Butternut Squash Chicken Flatbread Pizza with balsamic caramelized onions and goat cheese. Your pizza night just got epic!
Butternut Squash Chicken Flatbread Pizza with balsamic caramelized onions and goat cheese. An easy pizza recipe that comes together in less than 30 minutes, or serve this as an appetizer at your next holiday party!
Guys the past couple of nights all I’ve been doing is searching Pinterest and magazines trying to think of new fun cocktail recipes for the fall. Can I just say…
It’s so hard.
All I want right now is a smooth cocktail to make my tummy have bubbles. But I can’t.
It’s so funny how our minds react to being told we “can’t do something.”
I have always been strong headed and very strong willed. My dad use to call me “ice” when I was a teenager. And my mom said, when I was little she use to ask me to do something and I would just look at her and say “NO.” I know when your pregnant it’s a whole another story. When they tell you NOT to do something you probably should listen. They are doctors after all.
Let’s just say that after all this cocktail research, the first thing I want to have after baby girl comes is a big margarita in my hospital room! 🙂
Ok, rant over. Now onto more important things. Mainly this Butternut Squash Chicken Flatbread Pizza.
Guys. When I first told Mike about my idea for this dish, he had this look on his face like. “Um babe… butternut squash on pizza.. yeah that just sounds weird.” I, of course completely disagreed so I planned on making it while he was out of town.
That just meant more pizza for me, which I was ok with. After all, I am eating for two. Right? hehe
The first part to this gorgeous flatbread is caramelizing some onions till the natural sweetness is brought out and then adding in my favorite thing ever… Balsamic vinegar! YASSS!!!
These onions are like candy. I could eat them plain, in fact, I totally did while I was waiting for the butternut squash to cook up on the stove.
Once you have the squash and onions done you’re all set to assemble these beauties.
The first layer, instead of sauce, I used the flavor bursting balsamic caramelized onions. Then I spread out the goat cheese, butternut squash, shredded rotisserie chicken and then a few raw walnuts for crunch. Once the pizza comes out of the oven, finish it off with a few fresh thyme leaves and voila!
I absolutely loved the flavors on this pizza. You could make it as a meal for your family, a fancy date night in, or serve it as an appetizer around the holidays. Either way, you NEED to make it! I guarantee you’ll be shocked at how good it is!
Bon Appetit friends!
- Serves: 2-4
- Serving size: 2
- Calories: 307
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated fat: 5 g
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Sugar: 8 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 14 g
- Cholesterol: 37 mg
- 1 large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1½ cups diced butternut squash
- 1 tablespoon grape seed oil
- salt to season
- 1 flatbread
- ½ cup shredded chicken (i used rotisserie)
- 2 oz. crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons diced walnuts
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat a medium skillet to medium high heat. Add butter and sliced onions. Saute until onions are caramelized, about 10-15 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar, cook for 2 minutes and set aside.
- In the meantime, to another skillet add grape seed oil and butternut squash. Saute until slightly browned, about 5-7 minutes. Set aside.
- Place flatbread on a baking sheet.
- Evenly spread caramelized onions on the crust. Sprinkle crumbled goat cheese on top of the onions. Next evenly spread the shredded chicken, the butternut squash and walnuts on top.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes, until crust is slightly crispy.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with fresh thyme.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE, BE SURE TO SNAP A PIC AND HASHTAG IT #JOYFULHEALTHYEATS. I LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE!
Want More Butternut Squash Recipes?