Chicken Enchiladas smothered in a Poblano Cream Sauce – the ultimate healthy Taco Tuesday meal!
These easy Chicken Enchiladas smothered in a Poblano Cream Sauce will quickly become a family favorite. If you’re looking for a flavorful recipe these Chicken Enchiladas are it – they’re the ultimate healthy Taco Tuesday meal!
Well I have just spent the last couple hours trying to figure out childcare.
Whew. I’m exhausted.
In the summer time we have a sweet girl that comes back from college and watches the kiddos for me two times a week. But she is about to head out for school again and this (actually yesterday) was her last day.
I’m realizing that it would be helpful to have someone at the house helping me with Maddie while Cason is in school. I want to be able to be present when Cason comes home and on the off days when I don’t have to work.
Honestly, I’m not sure how I did it when I first started blogging. Cason was 1 year old and at that time I was still trying to figure everything out as well as promoting my blog posts on social media accounts. The social media part in and of itself is one exhausting job. Clearly I probably have PTSD from that time because I don’t remember how or what I did. All I know, is I got through it. Now, I have someone else that does all that social media stuff and she is a huge blessing. 🙂 Praise the Lord!
All that to say. I know that I feel like a better mom and a successful business owner when I have dedicated time to each aspect. Instead of “kinda” being present for one and then “kinda” being present for the other.
After putting feelers out everywhere locally with no success, I finally gave in to care.com. I asked a couple of my blog friends and all of them highly recommended it and said that they found their full time nanny/babysitter on that site.
So here we. Interviews are in process.
I think I might ask if they’re willing to wash dishes too. haha.. What do you think?
Moving on to today’s recipe. These Chicken Enchiladas. The enchilada part is super easy. But I will say, you need to do some prep on this one. Mainly the poblano cream sauce, but it’s made from scratch y’all! (fist bump) So it’s definitely worth the extra time! If you make the sauce earlier in the week you could have these on the table in 30 minutes. Otherwise you’re gonna need about an hour because the sauce itself takes about 30 minutes.
But it’s well worth it. The poblanos are roasted in the oven with some onion and garlic then put into a food processor along with fresh cilantro, cumin, some honey (to calm down the heat from the poblanos) and then of course yogurt for the “creamy” part.
I know y’all are gonna love this sauce. Once it’s poured over the enchiladas and seeps into the crevices it makes this dish absolutely divine. There is so much flavor packed into every bite! I topped mine with charred corn and some radish, but I left the toppings open to you! Because I know some people like it plain and others like to load theirs up, so style them up however you want.
On top of being ridiculously delicious they are also under 300 calories a serving! Woot Woot!
Once you make these, make sure you try my meatless Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas too – they’re incredible!
Bon Appetit friends!Print
These Chicken Enchiladas smothered in a Poblano Cream Sauce will quickly become a family favorite. If you’re looking for a flavorful recipe these Chicken Enchiladas are it – they’re the ultimate healthy Taco Tuesday meal!
Poblano Cream Sauce:
- 3 poblanos, halved
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & pepper to season
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 10 corn tortillas
- 2 1/2 cups shredded chicken breast (I used rotisserie chicken)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup shredded monterrey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line and baking sheet or baking dish with parchment paper.
- Place poblanos, onions and garlic in a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from the oven and place in a food processor or blender. Also add water, cilantro, plain greek yogurt, honey and cumin. Blend until smooth.
- Reduce the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a 13×9″ baking dish spread out 1/4 cup of the poblano cream sauce on the bottom of the pan.
- To a large bowl add shredded chicken, 1 teaspoon of cumin and 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika. Mix the spices with the chicken using a fork.
- Wrap corn tortillas in a wet paper towel and place in microwave for 2-3 minutes. (the tortillas are my pliable when they are warm)
- Add 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture to the end of the warmed corn tortilla. Gently roll the tortilla and place in prepared baking dish seam side down. Repeat process with the remaining tortillas.
- Pour the remaining poblano cream sauce over the top. Cover with tin foil.
- Place enchiladas in oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove enchiladas from the oven and top with cheese. Bake another 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and gooey.
- Garnish with desired toppings. (I used charred corn, radishes, tomatoes, avocado, and jalapeno)
- Serving Size: 2 enchiladas
- Calories: 236
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 271 mg
- Fat: 7 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 31 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 15 g
- Cholesterol: 26 mg
Keywords: rotisserie chicken recipe, chicken enchiladas, gluten free recipes, simple chicken recipes, baked chicken recipes, poblano cream sauce, easy dinner ideas, mexican recipes
Want More Tex-Mex Recipes?