This Greek Chicken Salad Recipe is packed in mason jars and makes the perfect meal prep lunch for the week! Each mason jar salad is filled with cucumber, tomato, kalamata olives, feta, chicken and a light greek vinaigrette for the ultimate bite!
My Favorite Greek Chicken Salad Recipe
It is officially SALAD WEEK here are Joyful Healthy Eats and I couldn’t be more excited. This week is packed with flavor – from Thai to Greek you’re going to love every single bite! Plus, now you have NO excuse to NOT bring a healthy delicious lunch to work. I made FOUR of these mason jar salads in 15 minutes!
I know it might sound silly coming from a healthy food blogger, but I LOVE salads. I craved them both of my pregnancies and have one almost every single day. I’m a firm believer that if you “doctor” them up the right way, you will never get bored of eating salad! Let’s get started shall we!
What is Greek Salad Made Of?
Greek Salad is traditionally made with tomato, sliced cucumber, red onion, crumbled feta cheese and then olives (usually kalamata olives). Then topped with a light olive oil based vinaigrette that is lots of oregano in it. This light veggie forward based salad is a staple with most meals and great for digestion!
Is Greek Salad Healthy?
Yes, it is filled with Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Iron, Potassium and loaded with antioxidants. It is a great salad to have on hand and serve with your main dish.
What is Greek Salad Dressing Made Of?
A traditional greek salad dressing is made out of red wine vinegar, lemon juice, oregano, dijon mustard, salt and pepper. Then olive oil is slowly added and whisked in together to create a light smooth tangy herbaceous dressing the greeks are famous for.
What Size Mason Jar is Best for Salads?
I like to use the 32 oz or quart size mason jars. I find they are the best for packing and gives you a good size salad, plus ingredients don’t get stuck on the way out! You can even buy them in bulk on amazon!
How to Layer a Mason Jar Salad
Believe it or not, there is a philosophy to packing mason jar salads so that they don’t get soggy or loose crispness. Here’s the best way to pack it from bottom to top.
- Dressing – The first layer needs to be dressing so that it doesn’t get the rest of the ingredients soggy
- Non-Absorbent (Hard) Vegetables – So these items will be in contact with the dressing you want to add veggies or fruits that will not get soggy. Think carrots, peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, cauliflower or jicama.
- Absorbent Vegetables – These are items like corn, tomatoes, fruits, beets, peas or onion.
- Protein – This next layer is for your protein – so tuna, shrimp, chicken, ground beef, etc.
- Greens – Fill the jar to the top with your greens. I like to use either romaine lettuce or baby spinach.
- Nuts or Cheese – This last layer is typically your salad toppings, so crumbled cheese, nuts, seeds or croutons.
How Long Does Mason Jar Salad Last?
If packed properly and stored in an air tight mason jar, salads should last for 3-5 days in the refrigerator for ultimate freshness.
Everything about this Greek Chicken Salad will have you swooning. It’s light, flavorful, high and protein and crazy easy to make! I love that all I have to do is just pour it out into a bowl, give it a toss with my fork and I’m ready to go! I cannot wait to see what you think. If you make it, be sure to tag me (@joyfulhealthyeats) on Instagram and use the tag #jhesaladweek. I’m going to feature the people that are making stuff! It’s fun when we are all in it together!
Bon Appetit friends!
More Salad Recipes:
- The Ultimate Grilled Peach Chicken Salad
- Detox Strawberry Chicken Salad with Honey Dijon Dressing
- 15 Minute Avocado Caprese Chicken Salad with Balsamic Dressing
- Southwest Chicken Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing
- Chicken Fajita Salad with Chimichurri Dressing
This quick Greek Chicken Salad recipe packed in mason jars makes the perfect meal prep lunch for the week! Each mason jar salad is filled with cucumber, tomato, kalamata olives, feta, chicken and a light greek vinaigrette for the ultimate bite!
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt to taste
Greek Chicken Mason Jar Salad:
- 4 Quart Size Mason Jars, with lid
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (I use just the white meat)
- 2 cups diced cucumber
- 1 1/3 cup sliced cherry tomato
- 1 cup diced yellow pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup sliced kalamata olives
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 4 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- For the Greek Dressing, to a small bowl add minced garlic, oregano, basil, mustard, red wine vinegar and salt. Whisk to mix everything together. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Set aside.
- Assemble the Mason Jar Salads: line up your mason jars. To each jar add 3 tablespoons of the dressing, 1/2 cup diced cucumber, 1/3 cup cherry tomatoes, 1/4 cup yellow pepper, 2 tablespoons of chopped red onion, 2 tablespoons of kalamata olives, 1/2 cup shredded chicken, 1 1/2 cup chopped romaine and 1 tablespoon feta cheese.
- Put the lid on and store in the refrigerator.
- Serving Size: 1 mason jar salad
- Calories: 497
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 938 mg
- Fat: 32 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 21 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 40 g
- Cholesterol: 119 mg
Keywords: greek chicken recipe, greek salad with chicken, mason jar salad recipes, how to make a mason jar salad, meal prep ideas
DON’T MISS A RECIPE ->