This easy Homemade Chicken Soup recipe is guaranteed to boost your immune system! A healing chicken soup filled with veggies, turmeric, herbs, chicken and lentils. It’s the best chicken soup for flu season or to fight off that cold!
- 1 tablespoons grape seed oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 5 large carrots, sliced
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 9 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups kale, torn into smaller pieces
- juice of one lemon
- Heat a large dutch oven to medium high heat.
- Add grape seed oil and onion. Saute for 2-3 minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- Next, add in garlic cloves, fresh ginger, carrots, celery and turmeric. Saute for 3 minutes, stirring the entire time.
- Then add in lentils, stir to mix everything together and place the raw chicken breast on top of the veggies. Pour chicken broth over top and add in fresh thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, until chicken in no longer pink.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove from from the pot. Shred using a fork and add chicken back to the pot along with torn kale.
- Simmer soup for another 5 minutes. Remove stems of thyme and rosemary from the soup. Finish with juice from one lemon.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 223
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 320 mg
- Fat: 5 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 24 g
- Cholesterol: 50 mg
Keywords: homemade chicken soup, best chicken soup recipe, soup for colds, healthy chicken soup