A hearty Minestrone Soup that will keep you warm and reboot your immune system this Fall!
Happy Friday peoples!!! And… happy Mystery Dish Day!
Can you believe it is already that time of the month, its seems like I just posted last months Mystery Dish post … which if you missed it was Cherry Watermelon Granita. (Yup.. shameless plug for myself there.. but hey a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do!)
I’m not sure if you guys realized this, but Mystery Dish has actually been going on now for about a year, crazy huh? We were going to stop after a year, but I think we all realized it was just a fun way to challenge each other in the culinary world. Plus who doesn’t like to play “chopped” at home… come on now! 🙂
So instead of ending we decided to do a little giveaway instead and then continue on but with a bigger group of bloggers. We are giving away two cookbooks! A Luca Manfe’s cookbook & Christine Ha’s cookbook, the previous winners of the MasterChef SHOW!!! So if you want a free cookbook with lots of yummy recipes… ps if you don’t your crazy… then enter to win at the end of this post.
Ok, back to the point, this month Andi from The Weary Chef was our host, the ingredients she choose for our Mystery Basket were ….
gluten-free flour (coconut, rice, almond, etc.)
red pepper flakes
What would you make with this basket?
My mind was kinda going everywhere but then I thought, well, why not just make a soup with it and through a bunch of the ingredients in? So that is exactly what I did!
When I say this dish is a Hearty Minestrone Soup I mean… its a HEARTY Minestrone Soup!
It is delicious beyond all get out, but at one point my husband looked at me and said…
“Did you just throw everything that was in the produce section into this soup?” Bahaha!
Yup… basically! But it totally works and seriously so good for you! I think there were like 10 vegetables total in this soup. No better way to eat your veggies then all together!
Now, before you start to freak out that there is cabbage in this soup, get over yourself and try it. Its delicious!
Why does cabbage get such a bad rap anyways?
So…. since we are about to enter “soup season” heres the first one you need to try … this Heart Minestrone Soup! Its perfect with a some crunchy bread for dunking and will totally satisfy that soup craving! Bon Appetite!
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1½ cups of onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 large zucchini, diced
- 1 large squash, diced
- 1 cup of frozen corn
- 1½ cups of green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 can of red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 can of white kidney beans (or great northern beans), drained & rinsed
- 6 oz. of fresh spinach
- 2 teaspoons of dry basil
- 1 teaspoon of dry oregano
- ½ teaspoon of dry thyme
- ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup of white white
- 2 (15oz.) cans of diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 7 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of whole wheat small pasta shells (or you could use whatever you want)
- ½ cup of parmesan cheese for garnish
- Heat a large Dutch Oven or Soup Pot to medium high heat. Pour in olive oil and then immediately add onions.
- Saute until translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Next add garlic and saute for 30 seconds and immediately add in white wine. Scrap the brown bites off the bottom.
- Next add in carrots, zucchini, squash, and corn. Saute for 6-8 minutes, until the vegetables are starting to get soft.
- Next add in basil, oregano, thyme, red pepper flakes, salt & pepper. Stir until herbs are combined.
- Add in fire roasted tomatoes, water, and vegetables stock.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes to let all the flavors soak in together.
- Next add in noodles, kidney beans, and white beans. Cook for 10 minutes, until noodles are done.
- Add in cabbage and spinach, stir in until wilted, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Serve with shredded parmesan cheese on top!
Enter to win FREE cookbooks!
See the Other Dishes Created for Mystery Dish!
Tuna Tacos with Avocado Corn Salsa by The Weary Chef
Blueberry Scones by Yummy Healthy Easy
Parmesan Crusted Tilapia by Culinary Couture
Minty Berry Fruit Roll Ups by I Want Crazy
Baked Blueberry Donuts by Chez CateyLou
Hearty Minestrone Soup by Joyful Healthy Eats
Blueberry Lemon Pannacotta with Pistachio Tuilles by Flavor the Moments
Minty Turkey Meatballs with Quinoa by The Pajama Chef
Blueberry Crumb Coffee Cake by I Dig Pinterest
Pistachio Drop Scones with Blueberry Compote by The Well Floured Kitchen
Grilled Corn & Blueberry Flatbread with Whipped Goat Cheese, Pistachios, and Basil Vinaigrette by Baking a Moment
Pistachio Crusted Tilapia and Peach Salad by Blahnik Baker