The Best Healing Homemade Chicken Soup Recipe guaranteed to boost your immune system! This chicken soup is filled with veggies, turmeric, herbs, chicken and lentils. Perfect for flu season or to fight off that cold!
Homemade Chicken Soup to Fight a Cold
After a week like last week, this healing Chicken Soup was definitely needed.
I can’t remember the last time I felt that bad or that a sickness went through our family that quickly. Once Maddie was diagnosed with RSV (on January 1st) the next day I was stuffed and started that same deep cough. A couple days later, Mike had it. Thankfully, as I write this our little man still is healthy. (I’ve been pumping him with probiotics, elderberry syrup and vitamins.)
Chicken Soup is good, but doesn’t scream comfort food to me. But today I’m giving myself a pat on the back for this one. Not only it is healthy, it’s filled with ingredients that have healing properties, super flavorful and dare I say comforting.
Don’t believe me? Try it.
The lentils thicken the soup up a bit to give it that comfort-y texture. 🙂
How to Make Chicken Soup at Home:
- Heat a large stock pot to medium high heat. Saute onions, garlic, celery and carrots in grape seed oil until translucent.
- Add in chicken breast and cover with chicken broth, fresh thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer for 15 minutes. Until the chicken is cooked.
- Shred the chicken and serve.
Is Chicken Soup Good for a Cold? Why is Chicken Soup Healing?
- There are healing properties in the onions, garlic and chicken that are said to reduce inflammation for nasal congestion and upper respiratory issues.
- Carrots produce vitamin A which helps create white blood cells which in turn help fight off infection.
- Turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties and is a very strong antioxidant. All great for when you have a cold.
- Ginger also helps with inflammation, can help reduce pain and helps with nausea.
The turmeric in this soup, while small, adds a punch. Not only in the color with the golden hue it leaves but also with the healing properties it has. All the flavors combined in this soup make it….
“Not you’re momma chicken soup recipe”
This baby is amped up .. it’s like the Superhero of Chicken Soup.
And I can’t wait for you to try it! Bon Appetit friends and happy Monday!
The Best Healing Chicken Soup Recipe guaranteed to boost your immune system! This chicken soup is filled with veggies, turmeric, herbs, chicken and lentils. Perfect for flu season or to fight off that cold!
- 1 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 5 large carrots, sliced
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 9 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups kale, torn into smaller pieces
- juice of one lemon
- Heat a large dutch oven to medium high heat.
- Add grape seed oil and onion. Saute for 2-3 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- Next, add in garlic cloves, fresh ginger, carrots, celery and turmeric. Saute for 3 minutes, stirring the entire time.
- Then add in lentils, stir to mix everything together and place the raw chicken breast on top of the veggies. Pour chicken broth over top and add in fresh thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, until chicken in no longer pink.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove from from the pot. Shred using a fork and add chicken back to the pot along with torn kale.
- Simmer soup for another 5 minutes. Remove stems of thyme and rosemary from the soup. Finish with juice from one lemon.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 223
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 320 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 24 g
- Cholesterol: 50 mg
Keywords: Chicken Soup, Healing Chicken Soup, Chicken Soup Recipe, Healthy Chicken Recipes, Gluten Free Recipes, Paleo, Easy Soup Recipes, Healing Soup, homemade chicken soup, easy chicken soup
Want More Healthy Soup Recipes?