1 Hour Garlic Herb Butter Roasted Chicken an easy healthy weeknight meal the family will love!
1 Hour Roasted Chicken slathered in a garlic herb butter that will make you swoon. This easy healthy roasted chicken recipe is guaranteed to be a new family favorite!
Can I just tell you that I was super excited to make today’s roasted chicken recipe? Does that sound weird? That I was excited to make chicken? It does to me, but I don’t care.
Wanna know why I was so excited? Well, first off it’s a recipe featuring my favorite poultry brand Just BARE Chicken. Which I know you guys have heard of before, because I’ve worked with them in the past.
I love how transparent Just BARE is and it’s commitment to raising the bar on quality of food. The chickens are raised with no antibiotics used EVER! (which is different than antibiotic free – meaning a chicken has never been administered antibiotics during it’s life cycle) Every package of Just BARE natural chicken features a unique traceability code. How cool is that? You can find it next to the manufacturer’s freshness date stamp after the words FAMILY FARM. All you have to do is enter the code (it may be 3 or 4 digits) in the Enter Code Here box on the right side of the website to find out the origins of your chicken. This code will give you the location of the family farmers who raised the chickens that were processed the day your package was made. I love this feature and think it’s so unique.
That is what you call raising the game and knowing exactly where your food comes from!
So what else am I excited about? Well, I learned a little something at a recent cooking class I attended and I’m using that method on the chicken today!
I know a lot of people have different opinions on brining versus not brining. In my personal opinion, just season your chicken people! At the cooking class I learned about something called a dry brine. Basically it is adding salt to the protein and letting it soak into the meat. It delivers a moist piece of protein every time.
In this particular case, with the whole chicken, I used my hands to separate the skin of the chicken from the meat itself. Therefore creating a little pocket to stuff with goodness. (see above)1 HOUR GARLIC HERB BUTTER ROASTED CHICKEN - an easy healthy meal that's guaranteed to please #adClick To Tweet
I gently continued to use my fingers to separate the skin from the meat all the way around the breast of the chicken as well as the legs. Once that was done, I added 1 1/2 teaspoons of sea salt right in that pocket. Make sure to really rub and spread that salt out all over the bird so you get an evenly seasoned chicken.
Once that was done, I created a garlic herb compound butter using fall herbs this time around – sage, tarragon and thyme. However, depending on the flavor you are going for or the time of year it is, you could easily change up those fresh herbs to something else! After the garlic herb butter is ready, I added half of it under the skin and made sure to spread it out. (TIP: you can put the butter under the skin and then move your hands on top of the skin to spread it out. It’s a little easier.)
Why put it under the skin? If you put it on top right away, it will burn the skin and you’ll end up with a black chicken instead of a nicely browned chicken. 🙂
This roasted chicken is done in 1 hour and will leave your house smelling heavenly. It’s a great dinner idea for the family, fancy enough for a holiday meal or you could make the chicken on a Sunday then shred it and enjoy the flavors all week long (that’s what I usually do.)
We all know protein is necessary for living a healthy and active lifestyle. Chicken is a great source of protein because it contains all of the essential amino acids. I choose Just BARE Chicken because the chickens are raised in humane conditions, never given antibiotics of any kind, and fed a nutrient-dense diet which leads to an extra tasty lean chicken!
Ok, now. Get to cookin’ folks! This recipe is just waiting to be made!
*** This recipe was sponsored by Just BARE Chicken. However, like always all opinions are 100% mine! Thank you for supporting the brands that support Joyful Healthy Eats. ***
- 1 Just BARE Natural Whole Chicken (3.5 pounds)
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon diced fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons diced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon diced fresh tarragon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 whole lemon, halved
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Position rack in the middle of the oven.
- Place the whole Just BARE chicken on a cutting board and pat it dry with paper towel. Using your hands gently separate skin from the meat on the breast, leg and thighs, being careful not to pop a hole through the skin. Using salt, season under the skin all over the bird. (This acts as a dry brine to keep moisture in the chicken.)
- Place a wire cooking rack on top of a baking sheet.
- Place the chicken breast-side up on wire rack or place in a skillet.
- In a small bowl, add butter, sage, thyme, tarragon and garlic. Using a fork or spoon mix together until all the ingredients are combined.
- Take half of the mixture and rub under the skin, just like you did with the salt. Be sure to get it all over.
- Place the lemon halves inside the chicken cavity. Using cooking twine, tie the legs together.
- Place chicken in the oven and roast for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, rub remaining butter mixture all over of the chicken. Place the chicken back into the oven and continue roasting for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Insert a thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh (the bottom of the chicken.) The chicken will be done when the thigh is 165 degrees F.
- Remove roasted chicken from oven. Let the chicken rest for at least 15 minutes before carving.
- Serve and devour!
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT #JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!
Want More Easy Chicken Recipes?