This Creamy Bacon Roasted Butternut Squash Soup is by far the best soup you’ll have all fall! Creamy, full of rich flavor, 143 calories a serving, and only 45 minutes to make! Where’s the spoon!?
When I was pregnant with my little man all I craved was Soup and salad! And I mean … almost everyday I would leave the church, where I worked, head over to the grocery story and grab a Chili or drive to one of my favorite restaurants to get their Carrot Ginger Soup!
I was addicted, no doubt about it. But it’s ok, I was pregnant so you give in to those cravings :). I was just thankful that I was craving soup and salad rather than brownies. (because I already have no self control when it comes to brownies)
Something about that warm soup settled my stomach and gave me comfort. It was like the soup was telling me, everything’s gonna be ok! 🙂
Soup still does that for me! I do have a few favorites though, or repeat offenders in the fall months.
I was surprised to look back and see that I don’t have a Butternut Squash Soup recipe on my site, I have a Butternut Squash Alfredo recipe but no soup. So I figured we needed to change that! STAT!
Today’s recipe is an ode to my love of soup and how it can turn even the worst of days around as soon as you take the first slurp!
Butternut Squash is the main vegetable I think of when I think of fall, it’s sweet, savory, and loaded with nutrients.
When you roast butternut squash it enhances the flavors even more! But when you add bacon to it it turns into something magical!
Not only is this recipe incredibly luscious, but it only takes 45 minutes to make. The kicker and what makes this soup so rich in flavor is the roasted vegetables and the rich spices added to it to warm up your belly and leave you wanting another bite.
Well, that … and there’s bacon! 🙂 (can you tell I’m all about the bacon… hehe)
This soup can easily be made over the weekend and enjoyed all week long!
If you want to amp it up a smidgen, we like to add a drizzle of chili oil on top to give it a bit of a kick. It is absolutely delicious!
Just make sure you have a loaf of crunchy bread to soak up all that soup!
I guarantee this Creamy Bacon Roasted Butternut Squash Soup will be a favorite this fall! Who knows, it may even make an appearance on your Thanksgiving dinner table!
Bon Appetit sweet friends and happy weekend!Print
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1” cubes
- 3 yukon potatoes, cut into 1” cubes
- 1 red pepper, seeds removed cut into 1” cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 5 slices of bacon, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons diced fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup diced chives
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Add butternut squash, potato, and red pepper to a large bowl. Season with olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Spread out on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat a large dutch oven to medium high heat.
- Add bacon and cook until crispy. (about 5-6 minutes)
- Remove bacon from the pan using a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel lined plate and set aside.. Leave the remaining bacon grease in the dutch oven and add the onions to it. Saute onions until translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add garlic to pan and saute for 30 seconds. Add in the fresh sage, fresh thyme, salt, pepper, and ground nutmeg. Saute for 30 seconds and add in the vegetable broth. Stir to combine.
- At this point the vegetables in the oven should be done. Add those vegetables to the dutch oven. Stir and cover. Let cook for 10 minutes.
- Add soup mixture to a blender and blend until smooth, or use an immersion blender.
- Serve, top with fresh herbs, crispy bacon, and chopped chives.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 143
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 530 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 21 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Cholesterol: 6 mg
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT #JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!