- 2 medium heads cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 bulbs of fennel, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon chili infused olive oil
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 strips smoked bacon, diced
- optional: top with additional drizzle of chili oil
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Add cauliflower and fennel to baking sheet, season with olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Place in oven and roast for 15-20 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Heat a medium skillet to medium high heat, add bacon and cook until crispy. Approximately 5-7 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool on a paper towel lined plate.
- Heat a dutch oven or large saucepan to medium high heat. Add chili oil and red onion. Saute until translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic to dutch oven, saute for 30 seconds. Add roasted cauliflower, fennel, fresh thyme, and vegetable broth.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add in milk, salt, and pepper to taste. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Blend up soup using an immersion blender or slowing ladling soup into a blender and puree in shifts.
- Serve soup with crispy bacon and top with a drizzle of chili oil and fresh thyme.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cup
- Calories: 156
- Sugar: 9 g
- Sodium: 435 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 17 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 8 g
- Cholesterol: 11 mg