A take on the viral grinder sandwich, this Italian Grinder Salad is made with thinly sliced cold-cuts, shredded provolone, red onion, pepperoncini, tomatoes and all tossed with that classic grinder dressing! It’s the ultimate 15-minute salad for for lunch or an Italian themed dinner night.
Table of Contents
Easy Grinder Salad Recipe
Inspired by a popular recipe, this easy Italian grinder salad captures the best of both worlds: a hearty sandwich filled with cold-cuts and a refreshing salad. Served with a creamy homemade dressing, it’s way better than anything you can get at a deli and restaurant combined.
Between the salami, capricola, and provolone, every bite has the perfect amount of savoriness balanced out by sweet beefsteak tomatoes. Spicy red onions and pepperoncini peppers also add crunch and the perfect amount of heat. Last but not least, tender turkey adds some protein to make the salad heartier.
Tossed in a mayo-olive oil dressing with traditional herbs like basil and oregano, every bite is like a mini trip to Italy in your mouth. Thankfully, you won’t have to leave your kitchen because this glorious symphony of flavors comes together in only 15 minutes.
Why You’ll Love This TikTok Grinder Salad
Don’t be surprised if everyone suddenly starts asking for seconds of this Italian grinder salad.
- Easy. All you need to do is whisk the dressing and toss the salad. Any home cook can pull it off.
- Trendy. Impress your friends and family by serving this trending salad recipe that’s all over the internet.
- Healthy. Drizzled with a homemade dressing, this salad is free from any processed sugars and salt found in store-bought dressings.
- Prep-friendly. Toss the salad and prepare the dressing in advance so all you have to do is pack it for lunch or serve it for dinner during the week.
What Is An Italian Grinder?
An Italian grinder is an Italian-inspired sandwich filled with salami, provolone, and classic veggies like lettuce, tomato, and onion. For more flavor, other ingredients like pepperoni, prosciutto, roasted turkey, and peppers can be added. Once ready, it’s popped into the oven until the bread is toasty and the cheese is melty. This is the salad-version of an Italian grinder, using the same ingredients (minus the bread) and a simple dressing.
This sub-inspired salad is packed with Italian ingredients for a combination of fresh veggies and savory cold-cuts. Check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact amounts.
For the Salad
- Green leaf lettuce – Iceberg is best for this.
- Beef steak tomato – You can also use heirloom tomatoes.
- Red onion – White onion is a great swap.
- Pepperoncini peppers – Look for them in deli stores. They’re usually canned or jarred.
- Oven roasted turkey – Grilled turkey works too.
- Capricola – This is an Italian cold-cut similar to prosciutto.
- Provolone – This is the best kind but feel free to use any melty cheese.
For the Dressing
- Mayo – Feel free to use full-fat or low-fat.
- Olive oil – Avocado oil is okay too.
- Red wine vinegar – Don’t use vinegar for this.
- Dried oregano
- Dried basil
- Parmesan – Use the fresh stuff.
- Garlic – No garlic powder please.
- Red pepper flakes
- Black pepper
How To Make An Italian Grinder Salad
Whisk and toss… That’s it! Check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for more detailed instructions.
- Make the dressing. Whisk all of the dressing ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Set it aside.
- Toss the salad. Mix all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Toss to combine. Serve it with the dressing on the side or drizzle it right in. Enjoy!
Recipe Tips & Variations
Feel free to try out these tips and variations with any version of this TikTok Grinder Salad:
- Swap the cold cuts. No worries if you’re out of salami or can’t find capricola. Swap them for pepperoni and prosciutto instead.
- Use rotisserie chicken. Add your leftover rotisserie chicken to this salad for a heartier side. You can even turn it into the main dish if you add enough of it.
- Add nuts and seeds. Sprinkling in 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts, almonds, or sunflower seeds will give the salad some crunch.
- Use store-bought. When you don’t have time to make the dressing, use your favorite store-bought vinaigrette.
- Add croutons. To substitute the bread in a traditional grinder, add a handful of croutons to your salad.
This grinder salad recipe is perfect with all of your Italian-inspired dishes like Eggplant Parmesan with Italian Sausage Sauce or Tomato Pappardelle. A bowl of Minestrone Soup can also keep things extra classic. If you’re not going for an Italian-night, then serve it as a side for your favorite steak like my Cast Iron Cowboy Steak.
Can This Italian Grinder Salad Be Prepared In Advance?
Absolutely! Toss the salad without the tomatoes up to 3 days in advance. Add the tomatoes right before serving so that they don’t release moisture. As for the dressing, feel free to prepare it up to 5 days in advance.
Refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. If possible, store the salad and dressing separately so that veggies stay nice and crisp. Keep it away from direct heat and sunlight when on the counter for serving. Enjoy it straight out of the fridge.
More Easy Salad Recipes
- Best Grilled Mexican Street Corn Salad (Esquites)
- Easy Greek Chicken Mason Jar Salad
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Avocado Corn Salad
- Grilled Sweet Potato Salad
This easy Italian grinder salad recipe with homemade dressing is a trending 15-minute side that’ll be a hit at the dinner table.
- 1 large head of green leaf lettuce, shredded
- 1 large vine ripe or beef steak tomato, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoncini peppers
- 3 oz. salami, thinly sliced
- 4 oz. oven roasted turkey, thinly sliced
- 2 oz. Capricola, thinly sliced
- 3 oz. provolone, shredded
Grinder Salad Dressing:
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Make Dressing: Add mayo, olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, basil, parmesan, minced garlic, salt, red pepper flakes and black pepper to a small bowl and whisk together until smooth and combined. Set aside.
- Assemble Salad: To a large bowl or plate add green leaf lettuce, red onion, pepperoncini, salami, turkey, capricola and provolone. Pour dressing over top and using tongs toss the salad until everything is coated.
- Garnish: Top the salad with the sliced tomatoes and serve!
Keywords: Italian grinder salad, grinder salad recipe, TikTok Grinder Salad