apple Compote to put on top of these pancakes was a must! I used Honey Crisp apples because I’m obsessed with those apples but I also know they can be a little pricey. You could easily substitute them with Granny Smith if you’d prefer, but definitely don’t skimp on making the compote. It totally elevates these pancakes to the next level and goes perfectly with the cinnamon and pecans tucked in the pancake batter.
Top this delicious fall inspired short stack with raw honey or maple syrup for the win – then dive in!
No more boring pancakes for YOU and I a huge cooking win for ME.
I made my first successful pancake guys! Hip hip Hurray! 🙂
Bon Appetite my friends, hope to see these on your breakfast table this weekend!Print
Whole Wheat Pancakes:
- 1 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons raw honey
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
Apple Cinnamon Compote:
- 2 apples, peeled and thinly sliced (I used honeycrisp)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- Heat medium skillet to medium high heat, add 2 tablespoons of butter and apples. Stir until butter is melted.
- Add in honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt. Stir and saute apples until tender, about 4-5 minutes. Turn heat off and set aside.
- In a bowl, add white whole white flour, baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pecans. Mix together. Add in egg, milk, 1 1/2 tablespoons honey, and 2 tablespoons melted butter. Mix together until completely combined.
- Heat large skillet to medium high heat. Spray for cooking spray. Pour 1/2 cup of batter onto skillet for each pancake.
- Cook each side for 2-3 minutes, or until slightly browned.
- Repeat process until batter is gone.
- Top pancakes with cinnamon apple compote. Serve with honey or maple syrup.
- Serving Size: 2 pancakes
- Calories: 468
- Sugar: 27 g
- Sodium: 819 mg
- Fat: 22 g
- Carbohydrates: 59 g
- Fiber: 8 g
- Protein: 11 g
- Cholesterol: 90 mg
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT #JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!